Dilation without any show? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-06-2006, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you dilate without having had any (apparent) bloody show or lost mucous plug or anything like that? Just wondering . . .

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 10-06-2006, 06:47 PM

I think yes. I wasn't aware of losing my mucous plug with either of mine. I also did not have any bloody show with #1 when my water broke (before labor began) and did not even after I started to dilate.
#3 of 17 Old 10-06-2006, 06:55 PM

Yes! I was dilated to 8 before I had any bloody show (after they popped my water) but I am not sure about the mucus plug (i don't think i ever saw mine). Good luck!
#4 of 17 Old 10-06-2006, 06:58 PM

Yep. I never saw any show with Malachi. With Hannah it wasn't even really mucousy. More just watery. Which is why I thought my water broke and went to the hospital where 8hrs later I was told it was just my show. Grr, ended up in a c-section too. Anyway... with my UC baby I don't think I noticed anything till I was already dilated several cm. This baby... nothing yet. But I haven't even had many contractions so I may not be dilated at all anyway lol

I've *never* seen an actual plug though. NO mucous pieces or anything.
#5 of 17 Old 10-06-2006, 07:03 PM

How far dialted? I dont' imagine you coudl go to 10 cm without any sort of show/fluid/mucus etc but i guess it's possible. I know that with Ds I was about 2-3 Cm and lost my mucus plug, but with DD i never saw it and dont' remember much show until the induction and i was about 5 cm before i recall any.
#6 of 17 Old 10-06-2006, 09:50 PM

Yes, you can. I did! I never saw the mucus plug and only had a bit of clearish discharge. I arrived at the birth center at 9cm with membranes intact. I was in the tub for about 3 hours and my water didn't break until I began pushing in the tub. It was a distinct "pop" feeling when my water broke in the tub. I ended up getting out to push the baby down but at that point, her head was so engaged that most of the amniotic fluid was locked behind her. There was a big gush when her head/shoulders were born. I never really had any bloody show or mucus at all.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#7 of 17 Old 10-06-2006, 10:26 PM

It's true. I asked about this at my last appointment. My midwife said that she's seen complete births without any blood at any point (until after the fact, of course). I never had a bloody show with my first and don't remember a mucous plug either...

Mama to Sophia (2/25/04) , Oliver (10/24/06) , and Norah (3/2/10).
#8 of 17 Old 10-06-2006, 10:52 PM

Yes. I was dialated to 2cm for 2 weeks with DS and never recall seeing increased discharge or bloody show.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#9 of 17 Old 10-06-2006, 11:23 PM

My MW checked me yesterday I am very soft and 4cm, but have had no bloody show and have not lost my mucus plug
Wierd !!!!
I had major false labour yeterday and still nothing!
#10 of 17 Old 10-07-2006, 01:26 AM

I'm awaiting the arrival of #3, having had about 10-12 days of prelabor ctx so I *hope* there's some kind of dilation going on! but I never saw any kind of bloody show or mucus plug with either of my first two, and haven't noticed anything with this one either.

I did read that the plug may not be colored or bloody, so an increase in discharge can be "it" and it often comes out a bit at a time so is not really noticeable.
#11 of 17 Old 10-07-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyFluffer View Post
Yes, you can. I did! I never saw the mucus plug and only had a bit of clearish discharge. I arrived at the birth center at 9cm with membranes intact. I was in the tub for about 3 hours and my water didn't break until I began pushing in the tub. It was a distinct "pop" feeling when my water broke in the tub. I ended up getting out to push the baby down but at that point, her head was so engaged that most of the amniotic fluid was locked behind her. There was a big gush when her head/shoulders were born. I never really had any bloody show or mucus at all.
WOW! Good ot know.. Learn somethign new everyday! Thanks for the info!
#12 of 17 Old 10-07-2006, 05:06 PM

Butting in from the Sept DDC....I never had any blood/mucous/fluid/etc with either of my boys until they were born.
My water didn't break till they came out, so they were both born in the sack.

I actually started pushing with my pants still on (both times...quick labors, what can I say)!

So yes, totally possible!
#13 of 17 Old 10-07-2006, 06:56 PM

I dilated to 5 with my son w/o losing my plug or having bloody show. And then I only had a tad of bloody show.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#14 of 17 Old 10-07-2006, 09:06 PM

The past few mornings I've wiped from my first morning pee and found a bit of slimy mucus on the tissue. A little of it was globby and sort of looked like apple jelly - color and consistancy. I asked the MW about it and she said it could be the beginnings of the mucus plug but that it's a distinct "plug" just like they call it. It can come out in pieces. She has had several children and only saw her plug with one pregnancy. I think it's common to miss it all together....but doesn't it make you wonder where it goes?

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#15 of 17 Old 10-07-2006, 11:25 PM

I lost my entire plug when my waters broke at 38 weeks with DS2. I don't recall having any plug or show with DS1, although I'm sure it must have come out at some point. However, I was induced with him and it was a very intervention happy birth where my bag of waters was broken for me, etc.
#16 of 17 Old 10-08-2006, 07:33 PM

ahh these answers are such a relief! thx ladies

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi
My Livi bear 10/26/2006
#17 of 17 Old 10-08-2006, 07:36 PM

I dilated to 7 with only prodromal labor, no show, no blood. In fact, there wasn't blood/show at 10 cm~ just a pop and a push, she was out. Now after the fact is another story.:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page