My 37wk appt today... bp was up :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2006, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my homevisit today (in case I decide to call her for the birth) and my blood pressure was up for me. Last time it was 120 over I forget. But this time it was 130/90 Which she said was high for me. I have gotten swelling in my feet this last week as well. Well , I have been having some but it's now more puffy.

So I have to just lay on my left side a lot and drink tons of water. I wasn't spilling any protein so that is at least good right???? I don't have severe headaches and no belly pain.

What all can I do to keep my bp from going up more? Is there a way to stop pre-e if it's already started? I'm concerned cause I can't have any probs that send me to the hosp. I have no idea what to do with the kids. I would end up being there by myself and dh here with them. What do people do in these situations???

I don't even know how to relax really. DH has to go into work till 8pm. So I have the kids all day. Malachi was up at 4. He has been really stimmy today and I am waiting for a freak out session. How am I to stay calm all day??? lol

Anyone else have their bp go up and not get worse???? And with having some feet swelling too?

Not the greatest appt ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2006, 03:43 PM

Well, it's not yummy, but drink some cream of tartar with lemon juice. You can also eat lots of garlic. Drinks tons and tons of water, stay off your feet as much as possible, eat cucumbers.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
Old 09-23-2006, 03:49 PM

Tough situation. Hang in there, drink lots of water, and (i know you just said you don't even know how) but try to relax. Take a bath by yourself while dh takes the kids somewhere, read a funny book, do whatever it is you enjoy doing and try to get your dh to help out as much as possible. Just focus on trying to take care of yourself as much as possible, which I know is hard with other kids around.

This is a little different situation but my 1st pregnancy at about 38 weeks the midwife took my blood pressure and said, oh, it's high (a tiny bit high for me perhaps but still well below "normal"), and then went on to tell me all the nasty things about pre-e, then took my blood pressure again (and it was REALLY high! - duh!!! - let's see if she can give me a major case of white coat syndrome!) but I think for me that was just a fluke sort of thing because the next time it was back down low like usual.

hth a little,
lizabird

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
Old 09-23-2006, 03:50 PM

No advice, I just wanted to from the couch where I am on my left side doing the same thing. My BP situation is the same as yours, but no swelling. Did they ask you to do bloodwork? I had labs done after my BP didn't go down yesterday and my kidneys were a little off. I am staying off my feet and pushing the water BIG time. Good luck.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

I'm about to go eat a cucumber and drink some water.

No, no bloodwork. I'm honestly not sure what homebirth midwives do... I have never been in a legal state before so in my other states they didn't do labs anyway. I don't have a doctor to go to outside of her. She is going to recheck me at my next appt on Saturday. I am praying it's down.

I just did some searching on pre-e in these forums and now I am all freaked out that I am going to die over night or something.

lizabird... I wish dh could help but he just went into work and will be gone for 9hrs. By then the kids will be in bed. lol Tomorrow I can rest without kids. But then Mon-Fri I am back on my own once he leaves at 1pm for work. Bad thing about second shift... I have to do dinner and bedtime and of course we all know thats like the worst time of the day! lol

Thanks
Old 09-23-2006, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Well, it's not yummy, but drink some cream of tartar with lemon juice. You can also eat lots of garlic. Drinks tons and tons of water, stay off your feet as much as possible, eat cucumbers.

How much cream of tartar to lemon juice???

Thanks
Old 09-23-2006, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

nvm, I just took some.

Um yeah, nasty stuff lol

I took 2t in whatever looked right of lemon juice and water lol
Old 09-23-2006, 07:45 PM

2tsp cream of tartar mixed with juice of half a lemon (about 1.5 tablespoons of Real Lemon) and 1/2 cup of water.
HOWEVER... the cream of tartar will not dissolve in water and what you'll end up doing is taking back the water/lemon juice and the cream of tartar will stay in the bottom. I find it mixes in a lot better with milk (but not soy milk). What I'd do is forego the water and put a bit of milk in it instead and start swirling it and swirling it and swirling it and then just knock it back and IMMEDIATELY flush my mouth/throat with water. It's gross.
Three days on (only once per day), two days off, check pressure and repeat (once?) if necessary.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:59 PM

The CoT suggestion was from me Kathryn reminded me that I'm actually IN this expecting club. D'oh!

I've had suspicions about my BP lately and I finally went and took it a few nights ago and it was 133/89 (high for me personally). I got some really good ideas from various sources and right now I'm drinking a ton of water, lying on my left side, I just finished my third (and final) dose of CoT/LJ and boy am I GLAD OF THAT because that stuff is gross.
I'm also chopping up and taking 1 clove of raw garlic, and increasing my cal/mag supplementation.

I have no swelling, floaties or headaches or any of that... but I do have this sore and numb spot just on the bottom of my rib that's been there for months. Because of the way it feels and how it came accompanied with severe, severe acid reflux my relatives think it's a haitus hernia (all of them except me have one of them), I think it's also related to where my lower rip made a horrific popping noise about a month or two ago, and ever since then has been EXTREMELY sore to touch (and kick!).

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 09-23-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post
The CoT suggestion was from me Kathryn reminded me that I'm actually IN this expecting club. D'oh!

Old 09-23-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
I guess it's just wishful thinking that I can sneak my way 100% into the September club, right?

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 09-23-2006, 08:23 PM

Well Babs,

I think you have been hanging out with the September crew more recently. It's all the new baby news I guess. Or do you just love them more than us?:

Just kidding. The cream of Tartar and lemon juice sound repulsive, but if it works I think I might try it. Can you tell me where you found it Babs? Kathryn?

Old 09-23-2006, 08:28 PM

I actually found out about it from the UC forum. Someone did that and epsom soaks 3x a day and successfully lowered her BP by something like 15 points or more.

Since then, I've heard about it a dozen more times - apparently it's a well known cure, I just had never heard of it before!!

Old 09-24-2006, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

I actually found it online during a search too when trying to find out the ratios. It was on some blood pressure site lol

I found like Kathryn said that I didn't get it all while drinking... BUT... after i gulped it down I then added some more water to the cup and swirled it around then finished it off. Honestly it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. But it was still nasty.

I need to get some epsom salts tomorrow. I have been needing to get them for my autistic son to bathe in as well. So will both get use out of them.

I am just still freaked though a bit though. Just after reading about how sudden pre-e can hit you and you could be like dead just like that. i never worry about pregnancy stuff, so it's really annoying me that I am so concerned now. I am afraid that I am going to feel like crap just cause I am "looking for it" kwim? Then tehre is wondering what on earth my husband and kids would do if I had to go in for a hosp stay. He works 2nd shift and we have noone to watch the kids. Ugh. so yeah... this stuff needs to work lol.

Been side lying off and on. I actually got a nap for 2hrs while my son was sleeping. Thank God the girls are good to just leave out here watching a movie. lol
Old 09-24-2006, 02:20 AM

Kathryn C&P'd what I'd said (with permission) because I forgot I was in the October expecting club and for some reason didn't come and say it myself! Heh.

DON'T scare yourself about pre-e. I know that's hard... but really. All the mainstream sites you're going to find are going to be loaded with scare tactics, just like with things like GBS+ or any other pregnancy issue. You aren't going to die! You are aware of the issue, treating it, paying attention to it, in tune with it, you aren't neglecting your care in any way.
Try sites like unhinderedliving.com and look for BP in their prenatal care section, Or post on the unassisted birth forum, it'll be much more reassuring!

Old 09-24-2006, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Kathryn C&P'd what I'd said (with permission) because I forgot I was in the October expecting club and for some reason didn't come and say it myself! Heh.

DON'T scare yourself about pre-e. I know that's hard... but really. All the mainstream sites you're going to find are going to be loaded with scare tactics, just like with things like GBS+ or any other pregnancy issue. You aren't going to die! You are aware of the issue, treating it, paying attention to it, in tune with it, you aren't neglecting your care in any way.
Try sites like unhinderedliving.com and look for BP in their prenatal care section, Or post on the unassisted birth forum, it'll be much more reassuring!

Actually it was reading on THIS board that freaked me out It was that longggggg thread about preeclampsia and how it is called the Silent Killer.

I'm not too freaked out right now.

I just found out that my numbers 2wks ago were 120/80 and then today 130/84 So it wasn't even over 90 like I thought. Now... the time before that though it was 90 for the top number. But I am wondering why it wasn't mentioned as a concern last visit then.

Ah well. I am just drinking a lot and watching out for other symptoms.

I decided I will do the tartar stuff for 3dys. Then go to midwifes house to get bp checked. If it rises again I will prob go get a blood panel done. But I am hoping it won't even rise again anyway.

Thank you
Old 09-24-2006, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithhopelove View Post
Actually it was reading on THIS board that freaked me out It was that longggggg thread about preeclampsia and how it is called the Silent Killer.
I actually find the DDC's and birth and beyond to be the most mainstream aspects of this site. : Though certainly head and shoulders above DDC's on other internet venues we shall not name.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:13 AM

Just checking in. I am up with that devil heartburn right now, so eating and DRINKING WATER as usual. I had to promise I would call the doc if I had a headache at any point this weekend, and earlier today I had a mild, almost sinus like pressure that got worse when sitting up. So I call, and one of the REALLY mainstream over cautious ones gets back to me. He said if my symptoms were truly progressing, truly turning into pre-e, then I would have the WORST headache I had ever felt and would begin to see spots or have double vision. It would NOT be subtle. Then he said to put my feet up and have a nice weekend.
We are getting near the end and it is really easy to find SOMETHING wrong with ourselves, but it was nice to know that this at least, isn't likely to come creeping up on me silently like some of the sites indicate. I hope that makes you feel better.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I actually find the DDC's and birth and beyond to be the most mainstream aspects of this site. : Though certainly head and shoulders above DDC's on other internet venues we shall not name.
lol

well my midwife sorta calmed me down in an email last night. at least I have an excuse to relax now Well actually that isn't good cuase I have a friend coming over tomorrow to spend the day cooking up postpartum freezer meals with me. And I really need to set aside a day to sew sew sew and sew. Jonas still needs hats and some baby cocoon things. lol Not sure if I should be standing up all day cooking, had debated cancelling. NOt sure what to do.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajody View Post
Just checking in. I am up with that devil heartburn right now, so eating and DRINKING WATER as usual. I had to promise I would call the doc if I had a headache at any point this weekend, and earlier today I had a mild, almost sinus like pressure that got worse when sitting up. So I call, and one of the REALLY mainstream over cautious ones gets back to me. He said if my symptoms were truly progressing, truly turning into pre-e, then I would have the WORST headache I had ever felt and would begin to see spots or have double vision. It would NOT be subtle. Then he said to put my feet up and have a nice weekend.
We are getting near the end and it is really easy to find SOMETHING wrong with ourselves, but it was nice to know that this at least, isn't likely to come creeping up on me silently like some of the sites indicate. I hope that makes you feel better.
Do you have a bp cuff at home? One of the things that I read that freaked me out was reading that you didn't want it to get THAT bad and that if you were having symptoms at all you should check your bp. I even learned that in some cases you don't even get symptoms at all. My midwife helped reassure me that it was more rare though for it to just happen suddenly like that. But I would feel better being able to check my bp.

I hope your heartburn went away!!! Thankfully last night I was spared. Other nights I feel like I just have a hose in my throat pushing the acid out. Blech.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:05 PM

My mom can check my BP. Very helpful I think. The heartburn finally went away after eating a gajillion almonds and having MORE WATER! I got back to sleep a little after 5am and my DD was up at 730am. Needless to say I am a little cranky today. Especially since I have to do a 24 hour urine collection today. What a pain! I have to lug all the pee back to the hospital tomorrow for a protein dip. Yuck!

User Tag List