Mothering Forum banner

another diaper question

520 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  PuppyFluffer 
#1 ·
So, I just got my diapers in the mail today and I wanted to ask the seasoned CD moms a question. I read somewhere that it's good to wash new prefolds a few times before use because that increases their absorbency. Is this true?

#3 ·
I actually haven't used my new cloth diapers yet (due Oct 26!!) but the awesome baby store where I bought them offers a free class on cloth diapers and they recommend washing in HOT water 3-4 times (with tiny, tiny bit of detergent) before using the first time. You do NOT have to dry in between the washes.

I did this and now the diapers actually look like they would absorb stuff, before they more resembled flat cardboard.

Good luck!

Kate

#4 ·
I had to wash my CPFs a ton of times (I think PP was right - 3 to 4 times in hot water). They bunch up and become more absorbant. You'll want to do that before baby gets here. Each diaper has different washing directions (for instance some, like fuzzibunz, say wash and dry once to get started - after that I hang dry). I hope memory is serving me correctly and that helps

#5 ·
Do a search on my name in the diapering forum, I just asked this question over there as I forgot the exact washing instructions from when I had them for dd. I needed to get some new ones as dd was in the infant ones so long they are really frayed.

The key is really hot water. You can turn your hot water heater up a bit for washing them but remember to turn it back down when you are done. You can do 2-3 washes back to back without having to dry between. Then dry them. You can also wash another round of 2-3 times again.

They will get much thicker and shrink in overall size somewhat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.