Dh is joining the Army - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-31-2006, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the past month dh has been in the application process to become an officer candidate for the Army. Yesterday he traveled 3 hours away to stand before the Selection Board and he was approved. He has 10 days to get sworn in, and at that time they will choose a date (with his input) for him to ship out to boot camp. It will be sometime after Christmas.

I am *SO* happy with him. This is what he has always wanted to do with his life, and it kept just not being the right time. He had aged out of all the branches and was really regretting that he had not done it. Then, just over a month ago, he discovered that the Army was accepting age waivers for officer candidates between 30-34. He is 33. And they are approving about 50% of the age waivers. It was clear to us that he had to do this.

So...here we go...I am 35 with 2 children and one overdue and we are starting on a whole new adventure. I'm nervous about the separations, but excited about so many other aspects.

My boys are working through what they can understand of what this means. My 2 y.o. is havning a harder time with it than the 5 y.o. Yesterday when we were getting ready to say the blessing at lunch he said, "Mommy will you pray for me? I am having a hard time because Daddy is going to the Army."

Anyway, I am sooooo relieved that this is *done*...he is approved. One less thing to wait for!

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
#2 of 6 Old 10-31-2006, 10:12 AM

Well a huge congrats to your dh on getting accepted into something he really wants to do! That's wonderful

It's really never to late to follow your dreams and goals. I'm sure that after some initial adjustment the boys will be so proud of their daddy and will get used to the changes in routine.

Congrats to all of you!
#3 of 6 Old 10-31-2006, 10:24 AM

Congratulations to your dh!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#4 of 6 Old 10-31-2006, 10:26 AM

Congrats

Michele
#5 of 6 Old 11-01-2006, 01:52 AM

From one military wife to another--congrats!
The seperations do suck--but there are bright spots in all of it! My dh is gone for this birth--he left when dd was 3 mo old also...however, there are good things too--I have less laundry and I don't have to cook!
#6 of 6 Old 11-01-2006, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Huh...I didn't even THINK of the "less laundry" perk!

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page