#31 of 35 Old 10-24-2006, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alexander Seamus
October 22, 2006
12:52 am
9 lbs 13 oz and 21 inches long

Labor was only 3 hours, with maybe 30 minutes of pushing. Very intense, very fast, but a wonderful experience at a freestanding birth center. We had planned a water birth. However, things moved so quickly, there wasn't time to fill the tub!
#32 of 35 Old 10-28-2006, 09:14 AM

Theodore Hunter Smith was born on the 23rd at 8:05, just barely missing Scorpio by an hour and 21 minutes. He's a big boy, 8 lb 9 oz and 21.5 inches long (I'm 5'1" so that's big for me). He was born after only a few hours of labor!

Labor started for me about 4am on Monday, but the contractions were easy and I didn't really know if it was the real thing or more prodromal labor. Tried to get some more sleep. By 6am the contractions were STRONG. I tried to do my hypnosis but my iPod had died and it was so cold that morning I was having trouble getting comfortable. I got in the tub but it didn't help. Little did I know I was almost in transition . . . a few minutes later I realized it was time to head to the hospital birth center, but we had to wait for the babysitter to arrive for our toddler first.

By the time we left I was in PAIN. I started to freak out because I didn't realize I only had an hou and a half of labor ahead of me! I thought labor was just starting and I kept thinking, I can't do this!!!! When I got to triage I was 5 cm dilated, which to me confirmed my fears of a long morning ahead (silly me.) I begged for an epidural but agreed to get in the tub first. I did get a shot of Nubain and I think it helped me relax some, I was so wound up at that point.

By the time we got to the room I felt the need to poop. On the toilet I got to 8 cm. Forget the tub, I was laboring fast! Onto the bed, I got into the child's pose-- ahh, relief! Now I was fully dilated and ready to go. The midwife came rushing in as I started pushing. I pushed some in child's pose, hanging on to the headboard and biting my pillow, but the midwife wanted me to direct more of my energy into pushing, so I got up into a squatting position-- felt so right-- and Teddy was born very quickly. (He was born just an hour and fifteen minutes after we got to the birth center!) Oh the burning though! Ouch! But what an amazing feeling! I was so proud of myself.

I know the reason I experienced so much pain during transition was due to my extreme fear and anxiety based on my last birth, which was a 31 hour back labor. Now that I know that my body CAN birth quickly and efficiently, I think next time I will be better able to get out of my own way and birth more calmly and comfortably. All in all this was a very healing experience for me.

The delivery was great, and the midwives were great, but the hospital stay after was not a positive experience overall. Nurses waking me up every two hours, multiple medical professionals bothering me about all of the procedures I was declining ("so you don't care if your baby is permanently brain-damaged because he doesn't get this shot? Well I guess it's your choice . . .") the food wasn't what I'm used to (I eat all organic at home) and I hate the overall attitude that the baby belongs to the hospital and if you prove yourself a good-enough parent than they will "let" you take "their" baby home with you. We left the second day (as soon as we could).

First days photos

We are all in love with our new sweetheart!!!!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#33 of 35 Old 11-07-2006, 04:41 AM

Charles Frederick
October 17th, 2006
09:15

Weight: 7 pounds 14.1 ounces
Length: 19 3/4 inches

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/tehDeathKitten

#34 of 35 Old 11-07-2006, 03:58 PM

Evelyne Dorothy
100% natural birth
Oct. 30 at 9am
8lbs 11oz.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#35 of 35 Old 01-15-2007, 05:08 PM

:
ok so I'm super late at posting but Owen was born Oct 18 06 at 4:04am weighing a healthy 9lbs, 10.5oz
I've been trying to catch up on my reading here lately and realized I never did introduce us!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page