small amount of leakage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-05-2006, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a few hours ago, i seemed to have a small amount of what could have been amniotic fluid leak. it wasn't a lot, and i haven't had any more since then. i'm starting to wonder if i should be concerned about this and maybe call the midwife. not sure if it means anything, but the baby has been pretty active tonight, also.

any thoughts? i'm sitting on pins and needles these days and can't tell if i'm overreacting or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-05-2006, 11:29 PM

I wouldn't worry about it unless you have more. From what I know, the bag of waters can seal itself up again when there's a small leak. If you're not showing any signs of infection and you don't have another instance of potential leakage, maybe sleep on it tonight and see how things go in the morning?

I think that's what I would do, but that's just me. The problem with rupture(or even suspected rupture) of the membranes is that it starts the clock for many caregivers. They start worrying about infection and the like when there may be very little reason to. If waiting until morning would buy you more time, I would opt for that. Just from experience, anyway

Best of luck!
#3 of 7 Old 10-06-2006, 12:07 AM

I don't mean to contradict PP, but it can't hurt to tell your midwife. In Dr. Robert Bradley's book (which I just had to reread), he lists the reasons for getting medical care at signs of a rupture in the amniotic sac as: 1) meaning labor could be imminent, 2) risk of cord emerging into canal before fetus (rare, but they have to check and rule this out once there is a rupture so that the fetus is safe), 3) increased chance of infection. It is your call. PP is right about what she said. I've heard of small leaks ceasing because the water sac heals, but you are close to your due date - so it could mean more. In any case, you should avoid anything that could increase chance of infection (vaginal exam - unless your midwife/doctor chooses this, sex, anything that could push bacteria up the birth canal). Hope that helps. Good luck!

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#4 of 7 Old 10-06-2006, 01:56 AM

I just want to say that you could be worrying for nothing. I have been ..ahem... very wet down there for weeks often wondering if it was amniotic fluid. It hasn't been. Just regular discharge. Sending some no worry vibes your way!
#5 of 7 Old 10-06-2006, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

thanks y'all. i did end up sleeping on it, and have not had any more leakage. the one thing i was worried about was an increased chance of infection. however, like you mentioned deleria, i would "start the clock" with my group of midwives, and i'm just not sure that that needs to happen right now.

worry, worry, worry. i supposed i should get used to worrying, right?
#6 of 7 Old 10-06-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsgirl View Post
I don't mean to contradict PP, but it can't hurt to tell your midwife. In Dr. Robert Bradley's book (which I just had to reread), he lists the reasons for getting medical care at signs of a rupture in the amniotic sac as: 1) meaning labor could be imminent, 2) risk of cord emerging into canal before fetus (rare, but they have to check and rule this out once there is a rupture so that the fetus is safe), 3) increased chance of infection.
I agree with you 100% with the reasons for calling your caregiver if you know or strongly suspect your bag of waters is no longer intact. No need to worry about contradicting me - those are all valid reasons!

I just want to relate my story from my second pregnancy because I feel it's a good case of 'clock watching'. When my water broke, it gushed, several times over, so there was really no guesswork in it. I made my way to the hospital within a couple of hours and was monitored for signs of infection and the like. I felt safer there because I was sure that they could pick up any signs of infection I might miss.

However, by 12 hours my labour still wasn't progressing (I only managed to get from 1-4cm). They wanted to start antibiotics because it's their 'protocol' after that length of time, even without signs of infection. I fought it at first, then agreed. Once I agreed, they wanted to start some Pitocin to get my contractions heavier. I refused for a good while, but eventually caved due to feekubg frustrated at my slow-to-progress labour and the constant nagging from the staff. It was easier to back down because I already had the IV in me for the antibiotic. The Pit wore me down because it was painful and there was very regular monitoring that took me out of my 'zone' while I was trying to work on my contractions.

After 27 hours, I ended up with a cesarean for 'failure to progress'. While it turns out my son's cord was wrapped snuggly around his body and wouldn't let him turn or decend and thus was, in my opinion, a very justified cesarean, if that hadn't have been the case - had it just been a very slow labour that would have eventually produced a baby through the birth canal - I would have had a very hard time dealing with how 'the clock' was started because of my waters breaking. Does that make sense? In retrospect, I would have liked to hang out at home a little while longer and possibly fudge when my water broke to begin with. There are risks to that and it should be weighed heavily, but there were also risks to the interventions done in the hospital.

To the OP: I think it's wise to check in if you strongly suspect it to be amniotic fluid. But by the sounds of it, it may have just been a lot of vaginal discharge (mine is very watery right now) or possibly urine. I'm glad you managed to get some sleep last night, regardless. I hope you get some more definitive answers today
#7 of 7 Old 10-06-2006, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

well, i've ended up deciding to go get checked out. i really trust my midwives, and at this point i'm having a "better safe than sorry" attitude. i tested positive for GBS, and i'm so anxious about getting the antibiotics, etc. (a gal in my bradley class was also GBS +, got the antibiotics in plenty of time and her baby still caught an infection. so i'm slightly paranoid about it right now.)

thanks for listening to an anxious mama-to-be!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page