Speaking of baby clothes..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-22-2006, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
....um, we have almost none. Everyone keeps telling me "oh, you'll get so many clothes you won't know what to do with them all!" and we've received like no clothes at all!

My mom will be in town for the birth as will, obviously, my husband - so they can go get clothes once the baby is born, but is it strange that I have hardly anything? I have about 7 onesies, two sleepers, and a few caps. Am I totally off the mark with this? I just figured that within 24 hours, we could get a stash going of clothes once we knew what the sex of the baby is. I"m at a point that if I see any more yellow or green clothes (or even white for that matter), I'm going to hurl.

Is anyone else like me? Will there be any other naked babies wandering around at the end of October, lol?!?!?
#2 of 13 Old 09-22-2006, 05:11 PM

The only clothing I might buy before hand that you don't already have is a few layette gowns, they have cute ones that could be used for either sex. I use them a lot when my babies are little but it won't be hard to go out and buy some once baby is born.
I think you're fine, they really don't need much.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#3 of 13 Old 09-22-2006, 05:12 PM

We never were given very much baby clothes before we had Gabe (our first). I think this is because we didn'y know the gender so people were waiting. During the three months or so after he was born, we received TONS of size 3-6 month clothing (too much), and also some 0-3 month sized clothing that he only fit into for a few weeks because we got it too late. ??? So I wouldn't count on other people for the 0-3 month size clothing. Don't go overboard, but do make sure you have ALL the bare necessities you will need in that size. Then, after baby is born, you can gauge what else you might need. That's my advice.

I would suggest having some onesies on hand for layering on cold days, definitely get some booties for their little feet since this will be a fall baby, and those newborn gowns are the BEST when they are young, but not good for car rides because they leave their legs cold if they are in a carseat. So a couple of pant-outfits would be good for times when you have to take the baby in the car.

This pregnancy is our second boy so we have received absolutely nothing for the baby so far. We don't need much, but I am hoping someone will get him something cute after he is born-- it would be a nice gesture. We'll see!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#4 of 13 Old 09-22-2006, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmm...thanks ladies! I dont' want to sound like I'm expecting clothes, its just that when I spoke to other moms they all said that lots of people would give clothing "because they are so cute". So, we waited on buying clothes. And now we feel like we don't have much at all. I'm intrigued by the "bare essentials"....I guess we need some booties (we already have some socks) and such. I'm such a yutz when it comes to what babies wear! Do we need:

- jacket (for fall?)
- sweat shirt/sweaters
- snowsuit/winter jacket
- Do onesies qualify as a whole outfit? The long sleeved/long legged ones?

I just have no idea...lol, I guess I should go shopping for a few more items just in case.
#5 of 13 Old 09-22-2006, 07:09 PM

We received hardly any clothes for the twins at my shower, but I am rolling in hand me downs. Mostly short sleeve onesies and sleepers.I went out and bought leggings and long sleeve shirts on sale. I also got 2 fleece jackets and matching hats from Zutano for stroller outings, and I splurged on convertible organic cotton sleep sacks and long sleeved onsies from the store I work at. I think we will be all set as long as the boys can fit into regular NB clothing. I only have 4 rompers in the preemie size.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#6 of 13 Old 09-22-2006, 11:51 PM

We don't have hardly anything yet either. I think the only thing we are set on is diapers...but even those I feel we could use some more. We do have a washer and dryer and my husband is soooo helpful with household stuff that I am not worried about it...we also have a 13 year old who can throw in a load too.

This is what we have so far (besides the diapers):
-3 onsies (short sleeve)
-3 sleepers (two of which I pulled out of my youngest daughters doll clothes-they used to be newborn clothes but she swindled them a few years ago)
-3 gowns

I feel that what we have will get us through a couple of days and by then people will be asking what we need and I can tell them exactly!!

I guess I should get some socks/booties and something to cover the babies hands with so he doesn't scratch his face.

We also don't have a crib, dresser, changing table, any toys, etc. but I think all that stuff is unnecessary for us.

Oh we DEFINATELY need a carseat still!! But I still have more than a month to go so plenty of time here.

Is there any necessity that I left out???
#7 of 13 Old 09-23-2006, 12:39 AM

I did get a lot of clothes (mainly sleepers and onesies) AFTER DS was born. You know, when people show up to view the baby they usually don't arrive empty-handed. That isn't the most convenient thing for planning purposes, though. I will say that I didn't end up short-changed, but then I did a lot of shopping on my own just in case. You know what, some of those gift onesies (usually in the smallest size - which he had outgrown in two weeks) were great for re-gifting to new moms! I saved a stash of those clothes with tags that I didn't use and gave them away over the last year and a half. I still have an outfit left to give!

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#8 of 13 Old 09-23-2006, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think jackets for newborns are useless, I just keep them wrapped up in a warm blanket. If I'm out and about then baby is in a sling nice and warm next to me, I have a big jacket I can zip up around us. A long armed and legged onesie might count as an outfit depending on where you live. Newborns should have one more layer then you do to stay warm. I'm in CO, I don't use the thin little outfits, our house is too cold. All of my newborn outfits are the thicker sleeper ones, I also keep a layer underneath that as well, like a t-shirt or onesie. My baby will also always be wrapped up in a blanket for a while, it's cold here already, it snowed on my way into town yesterday. And at night I have several fleece gowns that zip that I use, I was given some of the cotton ones with dd but they were too thin. DD was born in Jan. I've never used booties, just thicker socks.

I didn't receive any 0-3 clothes when dd was born. Everyone that came to visit brought 3-6 clothes, diapers, or food. I would at least make sure you have the bare essentials, worst possible case you can return them if you get alot of gifts, but I know I would not want to go shopping right after having a baby. I want a fleece sack outdoor outfit in a 3-6 month size, I never needed one with dd, but I know with a 3.75 year old, I'm going to be pulling her sled up the hill with baby in the sling.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 13 Old 09-23-2006, 09:11 AM

Amy,

I was givent he most awesome fellce outdoor outfit for DD after she was born. It is essentially the hooded snow suit type fleece one piece, but then it has a bag that goes over it and buttons to the shoulders of the one piece. That bag then has the hole for the car seat buckle in it. Very useful for snowy New England. Now I just need another one,'cause my DD will be 3.5 this winter, so I'll be out in the weather with the boys too.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#10 of 13 Old 09-23-2006, 04:15 PM

I'm right there with you, chaibaby. I'm curious, how many picture frames do people think I'm willing to dust?

Seriously, we were inundated with picture frames and 6 mo old clothes (none of which I would put on my child...the lovley old ladies from church just aren't hip like me ).

This thread has been so helpful, because I, too, don't really know what babies wear. I've never been a big baby watcher, I guess. I have heard that the first couple of weeks gowns are your best friend because you can just pull them up, change the diaper, and pull them back down again...no fussing with snaps!

I plan on using gowns, shirts, leggings (a new idea that I gleaned from this thread) and keeping little Jeter wrapped up all snuggly in a blanket. Oh, yeah, hats and booties and socks, too. Fortunately, I went from almost zero to nearly stocked today because there was a children's consignment sale at a local preschool. Stocked up on gowns there, and a gift from a friend my MIL gave us several LS lap Ts. Until 1 PM today, though, we had very little to dress this little guy in.

I still really want some of those cute little kimono tops, though!
#11 of 13 Old 09-25-2006, 10:38 AM

Just finished up pir baby shopping over teh weekend. We were all set for diapers but i needed clothes. I'm kinda the odd one out on this though... i don't like to keep them in teh little sleeper things. I like my kids to actually be dressed in clothes. Silly I know.. but i do. I have some of the thicker fleecy Pj's for sleeping and then i have a few one piece outfits or 2 piece outfits for the baby to wear. I have about 5 or 6 baby hats (htose newborn cap things) and a bunch of socks. I also have a apir ofbootie things and a snowsuit and winter hat. I had bought a jacket but returned it and got a thick sweatsuit type thing instead. I also bought 2 preemie sized outfits incase he's small. DD was 7 1/2 lbs and still needed preemie clothes for hte first 2 weeks. So i got a pair of preemie PJ's and a premie outfit for coming home (but if he's too big for them i'll just pass them on to a friend) So total we have
2 preemie outfits
3 nb outfits/one piece things
5 0-3 month outifts
5 3-6 month outfits
3 o-3 sleepers
4 3-6 sleepers
a bunch of socks
8-10 onsies (the short sleeve body suit type things) and a few long sleeve ones
1 pr booties
4 or 5 littel hats
snowsuit (which is more liek a bunting thing)

We don't use those layette gowns cause i hate them! LOL My kids legs always froze in them and they were never super heavy pee'ers so i never changed them in the night. We are on kid #3 so I highly doubt anyone is giving us stuff, so i'd rather be prepared adn not have to send DH or MIL out to get stuf after baby is born! (That happened with DD)
#12 of 13 Old 09-25-2006, 03:33 PM

As a first time mom I'm a little clueless on clothes too. We have about four garbage bags full of hand-me-downs, which I have yet to organize, but I think there's only a little bit of newborn stuff in them. I figure we probably have enough to get started and I also anticipate getting clothes after he's born as presents. Plus we have TONS of baby blankets. Depending on the weather I figure baby might be happy just swaddled in blankets at first.
#13 of 13 Old 09-25-2006, 04:01 PM

I have waay to many clothes, all pretty much gender neutral, but I got them all really cheap (no one has given us anything for baby #2 and I sold positively everything from baby #1 not planning to have another ) but yard sales are a GREAT source of nice cheap stuff...
So if you need anything, let me know!

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page