Any moms knowingly have a c-sec this time around? Or have previously had one?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-15-2006, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any other moms knowly having a c-section this time around? Or any moms who've previously had one?? I ask because I'm scheduled on the 25th for my section with DS. I'll be 37 weeks along. I'm kinda dumb as to what I will NEED while I'm there during my stay of recovery (and anything I may want while he's in NICU)

With DD her birth was at a birth center (albiet connected to a hospital) and all I brought was myself, DH, her diaper bag of going home outfit, a few dipes, and cameras and our going home clothes.

I'm not sure what to bring with for this babe. He'll be in NICU for awhile and I will be recovering, so I know DH and I will need clothes enough to last 3-5 days. But other than clothes.... what other stuff did you mamas bring to the hospital while you went through your experience with your kid(s)?? Was there anything that was more of a treat that you brought- like a laptop to keep you occupied or a book or heck even card making supplies??

This is cross posted from my FTY Area, but please post any and all things that you brought (or are planning on bringing). From undergarments to luxury items!

Thank you!!

TIA

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#2 of 12 Old 09-15-2006, 02:58 PM

I brought for me:
Gown and Robe
Slippers
socks
toothbrush
toothpaste
shampoo
soap
brush
few pairs of comfy pants and tees
laptop (for homework)
announcements
cards
gameboy
phone card

For baby:
car seat
going home outfit
blankets
#3 of 12 Old 09-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Banned

I didn't know at the time it would end up that way so I didn't bring much. Things I wish I had brought:

More than one pair of slippers... I got blood on everything and it was gross not having stuff to change into/out of.

They put compression stockings on me before the surgery. Blood got all over them and I had to leave them on for almost two more days. It was gross. If I ever get another section I would ask them to make sure and tuck something over them to keep them from getting soaked in blood.

A plastic bowl and some washclothes, so if you are feeling well enough you can do your own sponge bath (you can probably get this from the hosp. )

My own breastpump. I didn't own one at the time and we had a hard time getting the BF'ing started, I think in part due to the section. The hospital only had two and the floor was full so they had to keep sterilizing everything and taking it away/brining it back. You can check ahead of time and see what they will have.

I wish I hadn't brought my boppytype pillow, took up a lot of space and wasn't really useful in the hospital for me.

Good luck, I hope everthing works out ok.
#4 of 12 Old 09-15-2006, 03:48 PM

Not section related, but for baby in the NICU, you can bring a stuffed toy to sit in his bed, a nice blanket for his bed, some baby clothes that are NICU-friendly (my DS wore regular snap-up sleepers, with wires coming out between the snaps, but some NICUs have policies against snaps and other things, so check with yours first). Most other baby stuff you'd be able to go home and get later if you need it, unless you live hours away from the hospital or something.

I'm praying for you and your baby boy! I know this has been a really hard pregnancy for you.
#5 of 12 Old 09-15-2006, 04:03 PM

Not in your DDC, but I saw this. I am also having a scheduled C-section this time and also at 37 weeks and I am also concerned about a possible NICU stay. My second DD was in the NICU for 9 days at this same hospital, so I kind of know "the way of the NICU" which can be very overwhelming, especially when you are recovering from surgery as well. This will be my third cesarean, but my first planned one.

After the first 24 hours or so I prefer to wear my regular clothes. It just makes me feel better. And since you'll be hiking to and from the NICU a LOT, it might make you feel less exposed. I bring maternity clothes from early/mid pregnancy or super stretchy regular clothes. I have a pair of yoga pants that are not maternity that I can still wear and I plan to bring those with me.

Bring your toiletry bags. Most hospitals provide absolutely NOTHING in the way of shampoo, etc. Having all those things helped me feel somewhat human again.

I also bring 2 pillows for me from home. They are SOOO much more comfy than the hospital ones and help me get a comfortable position in bed at night. I bring one for DH too.

I would bring a camera and a video camera. Don't forget to bring chargers and extra batteries and battery chargers. And extra film and/or digital media.

Bring a notebook and lots of pens/pencils for writing down what the neonatalogist says and so that you can write down questions for the docs and nurses. The early days with a baby in the NICU can be a total blur and it can take several readings/hearings to process the information you are being given.

I don't know what your nursing situation will be, but I plan to bring a nursing pillow and nursing bra.

The hospital is BORING and there will be times that the NICU is closed to visitors and/or you just need a break from the NICU. I plan to bring: puzzle books, iPod, knitting, and a portable DVD player.

Become as familiar with the NICU and the hospital as soon as you can. Better to do this before the birth if possible. Know where the cafeteria is. Where the coffee shop is. Where the NICU is. When NICU visiting hours are. What are their policies for who can come in to see the baby, how many at a time, etc. Knowing all this stuff ahead of time means you can plan and get a sense for how to plan your time there. How does the parking work? Can you get a free parking pass if you have to pay? Maybe talk to the NICU social worker in advance about what services the NICU/hospital has to offer. We found the NICU social worker to be a highly invaluable resource.

One thing my DH did that helped us out was that he located a wheelchair for me and sort of appropriated it. We claimed it for the time I was in the hospital. It really helped in those first few days since it was a LONG hike from the post partum floors to the NICU and too far for me to walk that soon after surgery. That way we didn't have to keep hunting down a wheelchair when we needed one.

I will try to think of more things. Hugs to you. I've been reading your posts about your son and I am hoping that things work out as well as possible.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#6 of 12 Old 09-15-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinsmama
A plastic bowl and some washclothes, so if you are feeling well enough you can do your own sponge bath (you can probably get this from the hosp. )
I'm not sure how it is in all hospitals, but the one I've been in lets you get up first thing in the morning and shower.
#7 of 12 Old 09-15-2006, 05:21 PM

I was able to shower the morning after my (evening) C-section.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#8 of 12 Old 09-16-2006, 12:03 AM
Banned

I don't know why they did it but I wasn't allowed to shower for two disgusting days. Maybe the stitches weren't looking great, I'm pretty blurry on what was going on then.
#9 of 12 Old 09-16-2006, 08:41 AM

blanket that smelled like me to go with the baby
my own pillows
rescue remedy
homeopathic arnica
homeopathic hypericum
nettle tea
other food that hospital won't have
plenty of bottled water
vitamin e
music from home

Jaya- unschooling mama to Ariah Rayheartbeat.gif1/02   Rukundo Pacifiquebuddamomimg1.png11/08  

missing Trace Oak candle.gif 10/25/06

#10 of 12 Old 09-16-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I don't know why they did it but I wasn't allowed to shower for two disgusting days.
If you still have an IV and/or a catheter they probably won't allow you to shower. I asked for mine to be removed ASAP so that I had improved mobility and access to the NICU.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#11 of 12 Old 09-16-2006, 12:14 PM

I had an unscheduled C/S the first time around, and I second the recommendation for your own breast pump, or at least to find out ahead of time if they will have a hospital-grade pump you can begin using immediately. You may be able to go to a medical supply place and rent one ahead of time to take with you, all the stuff it will come with is sterile and bagged and ready to go... that way you can get your precious babe that precious colostrum ASAP and your milk will come in sooner as well.

Best to you and please keep us posted!
#12 of 12 Old 09-20-2006, 01:11 AM

I had a csec with my son, and the only thing I can think of that would be nice is my favorite luxurious body wash, and really do get up and shower, even though you might not feel like getting up at all. I very reluctantly got up and after my shower I felt fabulous!

Also the homeopathic arnica is a great idea!

Good luck with everything!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page