Health UPDATE on Caleigh Beth! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-02-2006, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Sorry, can't figure out how to edit the original post to include an update message in the title)

Caleigh is making great progress each day. She has been breast feeding for five days now and is taking more and more each day - she's gained over 7 oz since being born a week ago! She is also showing other great improvements with her muscle tone, reflexes, breathing etc. She is off her IV (although she is still receiving antibiotics for the meconium she ingested) and the facial swelling from birth has almost completely gone away. Also, we were told a couple of days ago that she flipped in labour and was lying transverse (sideways) so that combined with the meconium explains why she was in fetal distress, why labour became so difficult, and why it was necessary for a c-section.

We're keeping our fingers crossed that she will be able to come home with us this weekend. It all depends on the results of an EEG (brain scan) that will be taken either today or tomorrow. We're at the hospital with her each day, able to hold her and spend as much time as possible with her. The nurses & doctors in the Special Care Unit are absolutely wonderful - incredible with her and us, and they explain everything so well each step of the way.

By far, leaving her each night is harder than giving birth. I always say "okay, let's go" and then I look at her once more and end up crying for 45 minutes b/c I just can't leave her. It is so difficult knowing that each night she is staying at a hospital, being fed by nurses (who are wonderful, but they're not me!, does that make sense?!?), being held by nurses, and that tomorrow we are going to go through the same emotions again. My husband has been wonderful - he's much stronger emotionally than I am but I can tell it's wearing on us both. I guess knowing (hoping) that she comes home by Sunday is what I keep thinking about in order to stay together.

Thank you for all of your responses to my original post!

Andrea
#2 of 10 Old 11-02-2006, 10:55 AM

, Andrea! SO glad to hear that your precious little girl is getting better - I love her name by the way! How are you feeling? Take care and keep us updated!
#3 of 10 Old 11-02-2006, 11:20 AM

I'm glad she is doing better! Here's to having her home this weekend!:
#4 of 10 Old 11-02-2006, 12:53 PM

I cried reading your post, mama. My first son was taken to the NICU for fetal distress after a very traumatic labour and I wasn't able to see him for hours. While not what you're going through, that separation was incredibly difficult. I feel the pain in your words. I'm so sorry everything couldn't go more smoothly for the three of you. However, Caleigh seems to be doing very well and you sound like you are, too.

Are you able to leave a shirt you've worn or something like that in the isolette when you go home? Your scent would be on it and it might help you to know that she can smell you all night long. Just a thought

Much love and please continue to keep us posted. You're a wonderful mama - but of course we knew you would be
#5 of 10 Old 11-02-2006, 01:59 PM

to you mama! It is so hard- I know. Our little girl was in the NICU for 4 days- It's really hard to leave. Prayers that Caleigh will come home soon!

She's beautiful!!
#6 of 10 Old 11-02-2006, 03:05 PM

I'm glad to hear she's doing better and I hope she comes home soon!!
#7 of 10 Old 11-02-2006, 03:28 PM

Oh sweetie...I'm so very sorry.

I hope your little Caleigh comes home to your loving arms soon. You're in my thoughts!

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#8 of 10 Old 11-02-2006, 04:01 PM

That has got to be so hard, I'm sorry. I hope she gets to come home this weekend!

Oh and congrats on the birth of your beautiful daughter (I haven't had a chance to say that yet)!! Welcome Caleigh!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#9 of 10 Old 11-02-2006, 08:25 PM

SO glad Caleigh is progressing well. Hoping and praying she can go home with you this weekend. I can't imagine how hard this is on all of you. Hugs!
#10 of 10 Old 11-03-2006, 10:13 AM

I can only imagine how hard it must be to leave your baby. I'm so sorry you have to go through that. I hope she is able to come home very soon!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page