Better late than never? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2006, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone!

Sorry that I haven't gotten a chance to update in for a while [like a couple of months!]. We got home with the New Guy on the afternoon of October 19th, 2006. And while I had every intention of sitting down and checking emails and updating everyone and showing off pics of Charles, it just didn't work out that way. [:

So Charles Frederick was born on the 17th of October, 2006, coming in a couple of hours shy of being the 300,000,000th baby born in the USA at 09:15. Tipping the scales at Seven Pounds, 14.1 Ounces with a length of 19 and ¾ inches. He was also just a few hours shy of being born on [one of] his big brother's [Dagon's] birthday!

His birth was an interesting one. My water broke at about 1:08 on the 16th of October and no contractions started – at all. So we stayed home. I walked around, hoping to get some contractions started naturally – but to no avail. Since I knew we were headed to a hospital instead of a Birthing center – I wanted to get to the hospital before 12 hours had passed as I knew they would try to force me into a C-Section [I knew that much of the policies of the hospital] and I didn't want to deal with that stress – so I just went in at 12 hours. Unfortunately, despite our great protests, they made me lie down and strapped me to monitors. Needless to say, that made us quite upset – but “it's policy” - so I suffered though it. Simon, bless him, had put a bunch of movies and shows on his laptop and we brought that with us while I was lying there [nothing happening]. When I got there, I was 5 cm – and since I was just lying there on the bed, 4 hours later I was only at 6. Imagine that – I can't imagine [i[why[/i] - [sarcasm] Anyway, time was running out before they were going to try to force me into a C-Section [which I was going to just walk out if they even dared...] so they gave me a tiny bit of Pitocin [4 mili whatevers] and the contractions started rolling in. They checked me again at about 8:50 and I was 8 cm. The contractions were actually coming at that stage, though. At 9 08 ish, I got the urge to push. The called the Dr. He barely made it in the room before Charles decided to show up. [: Three pushes and he was here, 100% fully here. He would have been here sooner if they hadn't made me stop pushing through the first two. ^^ He caused me 15 minutes of pain. That's all! 15 minutes pretty much of real contractions and he was out!

His Apgars – 9 and 9. Healthy, too! Had no problems latching on [when he was awake, that is] He sleeps wonderfully. Granted, it's mainly all day and is “up” at night. Hahah. By discharge date, he'd lost 4 ounces. Considering everything, that's pretty awesome. He fed at LEAST every 2 hours – sometimes more.

I hate - HATE - that hospital, though. They were terrible. Horrible. They had the stupidest policies and rules. I even heard one of the nurses advising one of the new mothers to circ because it decreases the chance of cancer in their future sexual partners.

Then another one told a mother who'd had a C-Section that they'd given her baby Formula even though she said very clearly that the child was NOT to be given anything AT ALL.

So yeah – I'm so never, ever, EVER going back to that Hospital ever again. Next time I'm having a kid, I am either having a home birth or flying back to Cayman. Never in a hospital again.

Anyway, that's the Cliff's Notes version of the birth. All in all, I wasn't happy with the birthing experience – but I was endlessly pleased with the end result! He's so sweet and doing so well! [':

I'm sorry this has taken so long for me to post in here. My laptop was taken in for servicing and I'm just now getting any sort of internet access. I'll be reading up on all of your birth stories and checking out all the pics of your new little ones! I hope you're all well!

Pics can be found -

Hi everyone!

Sorry that I haven't gotten a chance to update in for a while [like a couple of months!]. We got home with the New Guy on the afternoon of October 19th, 2006. And while I had every intention of sitting down and checking emails and updating everyone and showing off pics of Charles, it just didn't work out that way. [:

So Charles Frederick was born on the 17th of October, 2006, coming in a couple of hours shy of being the 300,000,000th baby born in the USA at 09:15. Tipping the scales at Seven Pounds, 14.1 Ounces with a length of 19 and ¾ inches. He was also just a few hours shy of being born on [one of] his big brother's [Dagon's] birthday!

His birth was an interesting one. My water broke at about 1:08 on the 16th of October and no contractions started – at all. So we stayed home. I walked around, hoping to get some contractions started naturally – but to no avail. Since I knew we were headed to a hospital instead of a Birthing center – I wanted to get to the hospital before 12 hours had passed as I knew they would try to force me into a C-Section [I knew that much of the policies of the hospital] and I didn't want to deal with that stress – so I just went in at 12 hours. Unfortunately, despite our great protests, they made me lie down and strapped me to monitors. Needless to say, that made us quite upset – but “it's policy” - so I suffered though it. Simon, bless him, had put a bunch of movies and shows on his laptop and we brought that with us while I was lying there [nothing happening]. When I got there, I was 5 cm – and since I was just lying there on the bed, 4 hours later I was only at 6. Imagine that – I can't imagine [i[why[/i] - [sarcasm] Anyway, time was running out before they were going to try to force me into a C-Section [which I was going to just walk out if they even dared...] so they gave me a tiny bit of Pitocin [4 mili whatevers] and the contractions started rolling in. They checked me again at about 8:50 and I was 8 cm. The contractions were actually coming at that stage, though. At 9 08 ish, I got the urge to push. The called the Dr. He barely made it in the room before Charles decided to show up. [: Three pushes and he was here, 100% fully here. He would have been here sooner if they hadn't made me stop pushing through the first two. ^^ He caused me 15 minutes of pain. That's all! 15 minutes pretty much of real contractions and he was out!

His Apgars – 9 and 9. Healthy, too! Had no problems latching on [when he was awake, that is] He sleeps wonderfully. Granted, it's mainly all day and is “up” at night. Hahah. By discharge date, he'd lost 4 ounces. Considering everything, that's pretty awesome. He fed at LEAST every 2 hours – sometimes more.

I hate - HATE - that hospital, though. They were terrible. Horrible. They had the stupidest policies and rules. I even heard one of the nurses advising one of the new mothers to circ because it decreases the chance of cancer in their future sexual partners.

Then another one told a mother who'd had a C-Section that they'd given her baby Formula even though she said very clearly that the child was NOT to be given anything AT ALL.

So yeah – I'm so never, ever, EVER going back to that Hospital ever again. Next time I'm having a kid, I am either having a home birth or flying back to Cayman. Never in a hospital again.

Anyway, that's the Cliff's Notes version of the birth. All in all, I wasn't happy with the birthing experience – but I was endlessly pleased with the end result! He's so sweet and doing so well! [':

I'm sorry this has taken so long for me to post in here. My laptop was taken in for servicing and I'm just now getting any sort of internet access. I'll be reading up on all of your birth stories and checking out all the pics of your new little ones! I hope you're all well!

Pics can be found -

http://picasaweb.google.com/tehDeathKitten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2006, 07:56 PM

What a beautiful little baby! Congratulations, mama I'm sorry you had a less-than-ideal hospital birth, but very glad that he was a healthy (and cute!) addition to your family
Old 11-07-2006, 08:28 PM

Congratulations!! Welcome baby Charles!! (ARG!! I hate hearing when hospitals don't listen!!!)
Old 11-07-2006, 10:27 PM

Congrats on baby Charles!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:47 PM

Congrats! I understand the hospital frustrations but I'm glad it all worked itself out for you! He's gorgeous!
Old 11-08-2006, 01:57 AM

nak lurking back in oct, my baby girl decided to come in nov. congratulations, hes gorgeous!

11/06 and 1/09 :
Old 11-08-2006, 06:59 AM

nak

congrats!
Old 11-10-2006, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! My net has been acting up so I haven't gotten a chance to loook at all your new little ones and read all of your birth stories - I hope that everything was wonderful for you all! [The pics and stories that I HAVE been able to read are wonderful, though! Thank you all so much for sharing ^^]
Old 11-10-2006, 11:08 PM

Congrats! Welcome Charles Frederick!! He is so cute!!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 11-11-2006, 02:07 AM

congratulations!!

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)

User Tag List