She's Here!!!!!! updates on page 3 w/PICS!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And asleep in my arms as I type this

I'll post a complete birth story in a few days...but for now here's a summed up version:

Sunday afternoon I spoke to my midwife (after my waters breaking that morning in case you hadn't read my "I'm in labour" thread) who said that she really wanted to have me come in right away (as they hadn't gotten GBS test results back yet nor could they say for sure that her head was engaged enough to prevent cord prolapse.) I went to the hospital (instead of my walk) & was told the baby looked good...but when they phoned for the test results from the lab- I was GBS + (and at what they believed to be 36 weeks there is way more of a risk of infection) so I had to be on IV antibiotics right away. They (my midwife & the OB that they have to consult with) also felt it would be better to go ahead with a pit induction (my ctx had completely stopped at this point)

They started pit at 7:00 PM. By 11:00 PM I was 2cm & they decided instead of keeping me up all night that they would disconnect the pit & start it again in the morning.

7:00 AM they start the pit. (DH is at home with the other 5 kids & decides not to send them to school) Things go very slowly...they can only turn up the % evey 15 min (to avoid over-stimulation of the uterus)
BTW: the midwife, my mom, the nurse & I bet on the birth stats...time, length & weight...I guessed 12:58, 6.5 & 18".
Because it was a "pitocin induction" the OB had ordered that I stay in bed & be on a continous fetal monitior. : (My butt was numb from sitting in the same position for so long by the end of it.)

12:58 no baby I lose the bet.
2:00 ish (I think...I'll have to check) DH shows up with our 11 & 8 yo girls.
By that point ctx had just started to require me to focus inward & stop talking thru the ctx. A quick internal shows that I am barely 4cm.
Our 11yo (who is SO not-maternal) stayed in the room for about 5 min then went to the lounge right across the hall to read a book. Our 8yo rubbed my feet w/my midwife.
About 2:40 on returning from the bathroom I stop & squat & really breath thru the ctx. My midwife rubbed my back (SO nice ) & I begged to be able to stay in that position for a few minutes. The nurse (who is expecting her own baby in November & was a total sweetheart) said that she wouldn't mention it.
2 ctx in that position & I realized that if I didn't get back on the bed I was going to be delivering the baby on the floor In my own home I wouldn't have cared...but I can only imagine what kind of ickiness is on a public hospital floor. My midwife checks me quickly & says that I am 7cm.

Back on the bed...I can't find a comfortable position...so for videotaping purposes & to allow the girls the best view I stick with an inclined sitting position. The midwife checks again as she figures by the pushy/grunty tone of the ctx that I am prob complete...a tiny bit of anterior lip is all that is holding her head back...so during the next ctx I push as she holds it back.
I push thru the next 2 ctx & her head starts crowning.
At this point I am really making a lot of (low) noise & I worry somewhere in the back of my mind about it's affect on the girls but I am way too focused on the task at hand to address any concerns they may have or to be any quietier...it hurt way more than our last birth which had been in water.
It feels like a bigger baby & as she is crowning I am sure that I am tearing up front...
After her head is out the midwife tells me to NOT PUSH while she unwraps the cord. (Easier said that done when your instinct is "get this out of me" )

2:58 our sweet baby girl Anna Sophia is born & I lift her to my chest. I can't help bawling with emotion...I can't help crying now writing this...it's so amazing to actually be holding her in my arms. (Oh! she smells so good!)

She stayed in my arms for almost an hour before the midwife asked if she could do the newborn exam. About 10 minutes after she was born as she was nuzzled up to my chest she started rooting at my nipple so I tickled it on her lip, she opened her mouth wide, I latched her on & she nursed like a pro the whole time. I was so impressed. Usually it takes a bit of work & they fall asleep as soon as they have the first suck.
We waiting until after the cord had stopped pulsating to clamp & cut it (our 8yo DD cut it)...birthed the (really large, healthy-looking) placenta...the midwife checked me for any tears...of which they were none. Yay!
(All while baby Anna was in my arms)

Newborn exam...
6 lbs 14 oz. (Like I had known all along...a bigger baby than all of the girls...by nearly a pound! And had she been the same gestation as her bother she would have been bigger than him, too!)
21" long!!! (I was surprised...although that explains a lot about her positioning in utero)
Her head circumference was larger than any of the girls...35cm (?...I'll have to double-check that)
And although she had a fair amount of vernix...the midwife agreed that she was obviously a 37 weeker (as I had known) not a 36 week preemie as the U/S had indicated (note to self: do NOT agree to a 1st trimester U/S for dating purposes again!)
She does have a minor birth defect...on her left foot her big toe & the one beside it are bigger than her other toes (significantly...it looks really weird!) but honestly...if that's the only thing wrong with her- I'm okay with that. We'll just keep her socks on

She is utterly gorgeous. Her head is perfect...no moulding, bruising, etc.
She has just a tiny bit of brown hair...dainty features...beautiful, long fingers, a nice amount of fat. I, of course, can't imagine a baby more perfect & beautiful than her.

The preemie clothes that I'd packed for the hospital are way too small. All of my girls have needed preemie clothes for the first week. We'll actually be able to put NB clothes on our NB!

I am having fun already testing her diaper collection. She's peed 3x & pooped 1x. The tiniest Mosaic Moon soaker & an Itty Bitty Buns OC dipe were her first : & both were PERFECT on! (which I took pics of & will post...I'm taking pics of her modelling it all so you can see how it all looks on a real live NB) The XS Firefly wool cover was actually too small for her. : The NB Kindhearted Woman dipe & the Sissy Crabapple soaker were both a good fit. And I've just changed her into an OV Swaddlebees SS NB dipe (this is a really nice fit...I'm sorry now that I only bought 2 of them)

We were allowed to leave 3 hours after her birth. I carried her out myself in her carseat. The other 3 kids at home were so excited to see her. It was actually kind of overwhelming cause they all wanted to hold her & touch her & I really just wanted to go to bed & sleep with her right away. It'll be quieter tomorrow when they're all (the older 4 anyway) at school.

Okay...that's it for now...I'm gonna try to get some sleep...I'll try to post pics in the next day or so...

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

#2 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 04:01 AM

: Anna!!!

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

#3 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 04:13 AM

I'm SO glad I was up to read this.

CONGRATULATIONS BCMAMA and welcome precious ANNA!!!!

I am so happy for you, your family and the safe arrival of your newest family member.

I can't wait to see pics of her in the fluff : I'm sure she is absolutely adorable.

Blessings to you
#4 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 04:22 AM

aww congrats!!

& happy birthday anna!
#5 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 04:33 AM

Congratulations!!!

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#6 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 05:08 AM

Congrats to you and your family!!!
#7 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 06:25 AM

Congratulations and welcome little Anna!!!

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#8 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 06:32 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Welcome baby Anna!!
#9 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 07:34 AM

Aww, what an awesome story! You did so great! Congratulations to you and happy birthday to sweet little Anna! (If ours was a girl it would have been an Anna, I love that name!)

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#10 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 08:21 AM

WONDERFUL! I"m so happy for you! And Happy Birthday Baby Anna!! Can't wait to see the pics!!
#11 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 08:37 AM

: yay!!! how exciting!! congratulations and welcome to the world sweet anna sofia!! enjoy your time with your sweet babe, and we can't wait to see the pics.
#12 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Banned

Congratulations!

I had my fingers crossed for you! Wonderful story! Welcome Baby Anna!!!
#13 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 08:45 AM

How wonderful! Congratulations on your new girl.
#14 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 09:02 AM

Congrats BCMama and Happy Birthday Anna! So great to hear that both of you are doing so well... and you were able to take her home after 3 hours? Thats absolutely amazing!!!! I'm a bit jealous here (my hospital keeps you 24hrs after birth) Congrats again and cannot wait to hear more and see some pictures of your wonderful little bundle of joy!
#15 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 09:42 AM

Congratulations!!!
#16 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 09:56 AM

Congratulations and welcome to the world, little Anna!
#17 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 09:57 AM

Wow mama, you did great! Congrats on your baby girl!
#18 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 10:17 AM

Congratulations!!!! And a big to Anna!!!! :

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#19 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 10:18 AM

Oh, what a beautiful story. I'm getting all teary reading it, sooooo looking forward to experiencing birth myself! Congratulations, that is such great great news. I can't wait to see photos!
#20 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 10:20 AM

Congratulations! Brightest Blessings to you and your family. Welcome to the world little Anna! What a great birth story. Thanks for sharing it with us. I shared it with my Anna who is now very excited for her twins to get here. Enjoy those oh so sweet baby snuggles, and give her an extra one from me! BTW, PM me your addy. I have a little something for the new arrival.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#21 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 10:21 AM

Yay and congrats! I'm all teary eyed especially at your description of her nursing and her smell. Those are the two things I'm most excited about! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!
#22 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 10:27 AM

: :
Well I had only been gone for 3 days and now you ladies are having babies... Thank you for sharing such a wonderful experience
#23 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 10:32 AM

Wonderful! Congratulations!!

I can't believe it's really getting going around here!

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
#24 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 10:39 AM

AWE! Congrats! What a beautiful name and wonderful story! I;m so excited for you!! Can't wait to see her picture!!
#25 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 11:19 AM

Congratulations to you and your family!
#26 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 11:20 AM

Congratulations on your new baby girl Anna! Good job mama!!! I love the name BTW

\m/

#27 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 11:40 AM

Congratulations!!! What a wonderful birth story - glad all went well!!!
#28 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 11:56 AM

Hooray! Congratulations on your baby girl!!!! What a great story!

:
#29 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 11:56 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome Anna!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#30 of 73 Old 09-12-2006, 12:19 PM

Happy Belated Birthday Anna

Congratulations on your daughter...I can't wait till we all have our precious babies in our arms!

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page