Mothering Forum banner

Water Broke-- no contractions??? UPDATE!!

1K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  BCmamaof6 
#1 ·
My water just broke. Definately broke. I heard a pop along with what felt like a kick and then fluid running down my leg. Then more and more fluid each time I stand up.

Was told by my midwife's office to go directly to the hospital. So off we go!

But, I am not having any contractions. Is this normal????

--jen

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by faithhopelove View Post
Yep normal.
MY contrax started 5min after but many don't start for hours and hours.

I honestly wouldn't go to the hospital yet if you aren't even having contrax. Anyway you can just stay and labor at home?
She has a great point. Until you are close I think you would be much more comfy at home instead of in hospital. Good luck if you already left!!!

#8 ·
Don't go to the hospital!!! They'll just want to give you pitocin and antibiotics. You don't need either of those!

My water had a hindleak a week before I went into labour, resealed, then didn't actually break until just before I started pushing.

#9 ·
Also, be sure it was really your water!

See with me... I *thought* my wtaer had broke. Was my first baby. I went in to the hospital cause ya know... that's what you were supposed to do right? They didn't check me for 4hrs. I was told I had a high break. 4hrs later I was checked again and was told my water never broke at all and that it was just my show. Very watery show, but whatever. Anyway, I wasn't have any contractions to give any thought to. I should have went home. I mean shoot... they send anyone else home who isn't really in labor yet. Well at that point I was already there for 8hrs so I consented to them breaking it (or the rest of the way... who knows now). She was still high up and then never decended well. I ended up with a c-section after 21hrs of agonizing pain. I was hallucinating and stuff cause I was without sleep and food for SO long.

Anyway, I tell you this in hopes that you will just stay home for a bit and let your body start something first. Maybe it didn't break all the way or it will reseal.

#10 ·
It is normal - just make sure that they give you 24 hours before they start trying to induce or anything (I just read that chapter in "A thinking woman's guide to a better birth"). Hospitals put you on a time clock once the water has broken, but you should be safe for at least 24 hours or more (just don't allow them to reach in and check the cervix, as that can increase chance of infection). Statistically, you should go into labor on your own before you get to the 24 hour mark (you can also do nipple stimulation, thumb sucking, foot massages, etc. to get things going since you are so close). How exciting! Best of luck!

#12 ·
Probably way too late, but I ditto the "Don't go to the hospital!" reaction. The fact that the midwife suggested going right away says to me that they're likely going to put you on a clock, which is totally unnecessary. If you're GBS+, then yes, going to the hospital might be a good idea (as long as you keep anything and everything OUT of your vagina, including hands to check your cervix!), but otherwise, I say stay away!

Btw, my water broke at 29 weeks last time. Contractions didn't start until 10 hours later, when I was on my way to the hospital (after verifying that it was indeed amniotic fluid). If I'd been full term, I'd have stayed out of the hospital entirely, of course.

#17 ·
Hi everyone!! Just a quick update!

After posting that my water broke, I ended up having my baby 4.5 short hours later! Can you believe it??? Collin Henry Joseph Kornish was born at 1:53PM on Wednesday, October 18, 2006!

I did stay at home until I was getting regular contractions, which happened quickly (about 15 min after my water broke). And then stayed at home for an additional 40 minutes getting ready. By the time we were driving to the hospital the contractions were HARD and FAST; every 3 minutes. And when I got to the hospital, I was already 8cm dialiated!!

I am going to write a more detailed birth story soon! It was amazing!

--jen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.