cracked nipple. any good remedies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-10-2006, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to deal with a cracked nipple? I'm using lanolin. I'm going to start pumping that breast for a little while to give it a break from DS and his vigorous chomping! Are there any other things I can do to promote quick healing?
#2 of 13 Old 11-10-2006, 10:23 AM

Expressing some milk on your nipple and then air drying may do the trick.
#3 of 13 Old 11-10-2006, 10:40 AM

nak

lansinoh cream--mine were blistering/bleeding-this worked amazing, only took a week to clear up...
good luck, i know its tough at first !
#4 of 13 Old 11-10-2006, 02:47 PM

I only had one nipple get really bad, it lasted about a week. But I did all that you said you're doing. Used lanolin after each feeding and pumped on that breast while feeding him on the other. I started to dread when he was hungry because it hurt so bad, but my baby needed to eat! (Before we got the pump). It will get better
#5 of 13 Old 11-10-2006, 02:51 PM

Soothies
www.soothies.com

You can get them at Walgreens, WalMart, CVS....lots of places.
#6 of 13 Old 11-10-2006, 03:22 PM

I had/have the same problem (with both babies so far). A lactation consultant actually gave me a Medela nipple shield. There were some studies in the 80's that said that babies drink less milk with these, but she showed me three recent studies that disproved it (including one done by her group). She was really knowledgeable (had 4 homebirths herself and delayed vaccinations - so similar parenting ideas as I have). I used the shield for two or three days. I still had some pain, but I think it gave the skin a little break. I don't use it now. I also used lanolin and soothies (only I bought the Gerber brand soothies at Target for much less than the others cost). I also take hot baths twice a day for my stitches and put epsom salts in the water. Then I try to lean over and let the nipples sit in the hot water and salt twice a day. I've even heard that you can put used tea bags on them to soothe pain. I still have pain when DD latches on, but the skin has healed and is getting tougher by the day - so things are getting easier as I go. Hope that helps!

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#7 of 13 Old 11-10-2006, 03:29 PM

My friend gave me some all natural stuff that I am loving.
http://motherlove.com/products_salves.php
It is the nipple cream.

11/06 and 1/09 :
#8 of 13 Old 11-11-2006, 12:00 AM

You need a perscription from your midwife or doc, but All Purpose Nipple Cream (also called Canadian Nipple Cream) can be helpful.
unfortunately it can be expensive, so insurance coverage helps.
#9 of 13 Old 11-11-2006, 12:58 AM

I heard of this too - APNO (all purpose nipple ointment) through my midwife. Good idea...

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#10 of 13 Old 11-12-2006, 06:15 PM

I really like Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple cream. I am allergic to wool and even though I know a lot of people really like lanolin based products, I swear it made my nipples worse last time.

I agree with other posters that sometimes it is best to just use a little like and let them air dry as much as possible. I had such a hard time at the beginning last time and I really think part of it was because I just kept messing with my nipples so much. This time I had some pain the beginning. I used the nipple cream twice and that was it. Things are much better now -- 4 weeks out. With DD it was 8 weeks of excruciating, toe-curling, tear-wrenching pain each and everytime she latched on. This is much better.

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
#11 of 13 Old 11-12-2006, 06:18 PM

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/03b-t...asts.html#apno

Dr. Newmans all purpose nipple ointment

You need to get a prescription and take it to a compounding pharmacist, but it is worth it.
#12 of 13 Old 11-19-2006, 09:11 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Earth Mama Angel Baby Nipple Butter!!! LOVE IT!!! also, I learned recently that there have been some concerns about toxins in the lanolin products, something about lanolin coming from the sebaceous glands of sheep (the oily root of wool - they boil wool and the lanolin rises to the top and that's where we get it. blech!).

I always used lanolin in the past and had pretty major problems. This time, I used breast shells to keep the air moving over my breasts when I couldn't have them just hanging out, and I used the nipple butter. Actually my son is five weeks old today and I'm still using the nipple butter and about to order more.

EarthMamaAngelBaby.com also has LOTS of great products for pregnancy, labor, nursing moms, etc. They're going to be my source for gifts for new moms from now on! I like the Bosom Buddies breast compresses, too.

Anyway, very much recommend the nipple butter. For those interested, it's organic and vegan, too.

Heidi
#13 of 13 Old 11-21-2006, 07:32 PM

I have heard that if you can expose your breasts to sun as much as possible. Also black tea bags- put them on after they steep and let them cool down.
Nipple creams are good as well as breast shields. It does get better.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page