Swelling solution? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2006, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there has to be some sort of herb that is okay for pregnant women to help reduce swelling but I just don't know what it is. Basically everything below my knees are swelling by about halfway through the day. Not super bad but it makes me not want to do anything that involves being on my feet... I don't remember this with the other pregnancies. Anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, I eat healthy, try to limit the salt so I don't know if a change in diet would help? We are vegetarians...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2006, 01:25 AM

I've recently had my DH apply a great deal of pressure (with his massive hands) around my calves, ankles and feet while he massages them. It seems to temporarily get rid of the swelling and feels really good, too.

Baths and swimming can also be helpful, because the water pressure can help reduce edema.

That's about all I know, though. Best of luck, mama!
Old 09-23-2006, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

We do the massage thing and it feels soooo good. He has been really good about massaging my legs and feet a couple of times a day lately but as soon as I get up there it goes again. I will definately try swimming-my bathtub is too small for submersion!! The weather here has been warm so maybe the swelling is just from that??? Thanks for the advice, I am definately going to the pool tomorrow!
Old 09-23-2006, 02:02 AM

Reducing your salt intake could be contributing to your swelling. Add salt to taste HOWEVER ONLY USE REAL CELTIC SEA SALT> Processed table ionized salt is BAD and NOT healthy. Real salt is full of minerals our bodies need,

michele

HTH
Old 09-23-2006, 02:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mika3 View Post
I know there has to be some sort of herb that is okay for pregnant women to help reduce swelling but I just don't know what it is. Basically everything below my knees are swelling by about halfway through the day. Not super bad but it makes me not want to do anything that involves being on my feet... I don't remember this with the other pregnancies. Anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, I eat healthy, try to limit the salt so I don't know if a change in diet would help? We are vegetarians...

What helps me a lot (I'm in the December ddc) is working out, doing cardio on a cross-trainer for about 45-60 minutes. I think it's that I'm drinking a lot, sweating, and (what a surprise...) peeing every 20 minutes, but any way you look at it, it's a really active fluid exchange system. For whatever reason, it takes my swelling away. Thank god.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:16 PM

I have had no issues with swelling this pregnancy, and my midwife swears she has never seen a woman who is getting enough protein and magnesium have ANY problems with swelling, blood pressure, etc. I have been taking a soy protein shake each day since before my pregnancy... maybe that would help you, too.

User Tag List