How long do sore nipples last? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-23-2006, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another question for you experinced moms. My baby is a champion nurser, latches on correctly. But it hurts pretty bad for a minute or so when he first latches on. And then it's fine after the first minute. Everyone IRL tells me this is normal, but I am just wondering how long this tends to last? I would so rather just be enjoying the breastfeeding instead of it being so painful every time!
#2 of 10 Old 10-23-2006, 12:31 PM

For me the soreness from them latching on the first minute or so lasted for at least a month to 6 weeks!!! I didn't realize before until my DP pointed out that everytime my DC would latch on my toes would curl and then eventually went back to normal again!! Thought it was funny how he noticed! Hang in there mama!! It will get better I promise!!!
#3 of 10 Old 10-23-2006, 12:41 PM

The LLL book "The womanly art of breastfeeding" says that the soreness lasts a few days. I beg to differ. Not to discourage anyone, but for me soreness lasted nearly 3 months. I saw a lactation consultant and went to LLL meetings to get advice on my hold and latch, etc. My baby had a high roof in his mouth and therefore pulled a lot more than normal, but that was the only explanation we could come up with. I think my case was unusual, but it was hard to hang in there for so long. The encouraging thing that I want to share is that it is WORTH hanging in there as long as you can. I just took it day by day. After 3 months of that, I toughened up and nothing could hurt after that. I was able to nurse for just over one year, and it was the best thing I could have done. Don't get discouraged...we've all been there!

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#4 of 10 Old 10-23-2006, 12:55 PM

2 weeks, maybe? Mine also hurt real bad at first then stopped after a few seconds of suckling. GL!

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#5 of 10 Old 10-23-2006, 03:48 PM

I am still sore during the first minute or so...but it's gradually getting better. My last 2 it seems like it was about 2-3 weeks before I "toughened up". It'll get better--just hang in there!

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
#6 of 10 Old 10-23-2006, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I seem to recall it taking 3 weeks or so. I would kick my heels on the floor during latch-on, or sometimes I'd try using my Bradley Method breathing.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#7 of 10 Old 10-23-2006, 04:28 PM

I had this experience with baby #1. All nursing./latching seemed to be fine but it HURT for the first few seconds and then was fine. That actually lasted about 6 weeks for me too. Actually, I think the first week was fine and then it hurt from about week 2-6, and then all seemed fine again.

Baby #2 is here now and I have not had this nipple soreness with him.

I have no idea what caused the pain for me. Hormones, maybe? I nursed through my 2nd pregnancy and had the same type of nipple pain on and off during pregnancy, which I totally blame on hormones and lack of milk, not latching since DS had been nursing for 2.5 years w/o any problems.

Keep checking to be sure baby opens mouth ALL THE WAY before latching on, otherwise, hang in there...

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#8 of 10 Old 10-23-2006, 04:43 PM

mine hurt bad for the 1st min. started at day 2. day 4 now and it doesnt seem to be *as* bad. but i remember dy 6 being horrible with chloe.

now... anyone else have a baby that gets so frantic and wont latch even when he wants to and it's in his mouth? sigh. i went through this with chloe around this age and remember sitting in bed crying cause i just wanted her to nurse and go to sleep. same thing last night. i know it will pass soon but dang it's like he is playing "bobbing for nipples". he just bobs his head on it but wont do anything. nursing laying down isn't all that fun yet either. he doesn't seem to like to latch from that position.
#9 of 10 Old 10-23-2006, 09:52 PM

Mine were sore less than a week, maybe 4 days.

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#10 of 10 Old 10-24-2006, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing all your experiences. I can see there is a range, but it's helpful at least to know what the general ballpark is. Hopefully I'll be closer to the two weeks rather than the three months!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page