Gifts for siblings? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-06-2006, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been wanting to make sure the transition of adding a baby to our family is a smooth one for my 2yr DD. So trying to include her (to a point) like when painting baby's room had her paint a little bit too. I hope to have a "gift basket" for my DD when baby comes home .... Any good ideas for gifts for my DD???

We will delivery at the hospital and I scheduled a private tour to take her there with me to "see the rooms" since I don't want her attending but I don't want her to feel left out and lack of attention when baby comes home.

And any gift ideas for DD to give to the baby?

4 weeks to go!
#2 of 13 Old 10-06-2006, 01:50 PM

I gave my first daughter a doll when I was expecting her sister. It is a 21 inch doll so I dressed it in Rhiannon's coming home outfit! For labor day, I found a little suitcase with her favorite character on it and stuffed it full of whatever caught my eye that I thought she'd enjoy. We brought it with us to the hospital for her amusement (although she ended up going home with her grandmother and sleeping through most of my middle of the night labor). Also, I bought two nearly identical stuffed puppies--only their colors were different--one for each girl, as a gift from Caroline to her big sister, and I used the puppy as the comparison object in Caroline's monthly "growth" photos.

This time I got the girls a couple of backpacks and filled them with little dolls, markers, pretty notebooks, little toys, crafts, and, again, whatever caught my eye that I thought they'd enjoy. So they'll have some new exciting stuff on labor day. I made tags to put on the backpacks that say, "On Ian's Birth Day Rhiannon/Caroline get presents!"

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

#3 of 13 Old 10-06-2006, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD has a beautiful Waldolf doll waiting for her after baby is born. I thought she might like her own baby to take care of.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 13 Old 10-06-2006, 08:06 PM

I went to a thrift store and bought a number of little things I know my DD will appreciate. She LOVES to read, so most of the gifts are books, but I also bought some letter blocks, a tiny backpack that she picked out and LOVED playing with it (I put it away during nap and I KNOW it will be wonderful to her when she gets it again). I also got her a couple dress up hats, a flashlight (she's obsessed with them!), and I was going to get a new shirt or something, but couldn't find anything I liked. Anyway... grand total of $15 for LOTS of presents!!

I'm actually planning to reserve most of them for "just in case someone comes with a present for the baby" gifts for my DD. I've read in other places that other mamas wished they'd done something like that for their older child(ren). I plan to give her a few presents the day the baby is born, but I'll just as happily turn the rest of the presents into items she can 'buy' with her money as we begin teaching her about spending and saving!

IntactaLactavist, HomeBirthin' Baby Wearin' Co-sleepin' Homeschoolin', City girl gone Country Livin' SAH(HSing)M

#5 of 13 Old 10-06-2006, 08:33 PM

My 16yo has been great-but I know adding a sibling after being the only one for so long is affecting her in some way & I would like to do something special for her.

I'm not able to attend her soccer games lately (like tomorrow's up in Santa Barbara) 'cause they are so far away & I'm at the overdue stage so the other soccer parents have been very helpful in getting her to her games. Plus a few things that I would normally be focused on that have to do with her, I am distracted.

Anyway, any cool ideas would be appreciated. It would be so easy if I could just get her a 'big sister' t-shirt, but I don't think that will fly :
#6 of 13 Old 10-06-2006, 09:04 PM

Hi Anita,

How about a special piece of jewelry like a bracelet?

Kai will be giving the baby ( Sage) some wooden rattles.

Sage will be giving Kai a special Big Brother velvet crown and cape, a couple books and something else.

I already Christmas shopped already so i can dig in the closet for what ever i happen to want to give at the time

Michele
#7 of 13 Old 10-06-2006, 09:04 PM

Anita, can you plan a special time to spend with her after the baby comes? Maybe make up a gift certificate for her for an evening with Mom - take her to a salon appt or some special pampering you can give to her to help make up for this time you've not been able to spend? I know it won't be a big chunk of time but maybe you can come up with several mother/daughter events that would be special so that she knows how much you still love being with her.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#8 of 13 Old 10-06-2006, 09:19 PM

My 2 yr old is getting a doll sling and playground pieces for her dollhouse (a small additional set). We're also planning a "party" with cupcakes and party hats (her idea). Today she came home from errands (with Nana) with a gift for the new baby. It was very sweet!

Mama to Sophia (2/25/04) , Oliver (10/24/06) , and Norah (3/2/10).
#9 of 13 Old 10-07-2006, 12:21 AM

I just ordered a doll for my son (will be 21 months). Same reasoning someone said above - I thought he'd like his own baby to take care of. He has been wonderful with all the exposure to babies that we have had.

As for the older daughter, I liked the idea of the salon with mom - or maybe something (going to the jewelry idea) with her birthstone and the baby's as well? Just something special to let her know that she's not being replaced and that you really value the relationship that you have with her as already.
#10 of 13 Old 10-07-2006, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermominsd View Post
My 16yo has been great-but I know adding a sibling after being the only one for so long is affecting her in some way & I would like to do something special for her.

I'm not able to attend her soccer games lately (like tomorrow's up in Santa Barbara) 'cause they are so far away & I'm at the overdue stage so the other soccer parents have been very helpful in getting her to her games. Plus a few things that I would normally be focused on that have to do with her, I am distracted.

Anyway, any cool ideas would be appreciated. It would be so easy if I could just get her a 'big sister' t-shirt, but I don't think that will fly :

Anita--My dh got me a beautiful pendant necklace--the pendant is of a mom and child. I think it would make a great gift for a big sister--showing the bond of this 'mini-mommy' and 'her' baby...
#11 of 13 Old 10-07-2006, 02:34 AM

Thanks for the great suggestions.

I actually took her for a pedicure a couple of weeks ago, when I was contracting like crazy thinking the babe would be coming & I wouldn't be able to take her after.

I like a spa/salon thing; DH would watch the babe if we went together...but it will be awhile down the road. The jewelry suggestion would go over well I think. I think she would really appreciate something tangible as well.
#12 of 13 Old 10-07-2006, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_here View Post
I just ordered a doll for my son (will be 21 months). Same reasoning someone said above - I thought he'd like his own baby to take care of. He has been wonderful with all the exposure to babies that we have had.
where did you order a doll from? i have been looking in local stores for a doll for my 23 month old son and cannot find one i like!
#13 of 13 Old 10-07-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2owen1 View Post
where did you order a doll from? i have been looking in local stores for a doll for my 23 month old son and cannot find one i like!
This is a referal from a friend of a friend. In fact, the first suggestion came from littleteapot (from a different site), to my friend Lisa, and then to me. I haven't gotten it yet, but I don't foresee any problems - the store lady has been very helpful. Here's the email from Lisa:

On the advice of (different username, but littleteapot), I looked into Berenguer dolls, and totally love the one I got. They have some expensive ones, but the one I got is from this line:

http://www.jctoys.com/playdolls/lotstocuddle.htm

We got the 15" version of the barnyard animals one with a cow motif (pink and blue with its own little blanket.) I love love love the monkey one from the wildlife collection; it's purple and yellow. But I got it at Toys R Us (unfortunately they seem to not be available via Toys R Us online, but you can google them elsewhere) and picked the cow one based on the facial expression of the baby. The babies look pretty real--I'm creeped out by weird looking babies like Cabbage Patch Kids etc. And they have several different expressions and skin tones to choose from. The 15" one is lightweight, with a soft body and a rubbery molded head and hands. It's the perfect size for Blue to lug around and hug, and it fits nicely into those little doll-sized strollers and highchairs and such. Not bad for $18-20. I highly recommend them.

Here's a link I found to an online dealer--this link shows more models from the Lots to Cuddle line:

http://hometown.aol.com/dollsbysandie/page7.html

If you go to that second link, it will tell you another link (dollsbysandie.com, I believe) - and that's where I ordered. I got him the Lots To Cuddle baby with the giraffe. Some of the dolls from that line, though they are beautiful, are entirely hard-bodied. Might be fine for an older baby, but I'm afraid that it might turn into an unintentional weapon with my son. These dolls have hard hands, feet and head, but a very soft body - I saw one in a store and had to squeeze it =)

I didn't order this one, but someone else suggested it and I saved the link just in case: http://kidsandgrandkids.com/cgi-bin/...y+Correct&cat=

Here's a site for some Waldorf dolls that are beautiful, too... and if you can sew at all, you can get kits to make the dolls for less - http://www.joyswaldorfdolls.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page