Mothering Forum banner

Still breech?

693 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Alimaccat 
#1 ·
For those of us whose babies are still breech...

What are your plans?

My baby has been frank breech for 10 weeks now. We have been burning moxa almost nightly for 3 weeks, seeing an acupuncturist weekly and seeing a chiropractor for the Webster technique. I have also tried pulsatilla, breech tilt, music, cold/hot and pelvic rocks. We even tried the handstands in a pool which is harder than you think when you are 33 weeks pregnant!Obviously nothing has worked yet! I am now a little over 35 weeks. I know there is still time for her to turn! I am hopeful but also need to be realistic and plan for both outcomes.

I have been seeing midwives, but also followed by an OB friend for high blood pressure (which has been perfect). We have scheduled a version for next week (37 weeks by their dates, a few days earlier by mine). I am hopeful that she will turn on her own by then. Chances for a version are as good as they can be...she is still constantly on the move and my fluid levels are great. The other option presented by my OB was to have a version with an epidural scheduled for about 10 days prior to EDD. He has had a 100% success rate doing versions with epidural anesthesia. Mom is less uncomfortable and much more relaxed. Usually he would induce afterward if the version was successful or C/S if unsuccessful. I told him I was not interested in being induced or having a planned c-section and would wait for labor to start spontaneously.

If the version doesn't work next week, we can try the version again later with the epidural and then wait for labor to start. On a positive note, he didn't COMPLETELY cutoff the conversation about a vaginal breech birth.
He is an older OB and said we could talk further about that possibility if other options didn't work.

I very much want to enjoy these last few weeks of pregnancy and my pregnancy has been wonderful! I thought my blood pressure would be the greatest of my issues! It will be very hard for me to get through a wonderful pregnancy (with pre-existing high blood pressure as a possible complicating factor) and end up having a c-section just because she is breech! (By the way, I considered The Farm as well since I am in TN, but my blood pressure risks me out of their practice.) At least I know I have done everything I can. I am now trying to relax as much as possible (between all my appointments) and spend time talking with the baby to see if we can figure out why she hasn't turned. I try not to worry, but I am a nurse and have worked in NICU and L&D for seven years. I know too much!

Waiting to see what will happen...

See less See more
#3 ·
Just popping in to add one last thing to try (we got DS to turn at 36 weeks 4 days doing this). DH would get down at the bottom of my belly and talk to DS for as long as possible, with his mouth right against my belly and his head resting on my crotch/thighs. It got boring; DH would talk about what we had for dinner, the weather, etc. But DS really responded, and after awhile, he turned all the way over.

If he'd stayed breech, we planned to have an ultrasound at the onset of labor (didn't get far enough in the planning in this; don't know what we would've done if it was the middle of the night!) and proceed with a homebirth if the baby was firmly bottom-down. I feel for you. It's scary. And I remember that upside-down-in-the-pool thing. So weird when you're huge pregnant.

Good luck!

#4 ·
I still have a frank breech/ transverse presentation with the twins. I had Webster done today, and I will be restarting nightly Moxa tonight. if these techniques don't work I will end up with a c-section. They will not attempt a version with twins. OTOH the docs aren't as worried about the position as I am at this point, so I suppose I should just chill out and let them do their thing. I am only 33 1/2 weeks, so I have at leeast 3 weeks before I have to give up.

#6 ·
I'm 36 weeks today and still breech!
:
My plans are to try and birth naturally without induction, if it ends in an emergency c-sect so be it but I refuse to let them choose when the baby comes out. I find it a little bit barbaric to give me a c-sect in 2 weeks time just because it's in a bottom down position.
My midwife has said that they will let me do things this way because I have had 2 "normal" drug free deliveries. Apparently my ob insists that I have an epidural for a breech vag. birth but I would prefer not to so I'm still thinking about that one.

I think it's still possible for the baby to turn though so although I'm putting alot of thought into this part of my birth plan, I'm not letting myself worry about it too much.

#7 ·
I had my first session of the Webster technique yesterday, and it was fantastic! She was able to tell me exactly where I needed work. The broad ligaments on my left side were out of wack (tight where baby B was wedged) and so was my right IS joint . I was really surprised to feel the baby shift right away. Nothing major, just a relaxing kind of motion. Then both babies decided to rearrange themselves for a good 3 hours this morning with hardly any break at all. I had an NST this afternoon, and they were very active, and not anywhere near their positions from last week. Here's hoping for double vertex at the next exam!

#8 ·
Just want to say you're lucky your OB will consider a breech vag birth. My dd was breech from at least week 28 on...I could always feel her head in my ribs when I woke up in the morning. I wasn't very 'crunchy' back then and did some looking up on the net about turning her, but nothing worked. They tried a version at 39 weeks which didn't work. I wish I could have labored with her...I feel like I really missed something. She was a C-sec at 41 weeks. This time around I went with a homebirth Midwife who has attended many breech births. (That said, this time the baby is actually in the perfect position, go figure
) I know what you're going through, though.

#9 ·
I feel pathetic and sad, but this morning I found out that my vertex-for-a-month baby had flipped again, and I cried all the way home. It seems so silly, but I so don't want another section for breech. Something else, fine -- I'm high-risk all the way -- but something supposedly non-repeating like breech, after I just talked my OB into letting me go to 41 weeks even though I'm an insulin-dependent GD -- really, WHO does this happen to?!

#10 ·
I'm 35 weeks yesterday & today I'm not sure where the baby's head is at. There's not as much movement anymore, so harder to tell where feet might be. My debate is when to start more 'aggressive' turning attempts like Webster, moxibustion. I keep hearing different opinions - like if you try too soon, the baby could turn right back again, or if you try too late, the baby could descend & then is unmoveable once in place in your pelvis. And if I don't know where baby's head is, I don't know if I should keep doing the tilt board, homeopathy, etc. (I have 3 midwives at a local birth center, my next appt is not until the 13th, when I'm 36 weeks. On 9/1, they said baby has plenty of room to turn yet, but it's so hard not to worry. I feel for you all! This is the last thing I expected & I don't want a version. let alone a C-section.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnesMoM
Just want to say you're lucky your OB will consider a breech vag birth. My dd was breech from at least week 28 on...I could always feel her head in my ribs when I woke up in the morning. I wasn't very 'crunchy' back then and did some looking up on the net about turning her, but nothing worked. They tried a version at 39 weeks which didn't work. I wish I could have labored with her...I feel like I really missed something. She was a C-sec at 41 weeks. This time around I went with a homebirth Midwife who has attended many breech births. (That said, this time the baby is actually in the perfect position, go figure
) I know what you're going through, though.
I just wanted to say that they tend to let people who have already had fuss free labor & births attempt a breech vag. delivery. I've never heard of (in the Australian hospital system) them letting a first time mother do it and they usually schedule their c-sect 2 weeks before their due date. I asked my midwife why this was last night and the only answer she could give me was that it's a general fear of the unknown.

#12 ·
So I am 34 weeks today, and I had a fluid check at my NST. Incidentally they were able to confirm that both babies are now officially frank breech. We are getting better. It is definitely a step up from low laying transverse. In fact the way they are curved with their heads almost touching above my bellybutton they form a heart shape. Awwwwww! How cute! (Now move darn it! Move!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.