Devin's almost pain-free birth story (LONG)! (X-post) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-05-2006, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After all the pre term and prodomal labor I had with Devin I was ready to have my little girl in my arms instead of camping out in my uterus for the next 18 years! I was sleeping when a contraction woke me up at 4am on Friday, November 3rd. I thought nothing of it and went back to sleep – I had been having contractions wake me up for nearly three months at that point.

Dh woke up at 5am to get ready for work and I told him this “might be it” but he decided to go to work anyway and have me call him if I needed him. Boy am I glad I called him early because my labor was so short he wouldn’t have made it since he delivers furniture and can sometimes be a few hours away – not to mention the drive home!

I played around on the MDC board for a few hours waiting to see if things picked up at all and the contractions were 10 minutes apart and not really strong. I fed my toddler and did the dishes. We played for a while and about 8am I realized I was needed to sing through the contractions to not scare my daughter. It was cute – I would sing, “La la la…” and dd would repeat it back to me – she sounded much happier to be singing though!

I called dh at about 8:30 and told him I thought he needed to come home; I also called my Midwife and Doula to let them know I thought this was it. I got dd ready for dh to take to the day care she goes to while I attend school a few times a week as they were our “Plan B” if we needed them. While dh was gone I hid out in the dark bedroom with the cat in a corner just shouting things like, “I LOVE being in labor!” I was really trying to keep a sense of humor and that seemed to help.

Not sure how much time passed but I made a birthday cake for Devin all the while making dh laugh by the things I shouted through my contractions like, “Why do people have sex?” and “We’re not having any more babies!”. Dh decided it was time to call the midwife and Doula – it was 11am and my contractions were 3-5 minutes apart. My midwife told him to begin filling the tub and I thought it was odd since I thought I had plenty of time to go before this baby would be born – I had a 30 hour labor with the first.

My midwife and doula arrived at 12 within minutes of each other. I got on the birthing ball and the contractions stopped. I chatted some more, they picked up again but nothing intense so I frosted the cake. We all just talked and laughed until about 1:30 – that’s when I began needing to lean on Jeremy for support so we slow danced in the living room to Amos Lee. (Great labor CD if anyone is interested)

I asked my midwife if I could get in the tub and she said she needed to make sure I was at least 5cm as it would possibly stall labor. She checked and said I was a “stretchy 8”. We all were shocked – me most of all! I got in at around 2:15pm and that’s when things really got intense. I had to moan through the contractions and I lost myself fin them a few times which made it hurt so much worse. Jeremy got in with me and I floated above him while he supported my back. He talked me through them and my Doula talked me through visualizing I was on a beach – ahhhhh…I love water!

I asked my Midwife what it felt like to push - with Kiera I had had so much Pitocin that although I had no epidural I didn’t know what it felt like without the aid of drugs. I began to cry and said I was scared to push since I tore so badly before. Then I heard myself grunt and my body took over for me. I was still scared and tried not to push but that didn’t work too well. After 3 big pushes and 3 small pushes, Devin Loralei made her grand entrance into the world. I pushed her out on my hands and knees and I was the one who helped take her out of the water. I will never forget that – I am actually the first thing she ever saw. She opened her eyes as she came out of the water and looked right into mine.

We stayed in the water until the cord stopped pulsing and dh cut it. I had complications delivering the placenta and the midwife gave me a shot of Pitocin after an hour and a half of trying everything else. She said it was a double occult separation which can turn into a ad complication but all is well now. Devin nursed like a champ right away and dd #1 was brought home to meet her sister. When my Midwife weighed her we all laughed – no one would have guessed she was this big! I have one tiny tear on my perineum where my old scars are but NO OTHER TEARING!!! What I have learned is to have confidence in my body and in my abilities – this birth was so empowering after my last experience. Women’s bodies are amazing.
#2 of 4 Old 11-05-2006, 08:33 PM

Great birth story!! I'm trying to imagine yelling funny things during contractions, but I guess I don't have as good of a sense of humor
#3 of 4 Old 11-05-2006, 09:32 PM

What a great birth story!!!! Glad both you and Devin are doing well!
#4 of 4 Old 11-06-2006, 12:40 AM

Stephanie,
Congratulations on the safe and beautiful arrival of your precious daughter.

WELCOME DEVIN LORALEI

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page