Induction because of low fluid? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-05-2006, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I usually see a midwife but the o/b she is under called me last night and I have to go in today to check my fluid and possibly be induced if my fluid is low? How do I deal with that...can I refuse or let them induce?

Denise, Mama to DS1 (7) and DD1 (5) and new baby due June 2012!

#2 of 10 Old 10-05-2006, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhicitta3 View Post
I usually see a midwife but the o/b she is under called me last night and I have to go in today to check my fluid and possibly be induced if my fluid is low? How do I deal with that...can I refuse or let them induce?
I suppose you could refuse, but why would you want to if your fluid is very low? Low fluid levels can lead to cord compression, infecton, and a whole host of interventions during the birth. I would ask how low the fluid is, what the likely outcome of an induction would be, and what your best course of action to avoid further intervention would be. It would also be a good idea to find out if you are leaking fluid and how far you are dilated. Good luck mama! Your EDD is coming up fast, hopefully you won't need any help along the way. Here's to an uneventful office visit!

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#3 of 10 Old 10-05-2006, 09:15 AM

Double Post. Sorry.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#4 of 10 Old 10-05-2006, 02:47 PM

Not in your ddc but wanted to post that I know of a momma who, at the end of her pg with her twins, had low fluid & was facing the "what if's" of the list of complications that can come along with that. She swears that if you spend a lot of time in the tub & drink tons of water your fluid levels will increase. She had them check the levels 48 hours later & they did, in fact, increase in her case.

It's something to consider & research. Hopefully it won't be necessary, though. Good luck!

Shannon
#5 of 10 Old 10-05-2006, 03:12 PM

Low fluid is difficult to discren from ultrasound. also, your fluid is consantly replenished. Personally, I would decline an ultrasound, and certainly an induction. Drink LOTS of water, 100oz or so, and rest.
#6 of 10 Old 10-06-2006, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

I had the ultrasound and a NST. Fluids were good and so were babe's movements so they sent me home. She is measureing small though, about 2 weeks behind....go back on friday 13th (day b4 my due date!)

#7 of 10 Old 10-06-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhicitta3 View Post
I had the ultrasound and a NST. Fluids were good and so were babe's movements so they sent me home. She is measureing small though, about 2 weeks behind....go back on friday 13th (day b4 my due date!)

I have been about 2wks behind my date as well for like the last 2mos maybe. But growth has been consistant. We are due the same day, wanna race??? jk

I'm glad your test came out good
#8 of 10 Old 10-06-2006, 05:50 PM

I have heard of fluid levels going back up. I would certainly try to avoid induction if possible (if they do go down by your next appt. after all).
#9 of 10 Old 10-06-2006, 05:53 PM

Not in DDC, but I was dx with low fluid level at 37w3d. My OB said that it was possible the fluid appeared low due to the umbilical cord being all coiled up. She told me to drink lots of water and was going to do a repeat US the following week, but dd was born the next day easily and healthy.
#10 of 10 Old 10-07-2006, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

aww thanks faithhopelove!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page