Anyone else really unprepared? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I realized on Monday that next week -- NEXT WEEK -- this baby would be full term (37 weeks). AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (runs screaming through the house in panic). We still have one more floor to refinish, one more room's trim to paint, curtains to make and hang in our room and the nursery, a whole bunch of stuff to sell to make room in the nursery for things like -- oh, the glider that is sitting in a box in the living room. Oh, yes, and don't I need to pack a bag for the hospital, launder the baby's clothes (actually, I need to get the baby some clothes first) and diapers AND make a whole bunch of freezer meals?!

Am I alone in being completely unprepared?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 12:58 PM

Get to work...

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#3 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 01:03 PM

Yes,totally unprepared.But it isn't like babies come to us for what we have 'prepared'.They are just coming to be here or at least that is what i keep telling myself.
#4 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 01:04 PM

I don't believe in being prepared anymore. As long as there are changes of clothes in my minivan for all four children and diapers/panties in the back pack that lives in said minivan... I feel prepared.

I don't know. I guess the more we prepare, the more unprepared we are.
#5 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 02:10 PM

I feel exactly the same way. I am definitely not prepared. I'm pretty much banking on baby not being on time. Or at least definitely not being early. I'm 38 weeks today. We're in the midst of painting the living room, which we should finish this weekend. Then I still need to wash the many bags of hand-me-downs and put them in the dresser (which should also be done being painted this weekend). Then we have to reorganize our home office so it can accommodate the sewing table that is taking up space in the baby's room, so that I can finish organizing that room. Plus I'm still training people to take over my job. Whew! I think I can do it all if he's a week late or so. Which I fully expect since everyone in my family was late.
#6 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 02:14 PM

Totally unprepared. I have been telling everyone this. I am so ready to not be pregnant, but dont really want baby here yet either. lol I feel like i haven't been able to recoup from moving 800 miles and get unpacked and settled yet. I did go to 43wks with Chloe... but just knowing that I am 37wks on Saturday... eek. It *really* truly could be anytime now. As we are seeing from some of our Oct mamas already

Crystal
#7 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 02:15 PM

I'm more or less prepared for the physical arrival of the new baby (clothes, homebirth supplies, freezer meals, etc.) but I'm just now starting to think about being emotionally ready! Every morning I realize that today could be the day and I have to repeat again and again "I can do this!"

Mama to Sophia (2/25/04) , Oliver (10/24/06) , and Norah (3/2/10).
#8 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 04:35 PM

I'm not even close to being ready. The house is such a disaster and there is so much to finish. Mostly things that AREN"T oing to get done so I need to just get over it. The baby's room was supposed ot be painted, carpeted and all set by now. Well it's not. It' snot even finished being mud and tapped or sheetrocked! So much fo rbeginning hte remodel back in MAY! And we are supposed to have anew heating system installed by now.. and guess what.. that's not done either. it wont' be until spring now.. so not sure how we are heating our rooms this winter. ANYWAY! Plus i have to do the freezer meals, and get teh clothes washed.. i did wash teh diapers though.. so if he arrives at elast his butt is covered. AND i have to get my kids birthdya stuf done adn get ready for the holidays. BUT we're not stressing about that until Dec 22.!
#9 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 04:58 PM

We are 'mostly' prepared for baby to come but emotionally - I'm not sure. The one thing I am stressing about most is work. I have multiple meetings, reports, etc. to get done in the next few weeks. I should be able to get everythin done since my due date is late Oct but I can't help but think what would happen if she decides to come early!!! Most of our organizations budget and finances for next year are contingent upon my reporting :

\m/

#10 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 05:22 PM

Emotionally, I'm readier than ready. I so can't wait to meet this baby. With the removal of my cerclage coming in just a week (and my DS's arrival just 8 days after that event last time), I think we'll be meeting this baby fairly soon.
Other than that...hmmm, not so much. Ummm, we have the car seat, so baby can come home. I've washed some clothes...so who cares if we have a girl who initally wears a lot of blue, right?!?! IF it's a boy, it's set for it's clothing. Thankfully, baby's eating and sleeping arrangements are easily found (my breasts and my bed), so I guess the basics are being met.
We haven't even touched the nursery yet, and really don't plan to use it for at least 2 months...not for any decorated purposes at least.
Now, if only I could get my 3 year old to use the toilet...there would be one less set of diapers to be changing!!! That would be blissful!!
#11 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmediainc View Post
I don't know. I guess the more we prepare, the more unprepared we are.
i couldn't agree more with this statement....
#12 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 06:42 PM

I feel unprepared, but I know we'll be fine.
Actually, I am so sick of being pregnant I just want my clothing to fit again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So that in itself is prompting me to be ready for this baby. Did you hear that baby? I'm ready (as I go running through the house thinking of all those last minute things I still need to finish)

We're almost there, mamas! Babies are coming!

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#13 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

So my belly is getting too big for many of the shirts I've been wearing AND it's beginning to turn cooler here so my hot weather clothes may not hold out until kiddo is born. All this to say that I dropped into a consignment store on the way to work and encountered a new mom with her two-week old girl, born six weeks early -- holy ! Oh well, like happiestmama said, eating and sleeping arrangements are ready to go. I will say, though, that my OB today said she anticipates I'll go to 40 or 41 weeks. No internal, just the GSB and her guess...based on what, I wonder?
#14 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 10:50 PM

I totally gave up on trying to prepare. I can't even get the house to stay clean longer then a few hours with my 3 kids I'm ready when she is!
#15 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthy~Mama View Post
I totally gave up on trying to prepare. I can't even get the house to stay clean longer then a few hours with my 3 kids I'm ready when she is!
Honey, come on over for a cup of tea. You are living my life!

My kids are 6, 2.5, 11mo and I'm due 10/7. So nice to have someone similiar!!!

ETA: Why the hell do you have to be in Japan? LOL
#16 of 21 Old 09-21-2006, 11:40 PM

Well...I am totally unprepared as well...we don't have any birthing suppiles and the tub won't be arriving for another couple of weeks...our house is a wreck...yeah...I'm right there with ya - AND I can't do any cleaning since I am on bed rest!:
#17 of 21 Old 09-22-2006, 09:11 PM

I am so not prepared, not even close to like I was ready last time. Of course the house is a mess and the to do list is long, yet I sit and stare at the mess cause I'm tired again (like in 1st tri) Maybe I'm just trying to push the baby's arrival back ... but really I think I'll be a few days early, not sure why but I do.

Well I've been hiding from friends and the boards for a while but just maybe I'm starting to feel the nesting phase kick in. GOSH I hope so!!! So I hope to add more posts here as the time approaches. (6 more weeks to go) Last time I started cntx, DH came home and I made him help me finish cleaning up house before we dare left for the hospital. I'm trying not to repeat that this time, but sure may have some clean up with a 2 yr old. OH and that brings up another issue, we have NO plans as to what to do with her when time comes. Our family is out of state, and I guess I just have to be brave and call some friends. I don't like leaving her with "just" anyone. I think that's the biggest part of being unprepared that keeps me awake at night. We have got to make plans pending what day and what time of day/ night baby wants to come.

Ok I hope to get some motivation now from all you prepared ones and pick up some clutter ... that is if my feet can handle it!!
#18 of 21 Old 09-22-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_rad View Post
OH and that brings up another issue, we have NO plans as to what to do with her when time comes. Our family is out of state, and I guess I just have to be brave and call some friends. I don't like leaving her with "just" anyone. I think that's the biggest part of being unprepared that keeps me awake at night. We have got to make plans pending what day and what time of day/ night baby wants to come.
This actually is a concern of mine too and we aren't even going to the hospital or anything. I was worried last time and Chloe ended up being born when everyone else was sleeping. I hope its that way this time. My son has autism and sometimes has freak out sessions and hits himself. Then I have my almost 3yr old who likes to scream instead of use her words. I have NO idea what it will be like if I am in labor during say like... dinner time lol. I can just picture it. Malachi freaking out. Chloe throwing a tantrum. Hannah not knowing what to do. Me in active labor or pushing. DH trying to deal with us all. It scares me just thinking about it
#19 of 21 Old 09-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwitch View Post
So I realized on Monday that next week -- NEXT WEEK -- this baby would be full term (37 weeks). AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (runs screaming through the house in panic). We still have one more floor to refinish, one more room's trim to paint, curtains to make and hang in our room and the nursery, a whole bunch of stuff to sell to make room in the nursery for things like -- oh, the glider that is sitting in a box in the living room. Oh, yes, and don't I need to pack a bag for the hospital, launder the baby's clothes (actually, I need to get the baby some clothes first) and diapers AND make a whole bunch of freezer meals?!

Am I alone in being completely unprepared?
Good news is that babies don't really need nurseries; they couldn't care less what color the walls and the curtains are and how cute their crib is . All they need is to feel their mom's smell, warmth, breath and heartbeat...they wouldn't trade it for the world (not to mention for a nursery ).
#20 of 21 Old 09-23-2006, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
All they need is to feel their mom's smell, warmth, breath and heartbeat...they wouldn't trade it for the world (not to mention for a nursery ).
...but what if the mom hasn't showered or brushed her teeth? Okay, now I'm just being difficult.
#21 of 21 Old 09-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwitch View Post
...but what if the mom hasn't showered or brushed her teeth? Okay, now I'm just being difficult.
But you can do it only when the little one is asleep anyway, right? So, just instead of sleeping in the crib for his naps our babe sleeps on our/family bed, just where he sleeps at night time .
Co-sleeping was one of the best decisions our family made! Now I can't even imagine our baby waking up alone in another room and I can imagine even less me GETING UP and RUNNING TO ANOTHER ROOM (ALOOOOOOOOOOOT of work ) every time he's awake. Instead I'd just stick my boob into his mouth and we both happily fall back to sleep ...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page