another diaper question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-06-2006, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I just got my diapers in the mail today and I wanted to ask the seasoned CD moms a question. I read somewhere that it's good to wash new prefolds a few times before use because that increases their absorbency. Is this true?
#2 of 5 Old 10-06-2006, 02:02 PM

Yes, the absorbency will improve for many many washes because they "quilt up" more and more every time you wash them.

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

#3 of 5 Old 10-06-2006, 05:03 PM

I actually haven't used my new cloth diapers yet (due Oct 26!!) but the awesome baby store where I bought them offers a free class on cloth diapers and they recommend washing in HOT water 3-4 times (with tiny, tiny bit of detergent) before using the first time. You do NOT have to dry in between the washes.

I did this and now the diapers actually look like they would absorb stuff, before they more resembled flat cardboard.

Good luck!

Kate

DD (2006) and DD (2009) and pos.gif
#4 of 5 Old 10-06-2006, 05:06 PM

I had to wash my CPFs a ton of times (I think PP was right - 3 to 4 times in hot water). They bunch up and become more absorbant. You'll want to do that before baby gets here. Each diaper has different washing directions (for instance some, like fuzzibunz, say wash and dry once to get started - after that I hang dry). I hope memory is serving me correctly and that helps

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#5 of 5 Old 10-06-2006, 08:54 PM

Do a search on my name in the diapering forum, I just asked this question over there as I forgot the exact washing instructions from when I had them for dd. I needed to get some new ones as dd was in the infant ones so long they are really frayed.

The key is really hot water. You can turn your hot water heater up a bit for washing them but remember to turn it back down when you are done. You can do 2-3 washes back to back without having to dry between. Then dry them. You can also wash another round of 2-3 times again.

They will get much thicker and shrink in overall size somewhat.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page