Birthday cakes: - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-03-2006, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone planning on making a birthday cake either before and freezing it, during labor or following?

If i do not make one during early labor the DH and Kai will make one after.

Anyone have a good yellow cake recipe? Im 9 months to lazy to look and google for one

Michele
#2 of 14 Old 10-03-2006, 03:20 AM

My son (6 yo - along with my SIL) will be making a red velvet cake to celebrate while I'm in labor. That was his request of what to be able to do, besides help catch.

Tara; wife to Shafer ; mom to Gavin (9) , Miriam (3) , and Sprocket (spring 2010)
#3 of 14 Old 10-03-2006, 08:50 AM

What a great idea! I think I might make one, too. Anything to make this birth experience a memorable one. This will very likely be our last baby and I think a cake would be a perfect way to celebrate his birthday
#4 of 14 Old 10-03-2006, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

If i can order it in time we will also be giving Kai a velety like crown and cape from Hearthsong from our little newbie. Kai will be giving him some wooden rattles we have ordered.

As for the birthday cake we also are planning on including a wooden birthday ring which i just purchased a wooden house to put on it.

Michele
#5 of 14 Old 10-03-2006, 10:37 AM

DD and I are planning to make one... everything is set to go- except ours is chocolate, so can't help you with the yellow cake part.

Chocolate wheat, gluten, dairy, nut free! And the BEST cake ever!!!! Even "normal" people rave about it!

Jaya- unschooling mama to Ariah Rayheartbeat.gif1/02   Rukundo Pacifiquebuddamomimg1.png11/08  

missing Trace Oak candle.gif 10/25/06

#6 of 14 Old 10-03-2006, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

OK jaya.... PM that RECIPE

Michele
#7 of 14 Old 10-03-2006, 05:18 PM

Mmmmm...chocolate torte for the birthday cake. Pumpkin dip and gingersnaps (making this weekend) for the nurses. May do some pumpkin cheesecake just for giggles. And also this weekend I'm making an angel food cake to freeze cuz I've got the egg whites from some other baking.
#8 of 14 Old 10-03-2006, 05:40 PM

I'm celebrating today with a key lime pie (my favorite). Went out today to get some food from the store and couldn't resist. We didn't have anything special for ds#1, just tons of Thanksgiving leftovers (he was born on Thanksgiving day). Happy baking!

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#9 of 14 Old 10-03-2006, 07:09 PM

I really want to make a carrot cake this time during labor with DD -- how ambitious is that?! It is a really good recipe that we have for all of our birthdays, but I'm not sure if I'll have the energy. It's a bit labor intensive. If DH gets here on time he could help of course. I know I should think of something more simple but alas I'm coming up short. Oh, maybe pumpkin. If I can find a good recipe for a fairly yummy but mostly kind of healthy pumpkin cake. I got some canned organic pumpkin from Trader Joe's the other day that I'd like to use.

I love all the other ideas as well! The red velvet cake sounds REALLY good right now!

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
#10 of 14 Old 10-06-2006, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

We decided since we will be celebrating another wonderful Libra baby DH and Kai will be baking a Pumpkin Custard Pie. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As of right now IM making pumpkin bars and if they are really good then I plan on attempting to make them while in labor.

Michele
#11 of 14 Old 10-06-2006, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariahsmum View Post
Chocolate wheat, gluten, dairy, nut free! And the BEST cake ever!!!! Even "normal" people rave about it!
Can I please have this recipe for my food allergic daughter who is about to celebrate her third birthday? Thanks!

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

#12 of 14 Old 10-06-2006, 08:44 AM

chocolate cake recipe will be posted to this thread after I go get acupuncture :-)

stay tuned... it is soooo darned good!

Jaya- unschooling mama to Ariah Rayheartbeat.gif1/02   Rukundo Pacifiquebuddamomimg1.png11/08  

#13 of 14 Old 10-06-2006, 01:46 PM

Here it is...

1-3/4 cup GF flour (use GF Pantry's Beth's all-purpose flour mix- trust me on this! don't make your own this time!))
1/2 teaspoon zanthum gum
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup oil
2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup boiling water (optional: use black coffee instead for stronger flavor)
Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and mix. Beat eggs well, add milk and oil. Mix together both dry and wet ingredients. The batter will be thin. Pour into greased and floured 13" x 9" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. (But I bake for substantially less I think- just keep a good eye on it!)

Frosting: 2 cups chocolate chips. 1 cup coconut milk. Warm coconut milk, then let chips dissolve in it. Cool the mixture, then frost. If it looks too hard after cooling, let warm again a bit, or add more milk.

Yummy yummy! course I serve this with coconut ice cream -just coconut milk and honey in an ice cream freezer. Dairy free!

#14 of 14 Old 10-06-2006, 01:54 PM

Thank you so much!! This will be perfect because we have just been given the go ahead to trial eggs and the first place to do that is baked in something!

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page