Anyone else have OVERLY anxious family? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-04-2006, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Both of this babe's grandmothers (but especially my mom) are a little nutty about waiting for his arrival. They both live nearby. They are afraid to go anywhere in case I might go into labor (and I mean go somewhere for the day). Neither of them are invited to the hospital so it's not like there is anything for them to do when I go into labor other than wait and drive themselves even more crazy (for who knows how long -- maybe 24 hours). My mother keeps inventing reasons why she has to see me EVERY DAY. She keeps needing to deliver things. As if that's somehow going to keep her informed as to when I go into labor. It's driving me nuts. I've never done this before and I am so much more chilled out about things than they are and they've each done this twice! Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-04-2006, 02:00 AM

our families are borderline anxious, more or less because ill be getting my tubes tied this time. My kids are asking me everyday "is it time yet?" and everyone we know is pretty much asking us ALL the time the same thing. Im just tired of everytime i winc or he kicks me hard people asking me if im in labor. I had really bad gas the other night (TMI lol) and this lady at a meeting i was in was like "ARE YOU IN LABOR???" all loud and i wanted to die because i was trying to go to the bathroom unnoticed. But i too am tired of people popping up at my house just to "say hi" when a month ago i was lucky to get a phone call....
#3 of 8 Old 10-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Joi

Mine are a little nutty too. I just changed my voicemail message to say that we have not had the baby yet and if we do will will call you. That means I don't answer my phone as much but hey...... that is just a bonus
#4 of 8 Old 10-04-2006, 03:54 PM

Blame media for some of it. My DH wasn't a nut about it but he did worry a little whenever we went out. I couldn't figure it out for a while then I remembered that every movie you see, the pregnant woman is doing whatever and suddenly her waters break and they all go screaming to the hospital, where she has the baby 5 minutes later.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#5 of 8 Old 10-04-2006, 09:26 PM

Since I'm carrying a baby girl, it occurs to me that I might be nutty when she is expecting a baby one day. Cliche, I know - but how amazing to see your baby expecting a baby My mom is in TX. She is just as nervous about this one as the last one (asks if I'm in labor whenever I call - and look at my due date!!) You are probably right to keep it down to just DH and yourself when you are in labor. I have friends who went through Bradley training with their husbands only to have well-intentioned mothers and mother-in-laws freaking out during the labor and begging them to take drugs. Moms don't do so well with watching their girls in discomfort. DH went through the training with me, so he was amazing during the labor. If it weren't for him, I would have caved. I'm sure you two will do a good job. Just wait until those mommies are crowding the newborn! hehehe

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#6 of 8 Old 10-04-2006, 09:46 PM

bertrandgirls...we have the same due date I've got no one calling me asking if I'm in labor. I guess everyone around here is patient and know we will let them know when things start up. Maybe when the due date is closer the calls will pour in. But I'm totally fine with it always being DH on the other line
#7 of 8 Old 10-04-2006, 10:19 PM

yes! my mom is out of control! this is our first, and i know for a fact that she is more freaked out about this than i am. but, as a PP pointed out, i'm her baby having a baby; so, it makes her a little anxious.
#8 of 8 Old 10-05-2006, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

That's a good point -- I do need to remember, I am my mom's baby having a baby (and this is her first grandchild). So, of course she is extremely excited. It's certainly better than not being excited!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page