Mothering Forum banner

Now I'm Annoyed!

1K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  SunRayeMomi 
#1 ·
Okay Okay - I get it. I'm HUGE! Shutup already!

So, judging by the other topics in this forum I can tell that I'm not the only one that seems to be bigger than your average 27-weeker????

Just today alone I had two people comment on my size.
Typically it goes: "It's not twins?" or "I'm guessing it's not your first" or something equally offensive.

First of all, I feel a heck of a lot thinner and smaller than the first time - albeit I doubt that I am. But I feel GOOD. Do I really need people raining on my parade?
:

Second, it's summer and I'm wearing less clothing than I suppose they're comfortable with or something. They're not used to seeing so much pregnant belly, maybe?

Third, now, I know they are commenting on my belly size and not my caboose, but still! Since when in HECK is it nice to tell a pregnant woman her baby "must be a BIG ONE!" ???? I mean, I am shortwaisted people!! Gimme a break here.

grr.
: Does anyone else have any good comebacks for me?

I'm off to take a pic to post on the belly pics page. You guys be the judge.

See less See more
#4 ·
I am way bigger than last time, too and it is really annoying what people say! Especially, "Well, it's clearly not your first." Ugh.

One thing I found out, though, is that my uterus is measuring the same as my last pregnancy... (I had asked for my chart from my previous midwife to see all my lab work, etc. b/c of my gestational diabetes). I was starting to freak that I was going to have a huge baby this time around, but now I feel a little calmer knowing it's just because my stomach muscles are all looser this time around.

I like the comeback about having six babies... You could also say, "Of course it's not my first -- can't you see how supreme I am at growing babies? My body is made to do this."

Sorry it's 1:30 AM and HOT here in the Pacifc Northwest. I have insomnia. Sigh....

#5 ·
My DH hasn't had the privelage of experiencing the rude belly comments with me until this week. I think maybe people just feel sorry for me because of the heat or something. He was shocked at how many times I got stopped on my way to the shoe store the other day so people could tell me how huge I look. Of course I AM having twins, so it is kinda fun for me to say this to people and watch their eyes pop.
:

#6 ·
My dh and I have started avoiding eye contact with people or just simply pretending we didn't hear them when they say things about me or to me. If we don't, we get stopped like every two feet. The comments that I get about having triplets are very hurtful and rude most of the time and they're especially mean about how huge I am. Like I need to be told I'm huge, not like *I* didn't notice it.
: We pissed one person off because I just told them I wasn't actually pregnant at all.

#7 ·
Depending on my mood, I might just tell those who say such things that it's terribly rude to tell a pregnant woman that she looks huge - she's uncomfortable enough in that state without such comments from the peanut gallery.

I haven't really had trouble with that except for my dad who started asking me every week how far along I am exactly, how long a pregnancy lasts and how big I am. They live in another state and I talk with them on the phone every week. After a couple weeks of that, I told him those were questions you DO NOT ask a pregnant woman because she is trying to think about them as little as possible. I'm miserable enough, quite frankly, without thinking about how big I'm getting and how much further I have to go. It makes my blood boil just to think of it...

#8 ·
Oh, did I mention my DD is now telling me on a daily basis that I am getting fatter and fatter and fatter.......I just know she is picking it up from all the comments she hears from others.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamajody
Oh, did I mention my DD is now telling me on a daily basis that I am getting fatter and fatter and fatter.......I just know she is picking it up from all the comments she hears from others.
Ugh so is mine. Oh but yesterday when we went to the beach she was commenting on all the "designs" (read: stretch-marks) that I have on my stomach!
Well, that's a nice name for them! I didn't hesitate to thank her for giving them to me . . .

Yeah, I like the comment about giving birth alone in the woods or something. Hey, homebirth talk has always silenced people before, why not use it for this too eh?

It's almost as if they hear October and it sounds to them like that's a whole ten years from now. It's really not that far off!

#10 ·
I get wide-eyed stares every time I say 'I'm due in October'. I don't even say mid-October. I just say 'October'. One day I was so sick of it that I said 'early October', hoping that would avoid more eye-popping from strangers. Nope. Didn't do a thing. Grr.

You have all my sympathy!

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by deleria
I don't even say mid-October. I just say 'October'.
yeah, no kidding! I don't bother with telling the actual date (23rdish). I've actually even considered just out-and-out lying

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunRayeMomi

It's almost as if they hear October and it sounds to them like that's a whole ten years from now. It's really not that far off!
No Kidding! I only have 10 or 11 weeks left based on what the peri says. Based on my edd I have 13. Not much time to get one's life in order is it?

#14 ·
i was going to say that no one has said anything to me (except the ups guy, but he wasn't too bad but was shocked) but i am really good at avoiding eye contact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunRayeMomi
yeah, no kidding! I don't bother with telling the actual date (23rdish). I've actually even considered just out-and-out lying

same here! just "october . . ."

#15 ·
I can relate. I had a salesperson ask me. "Oh wow! How many more weeks?", when I said 11 her jaw dropped. Last week at church someone told me, "Oh, when I didn't see you in the church I thought you'd had the baby". Uh, no not even close. And I have started to tell people early October and they are shocked. Such fun, isn't it?

#17 ·
Wow I just had to post this. It happened AGAIN!

Where I work I get pretty much the same people in everyday. An older woman came in and said "You must be ready any day now, huh?" I said no, got a couple months yet. To which she replied "Oh, do you think it may be twins?" Just like that. I couldn't believe it. I must have stared blankly at her for like 7.9seconds. Then I said "Or it could be that this is just the way I carry my babies, since I carried the first out as well."
: Then I actually said (I couldn't stop myself!) "IF one more person asks me if I'm having twins I swear to GOD!" And she said "Oh. yeah. that's true . . " like she suddenly realized how rude she was

And I get to see her again.

Funny thing is, not 15 minutes later I had another regular who I hadn't seen in a while come in and tell me that I didn't look like I'd gained a pound. I coulda kissed him.

#18 ·
what is wrong with people?!?!? i have had a really hard time dealing with these types of comments from folks, and it is mostly people that i work with every day that are the rudest. "well you just keep getting bigger!" "you sure are huge." "i can't believe how much weight you've gained." first off, i'm short, there's only one place for this baby to go, and it's out. secondly, i'm pregnant, people! do you think i'm going to start getting smaller? and, i've only gained 16 pounds so far, which i don't consider to be a ton of weight.

2 weekends ago my MIL was visiting and kept commenting on how she couldn't believe how big i was. finally i told her that it gets really tough constantly hearing those comments and could she please keep them to myself.

and, like the PP said, most people act like october is a lifetime away, and it's really not! actually, i feel like i'm at crunch time here.

anyway, i can't totally relate.

#19 ·
Quote:
first off, i'm short, there's only one place for this baby to go, and it's out. secondly, i'm pregnant, people! do you think i'm going to start getting smaller? and, i've only gained 16 pounds so far, which i don't consider to be a ton of weight
EXACTLY! I'm short too. And, oh gee, I'm PREGNANT! 16 pounds is nothing! Especially since I gained 40 with my first. Sounds like you're right on target to me. I think I've only gained about 10 pounds (since I lost eight in the beginning). Anyway, people suck

#21 ·
Hey, how about this one?... I walked into the bookstore today, and the woman working there says, "Oh wow! Are you due soon, or are you having triplets?! I smiled and said, actually it is just twins and I am due in the fall." I was annoyed, but what she said next made me smile, she said, " Well you look fantastic for having twins! I hope you are holding up well in the heat." That made me feel much better, 'cause darn it I DO look good for having twins. I am short, and short waisted, and I have gained 30lbs so far. I look great considering.

BTW, I saw the perinatologist today (for those of you that don't read the multiples threads) and I am told based on my BP, blood sugar, and measurements (which are all fine just a little high compared to a singleton pregnacy) to expect to deliver in about 8-9 weeks rather than the 11-12 weeks I expected! Yikes, single digits!!!!!!! Now I just need to really pack on the lbs and get these babies to at least 5lbs each. Not far to go though, Baby A is 3lbs, and Baby B is 2.9lbs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.