Similac just sent me "free gifts" anyone else recieving unwanted "gifts" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-03-2006, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ain't they great? I'm estimating they've just uselessly invested around forty dollars in me.... such a waste.

I thought there were laws against sending people formula? So, 30$ worth of coupons plus whatever the value of the can plus shipping.... They do invest a lot .... Anyone know any moms that actually can't physically bf, don't have access to donated bm, weaned but still on formula? I'm tossing out the can but I'll mail anyone the coupons. (no I do not feel bad about giving away the coupons, if they are already ff'ing I have nothing to do with it)

They only place I gave my address to was Motherhood Maternity, so I think they are the ones who gave out my due date and address. Be warned!
#2 of 20 Old 10-03-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
They only place I gave my address to was Motherhood Maternity, so I think they are the ones who gave out my due date and address. Be warned!

: I Bet you that is what it is from. I went there 2 weeks ago and the lady asked if i wanted to sign up for sweepstakes and coupons and i declined . She asked why and i said I dislike parenting magazine , i cloth diaper , BF , dont vax , circ..

SOOOO Then i went there again the other evening and another girl starting plugging in my phone # ( which i dont know why i gave it ). I stopped her and said I DONT want any of the offers. DONT SIGN ME UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOOO I better not get anything like that. When i was pregnant with Kai i fell for some of those free sign up and got tired of the UPS man showing up with things i did not want.

I WOULD call and complain because it will be non stop for the first year!!! coupons for formula, reminders to vax, cleaning a circ penis, the list goes on.......

Michele
#3 of 20 Old 10-03-2006, 06:46 PM

I think my insurance company sold my info last pregnancy. I saw a midwife and birthed at an independent birth center and I KNOW she didn't sell my info because I was very clear about. She did participate with my insurance though....

I donated my stuff to the crisis pregnancy center and they were very grateful to have it.

I'm off the radar screen this time with a homebirth midwife I"m paying out of pocket for.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#4 of 20 Old 10-03-2006, 06:47 PM

Yeah I got those singles samples-- eeewww!

They just went right in the trash.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#5 of 20 Old 10-03-2006, 06:59 PM

LoL. I think I'm the only one here that takes great pleasure and amusement in receiving things from formula companies. I was sent a GREAT insulated bag from Similac...and it had two cans of formula (2 different kinds) and some coupons. I requested the stuff.

When I got the bag, I took a stitch ripper and tore out the embroidered "Simliac Advanced" stitching, and now I have a very trendy cream colored insulated bag to carry my son's snacks and drinks in!

Oh, and I returned the cans of Similac (and the nestle one's i got) to wal mart and told them they were a gift, but that I didn't need them. I got diapers for the exchange.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#6 of 20 Old 10-03-2006, 07:12 PM

I got tons of that - and coupons with DS. I'm sure I'll get them again. The cans sat in a box until after they expired and I threw them away. What can we do with them? I've heard that the companies will send you recipes to make pancakes with the unused forumla (yuck!) and that you can feed it to animals like cats and dogs. That's probably all its good for. Can you donate it.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#7 of 20 Old 10-03-2006, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
Oh, and I returned the cans of Similac (and the nestle one's i got) to wal mart and told them they were a gift, but that I didn't need them. I got diapers for the exchange.

They were a gift, after all....

Brilliant.

Wish I'd have thought of that....

I just used mine to weight down the trash can so it didn't tip over in the windstorm. Cussing the whole way to the garbage because my shoes won't fit on the swollen balloons that used to be my feet.
#8 of 20 Old 10-03-2006, 10:05 PM

I am not receiving any of these "gifts" this time, but may I recommend sending the cans of formula onto a food pantry or crisis pregnancy center (a pp mentioned that as well). I certainly didn't want it, but I know there are needy moms out there that do. Also, I just couldn't stand to waste something that is so %$#@ expensive! Be warned, first time mamas the gifts come fast and furious in the weeks after birth. Much more so than now. I was even getting 6 packs of the stuff! Oh, as for the formula checks, freedcycle 'em. Everytime some are offered on my area site they get snatched up right away.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#9 of 20 Old 10-03-2006, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Well, I already got a PM from a mom with a very good reason to ff and I'll send her those and any other "gifts" in the future. Someone should get something out of their massive campaigning.

Otherwise I love the idea of exchanging for something else.
#10 of 20 Old 10-04-2006, 11:37 AM

I just donate them to teh food shelf or mark teh boxes REFUSED! and send tehm back to the post office. Sorry they wasted theri money on me but I'm tired of junk in my mailbox!
#11 of 20 Old 10-04-2006, 11:46 AM

I have no idea how they got my info, but i've gotten huggies diapers, similac formula, and a ridiculous amount of coupons. They DO spend a lot of money with this mailing stuff campaign...
#12 of 20 Old 10-04-2006, 04:22 PM

I freecycled the formula I was sent. I knew someone would invariably use it, and I hated to have it go to waste.

I was rather confused when I was walking through a consignment shop today to see one of the freebie similac bags for SALE in the store...doesn't that just seem wrong to you?!?!

My OB's office gave me the freebie bag at my appointment last week, labelled as "breastfeeding supplementation kit." I think there's a teeny can of powdered formula in it, but I liked it for the ice packs (for my bottles of water, hahaah!) that came inside. The bag itself is rather ugly, so I'm sure I won't be using it, but we kept the bag because DH thinks it more masculine than the bags I choose to carry.
#13 of 20 Old 10-04-2006, 06:54 PM

[
They only place I gave my address to was Motherhood Maternity, so I think they are the ones who gave out my due date and address. Be warned![/QUOTE]

this must be it! My mil has been getting baby items and we havne't been able to figure out why! there's no other reason my mil would be getting items like that. she has bought me a few things there...
#14 of 20 Old 10-04-2006, 07:32 PM

I got some kind of welcome packet from Carnation with a coupon for free formula and a solicitation from Similac to sign up. Huggies sent me an infant diaper. I can't imagine how they got my information since I never gave out my personal info to anyone. They are tricky, and I'm wondering if they get this info from online spyware or something? I really don't want to deal with cases of formula left on my front porch, which happened in previous pregnancies. I ended up donating it to a food pantry but it was totally unwanted and I had the hassle of lugging it to a food donation box.
#15 of 20 Old 10-05-2006, 08:50 AM

also if you want you can SELL the formula checks and formula on ebay. I saw this done and was amazed that people would BUY coupons:

Denise, Mama to DS1 (7) and DD1 (5) and new baby due June 2012!

#16 of 20 Old 10-05-2006, 01:07 PM

According to my doula, it's the hospital that gives the formula companies your address. I haven't given any info to Motherhood Maternity this pregnancy (hate that place!) and I just got my samples today so it isn't from them. The hospital asked me if I wanted formula samples, and I said no, so I am sure when we go home we'll just get the bag without the formula.

Last time I just donated the whole box as I received it (coupons and all) to the local women's shelter. So I guess I'll be adding that stop to my list of errands to run when I'm in town tomorrow.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#17 of 20 Old 10-05-2006, 02:01 PM

I hate Motherhood, too. I bought two pairs of pantyhose earlier in my pregnancy and was asked for information that only stopped short of my blood type and previous sexual partners. Geesh. Who do they think they are? I fired off a nasty email to the company and swore I would not shop with them, that requesting this information was rude and extremely time consuming. I guess they got the point because, while I did not get a response from them, I also have gotten very little in the mail. If I do get stuff after Little Jeter gets here, I'll just let DH take it with him to work...he teaches drama three times a week at a special public school for teenagers who are pregnant or parents. It's a way cool school, but the kids there don't necessarily get anything more than the mainstream information...at least they are still in school!
#18 of 20 Old 10-05-2006, 06:45 PM

grrrr yes I have been getting them. DP likes to throw them in my face cuz he knows I hate it!! I don't like throwing things away. I actually tried to write REturn to sender on it but the mail wouldn't take it back!! :rotfl

So I will try to return it, maybe. Or else find some needy mums. Maybe I can trade on TP here, I've got other stuff too.

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#19 of 20 Old 10-05-2006, 06:52 PM

I've been giving mine away on Freecycle (gotten 4 cans plus a bunch of coupons). I figure that someone probably really does need it and can't afford it . . .
#20 of 20 Old 10-05-2006, 09:35 PM

I keep them as food storge. Never can tell when some high stress event could occur and dry my milk... so I keep it just in case until babe is 9 months old (or so) and I would feel all right giving babe table food anyway.

IntactaLactavist, HomeBirthin' Baby Wearin' Co-sleepin' Homeschoolin', City girl gone Country Livin' SAH(HSing)M

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page