Postdates mommas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 10-23-2006, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I'm not very far postdates but I'd love to share a little commisseration.

I've been doing pretty well for my whole pregnancy at not focusing on my "due" date, and I had no problem with it coming and going. But in the last few days I've been having all sorts of prelabor symptoms -- even a whole day of false labor -- and it's starting to drive me nuts. I can't help but get my hopes up that I'll go into labor this week, but thinking like that brings with it the fears about what will happen if I don't (the annoyance of frequent NSTs, the building frustration, watching my husband's vacation time trickle down the drain...)

Can anybody else relate?

(40w5d)
#2 of 40 Old 10-23-2006, 01:24 PM

I'm not post date yet, but am 39 weeks. I had lost my mucus plug at 33 1/2 weeks and was put on bed rest. Then about 2 weeks ago now, the mw/dr checked my cervix and it was softening, plus I had been having lots of false/pre labor symptoms so I was convinced I would go soon....
SIGH....
I know we do have the babies someday, but the stress of the due date itself, I wish they simply siad sometime in late october or early november, sure would help my mental health!

I'm sending all the positive birth vibes I can out to you! I hope it is sooner rather than later!
#3 of 40 Old 10-23-2006, 01:25 PM

I am with ya- frustrated, and wondering if it is ever gonna happen. Last time I succumbed to NSTs etc, and an eventual induction... so this time (See my thread "IS there anyone left from September" or something of the like, lol) I refuse to walk the same path. All there is to do is wait, wait , wait. Babies can't read calendars, right?

I am sorry it is frustrating. But really, years ago women had babies at 44 weeks plus or minus all the time. (My personal mantra to myself).

dd needs me.... sorry to run

Jaya- unschooling mama to Ariah Rayheartbeat.gif1/02   Rukundo Pacifiquebuddamomimg1.png11/08  

missing Trace Oak candle.gif 10/25/06

#4 of 40 Old 10-23-2006, 02:27 PM

I'm at 41 weeks now with my 5th babe.I've just been really tired,hungry and having a really hard time getting around now.Bending over,carrying my one year old and four year old as well,getting out of bed or a chair is just getting excruciating.Keeping the house clean is such a major chore every day and the laundry is sucking because my dryer is broken : But hey at least my husband is sleeping in as we speak and i am preparing to take all 4 kids grocery shopping with me after i transfer all the car seats from his truck to mine.I feel like if i could relax for a day i may be able to actually go into labor.I have lots of contrax all the time but i just disregard them.
#5 of 40 Old 10-23-2006, 03:37 PM

Yep, I'm at 40wks 6days, and if I had stayed with my original OB I'd be staring an induction in the face tomorrow. As it is, I'm scheduled to go in for an NST and u/s to check fluids. Even then, I'll only be given another week before this OB starts wanting to induce. I really don't want to go that route. She knows that it is possible to go longer, and she's a strange bird in this town letting me go to 42 weeks to begin with, but the infant mortality rate increases so steadily after that that she won't let any of her patients go longer, for now. She did say at my last appointment that there is promising research into placenta health that is being done that she hopes will end this push for induction at 41/42 weeks.

What's most frustrating for me is that I'm having no prelabor signs...no BH, no cntx that start then stop, nothing. At the chiro today I mentioned that my round ligaments are killing me, which she said is a good sign...but who really knows? I'm just trying to relax and let my body know it's okay to go into labor now. The hardest thing to deal with is just not knowing when it's going to happen. DH and I had a knock-down-drag-out over the weekend because we're both just so stressed about WHEN it's all going to start...and the phone calls don't help. I've started answering the phone, "No contractions yet." People laugh, but it's why they called. Geesh. Okay. I'm done venting.

Oh, I had a lunch so spicy my mouth was on fire for an hour. I'm drinking a glass of wine with dinner tonight. Hell, I've even jumped up and down trying to give ds the clue that IT'S TIME!!!
#6 of 40 Old 10-23-2006, 04:51 PM

swamp... i had NO signs of labor either. I never really had many BH. No nothing. I got one one night and was like "yay!!" and then never got more lol.

BUT... I went into labor with no signs before hand. I know it is frustrating though.

Jonas was born 5dys over but the midwife when she came after to check him out... she said he looked like he was actually 39.5wks. So wasn't really even due yet anyway.

Turn off the ringer and just let the machine get all calls. People aren't even thinking about the stress they cause by asking about baby all the time

HUGS to all of you still waiting. I am sure its harder being due at the end of the month too cause you are seeing everyone else have their babies. And even if you aren't that over or even due... it's frustrating. It was hard enough being due on the 14th. lol
#7 of 40 Old 10-23-2006, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I think there's something to this "start a thread about still being pregnant" stuff, because today I have bloody show and contractions have been getting stronger since noon. They're still so short lived that I'm not even bothering to time them yet, but every time one fades I worry "is that it? was it false labor?" and every time I'm rewarded with another within a few minutes. Somethin's happening!
#8 of 40 Old 10-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Banned

Hey girls, let's stay positive! We are going to have babies Scorpios!!!!!!!!!! Isn't that a good enough reason to wait a bit ?! I'll be thrilled if I don't go in labor until tomorrow! and it doesn't look like I will...any time soon ...
Today is my due date (well, the real one; my ob thought it was the 19th according to the u/s and my period, but I'm sure that's incorrect...after all there is no way one can conceive before having sex ).

Yulia.
#9 of 40 Old 10-23-2006, 07:29 PM

Allison - I had the same frustration with DS. My husband took off the week before my son was due and only had two weeks off. My son was born 41w1day, and that only left a few days for us to spend together before DH had to return to work. Luckily my mom flew up from Texas right as he went back and stayed a week, so I got a little over a week and a half with full-time help before being left on my own with DS. I know we all know that the average 1st time baby is born at 41w1d (my son was right on time, I guess) and the average 2nd time baby is born at 40w3d, but it is still hard to be patient! Just hang in there and enjoy your time with DH - oh wait. I just read your second post. Yeah! Sending you good birthing vibes!!! Maybe today is it (oooo - I hope that posting here is good luck

Okay - I want to vent now, since that's what this post is for. My doc says my due date is 10/24 (I think my siggy says 10/25, and I didn't even change it because none of those numbers mean anything), so my "due date" in my mind is tomorrow. I shouldn't be so impatient given my experience with DS, but with DS I had no cntx until I went into labor one morning and had him 12 hours later.

Saturday before last I had false labor all day and cancelled dinner plans, packed bags, and got really excited as I timed the regular cntx. By 8pm they quit. I had cntx off and on all week, crampy/menstral feelings, and midwife said I was dialated to 2cm 60% effaced last Tuesday. Then this Saturday night I went into "false" labor at 3am. I was so excited again! I walked the hills in the neighborhood at 4am twice. I drank lots of RRleaf tea. All Sunday morning we were excited and timing regular cntx again. I got bags into the car and even told my parents and sister that baby was on its way. This kept up for hours, but cntx didn't really get closer or more intense. To my great disappointment, everything stopped again by evening. Last night I slept like a baby - and didn't feel anything. Absolutely NO cntx today either! ARGHHH!! I"m so frustrated by the emotional rollercoaster of this second pregnancy. I don't mind being patient, but when I think something is happening it is a big letdown to watch it all just stop. Maybe my baby only likes to work once a week - LOL. Thanks for commiserating.

PS - Ariahsmum (jaya) you are incredibly patient - my goodness. I can't hold a candle to that kind of waiting!

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#10 of 40 Old 10-23-2006, 07:43 PM

Hang in there, mamas. I was postdates for the first time in this pregnancy, after weeks of prodromal labour (including two trips to the hospital at 36 and 39 weeks). It felt like physical and psychological torture, I tell you! I was miserable. But, of course, I eventually did go into labour and now have a little pumpkin in arms. It will happen soon
#11 of 40 Old 10-23-2006, 10:29 PM

Ugghhh...the prodromal labor stinks, doesn't it? I had that for 7 weeks last time before finally going into labor at 43 weeks.

This time...I've had two bouts of regular ctx for several hours. I don't tend to get a lot of warning, though...my last labor was 5 hours start to finish and I was not dilated at all when I went into labor. In fact, he wasn't even engaged in my pelvis.

Anyway, I am 45+ weeks at this point, and YES I have started to get pretty impatient. At this point, just doing a load of laundry tires out my lower back so much I'm out of comission for an hour. I feel like such a load. I really have no energy and I'm tired *all the time*.

I do wonder if maybe I'm 43+weeks instead, but that would mean that I was feeling movement consistantly from 9 weeks. I just think that's pushing it. And anyway, that still leaves me REALLY REALLY REALLY OVERDUE!!

I'm glad I'm not alone, at least...

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
#12 of 40 Old 10-24-2006, 01:17 AM

to those of you who are 42+ weeks.
#13 of 40 Old 10-24-2006, 08:27 AM

Hi Tracy So sorry you are still waitng- but it does make me feel better, lol.

Guess what everyone? I just woke up this morning, and.... :

I'm still with child. Everynight I get a good attitude, like "tonight could be the night" and then the mornings are so depressing.

I want to take a vacation and someone can call me when I'm in labor! Isn't 44 weeks enough already? I need to set the clock back and stop counting....

Jaya- unschooling mama to Ariah Rayheartbeat.gif1/02   Rukundo Pacifiquebuddamomimg1.png11/08  

missing Trace Oak candle.gif 10/25/06

#14 of 40 Old 10-24-2006, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariahsmum View Post
Hi Tracy So sorry you are still waitng- but it does make me feel better, lol.
It really is nice not to be alone on this!

Quote:
Guess what everyone? I just woke up this morning, and.... :

I'm still with child.
You made me laugh!

Quote:
Everynight I get a good attitude, like "tonight could be the night" and then the mornings are so depressing.
Me too! I was just talking with a friend last night...she said that's what she thinks, but we have a friend who goes the other way. She wakes up in the morning thinking "today could be the day" and went to bed depressed.

Only 6 more days in October.

I do not want a Halloween baby I do not want a Halloween baby I do not want a Halloween baby...

#15 of 40 Old 10-24-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwitch View Post
What's most frustrating for me is that I'm having no prelabor signs...no BH, no cntx that start then stop, nothing. At the chiro today I mentioned that my round ligaments are killing me, which she said is a good sign...but who really knows?

DH and I had a knock-down-drag-out over the weekend because we're both just so stressed about WHEN it's all going to start...
same here - i'm only at 40w1d but i have no signs at all so it doesn't even feel like it's soon. plus i thought i'd go early, so even on time feels late.

and my dh is getting way cranky - who's he to think he has a right to be cranky? pfft, men!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi
My Livi bear 10/26/2006
#16 of 40 Old 10-24-2006, 09:53 AM

I really hope i don't go over 43 weeks or i may go mad.How you mama's do it i will never know.I am the only one that cares for the kids and the home here and i am just so worn out.Personally i feel i am emotionally hindering this birth.I have felt ready a few times but then my husband and i fight and i just immediatley get depressed and want to crawl into a hole.We have been fighting nonstop for the last 4 days or so and it has been so awful.Part of me does not want him to be around for this birth at all because i feel so unsupported and loved by him.He has to be out of town all day tomorrow for a court hearing in another county and i feel like that may be the space i need to feel free of the stress and to give birth with just my kiddos around.Is that awful?I wish i had some family or friends who could come and give me some unconditional loving and support right now so i could get relaxed but that just isn't here.And a massage.Oh wow,that would be so great.I had to pull 3 carseats out of my husbands truck yesterday and put them in my van and i pulled every muscle in my back and i hurt so bad today!And i have been up since 5am this morning because i just couldnt' stand being in bed with my husband beside me anymore.All i could do was cry and think of how much i am really saddened by the state of our relationship.Well if you got this far thanks for listening!
#17 of 40 Old 10-24-2006, 11:20 AM

What is it with the cranky husbands? Mine has been amazing up until this morning! He stormed out of the house to work just now without breakfast or a kind word because our 2yo was fussing and I sent him to his room (DS to his room, not DH Anyway, I'm sure that the tension is getting to them too.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#18 of 40 Old 10-24-2006, 02:18 PM

I'm four days past my original EDD and 8 days past my EDD based on an u/s taken in the 11th week. Regardless, I'm a little frustrated. I'm tired, cranky, getting uncomfortable, and mainly just impatient! My mom drove down last week b/c we thought we were in labour and since its a 10 hour drive, she hadn't gone back. So, I feel a little guilty or "pressured" to have this baby. I'm totally getting all of the pre-labour stuff too - cramps, ctx (for 9 hours one day last week), etc.

So, I'm with you! And if I hear one more person tell me "when the time is right, the time is right", I'm going to swat them. They're not the one carrying this baby! And while I agree with them, in my "cranky b/c I'm pregnant" state, I don't want people telling me that!
#19 of 40 Old 10-24-2006, 02:21 PM

Hey Andrea! I was wondering where you were and glad you checked in. Let's hope your little one (and everyone else's) comes VERY soon!
#20 of 40 Old 10-24-2006, 02:28 PM

oops
#21 of 40 Old 10-24-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaibaby View Post
So, I'm with you! And if I hear one more person tell me "when the time is right, the time is right", I'm going to swat them. They're not the one carrying this baby! And while I agree with them, in my "cranky b/c I'm pregnant" state, I don't want people telling me that!
:
#22 of 40 Old 10-24-2006, 11:11 PM

I just realized that I'm surely the most pregnant woman in my city, probably my state, maybe even THE WHOLE COUNTRY!

#23 of 40 Old 10-26-2006, 01:14 PM

I am 40 weeks 4 days.

Am going to see the midwives tomorrow. Mine is on vacation, so it will be someone I've never met, and they're going to "offer" to sweep my membranes... I really don't think I am ready to irritate this baby out yet - as anxious as I am to meet him/her and as sore and sleepless as I am (not like those will decrease after the birth!), I am just not feeling ready to have a stranger's fingers stretching out my cervix. Sigh. But it's the policy here that babies come out by 42 weeks... Hopefully we don't get that far.

Okay, so on the bright side, we have had a chance to do some nice maternity photos! Haven't got any baby pictures to show off yet, so might as well make the belly appear as flattering as possible, right?

Belly up close

All pregnant and stuff

One of DP and me

And one more

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#24 of 40 Old 10-26-2006, 01:45 PM

CrunchyMamaToBe, I love those pictures! The last one is especially beautiful. The two of you look so happy
#25 of 40 Old 10-26-2006, 03:45 PM

they wanted me to induce on this past wednesday : at that point, i wasn't even a week overdue, so i promptly cancled the induction, and haven't heard from the coctor's office since, i'm kind of hoping they just forget about me....tomorrow, i'm officially a week overdue....i just keep saying this baby is going to come out when this baby wants to come out.....i can't wait to hold him or her in my arms, but only the baby knows when he or she is truly ready for that....as long as we are both in good health (which we are) i see no reason to induce, or try to "irritate" this baby out.....
#26 of 40 Old 10-26-2006, 05:10 PM

scartlettrose, induction at one week? That's not cool - good for you for bypassing the induction. Crunchymamatobe - I love those photos - especially the one of you two on the bench. HOw beautiful!

I'm inspired to post a pic of my son and my belly - I love it. I will have to show his sister one day once she's born:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ber2006008.jpg

By the way, at my visit this morning I was between 3-4cm dialated, 100% effaced, and at zero station...so I think it will be soon. In fact, I'm a little crampy today after that exam. We'll see. Good luck mommies - hang in there!

#27 of 40 Old 10-27-2006, 12:33 PM

Mandi and CrunchyMamaToBe, you both look so great in those pictures! Awesome!

Can I join the post-dates club?? I'm only 1 day over, but that's plenty! This is my first and I had always heard pregnant women complain about how hard the last month is and how ready they are to be done...

I guess I didn't understand that the feeling isn't always just the physical stuff getting to be too much! I actually (don't hate me) am still feeling completely fine physically, and 2+ more weeks wouldn't be a problem. BUT I can't believe how emotionally and mentally I am really ready to just get this baby out!!

I don't think people understand how hard it is to go for a month or longer never knowing WHEN it's coming! yikes, it's difficult! I hope all of our babies come out soon so that we can get on with the next stage!

Kate
due Oct 26 (yes, to everyone on the bus who keeps asking... that was yesterday)

DD (2006) and DD (2009) and pos.gif
#28 of 40 Old 10-27-2006, 01:19 PM

I have been doing so good until yesterday, now I can't stop crying. I just really want to hold this little baby, I feel like my life is on hold and it's driving me crazy. I am 40 + 8 and I know 41 weeks is average, it just seems like there are babies being born all around me but I am still pregnant. I was up all night...again, with lots of painful crampy ctx, kept going back to sleep now that I'm up, nothing. What is it about the evening that gets me going. My hormones are going nuts, I am just crying and crying....
#29 of 40 Old 10-27-2006, 01:25 PM

ColoradoKat - you may be closer than you think. When I had DS (which was 41 weeks 1 day), I woke up and cried that morning. I called my midwife and told her that I was sick of the cramping and wanted to get induced in two days. She laughed over the phone (I am not a very confrontational person, and this was very unlike me) and said she wouldn't be surprised if I was already there. I went into labor within a couple of hours. The hormones mean something Hang in there!

#30 of 40 Old 10-27-2006, 02:19 PM

Thanks bertrandsgirl, I needed that! Still crying though, between the tears and the peeing I should have bought stock in TP!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page