Anyone else ECing? Foamy poops? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2006, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I got a potty bowl and have been putting DS2 on it at each diaper change -- he is almost always pooping in the potty right now. I am floored, really. (We didn't start EC with DS1 until he was around 3 months old.)

Anyway, he often has regular bf-poo (bright yellow, seedy, etc. with some liquid) and then he will have some poos that are mostly just foam.

I know that I have a lot of milk (due to tandeming) and his poops aren't green at all, so I don't think this is the "frothy, green poops" due to overactive letdown... but I am not sure about the foam. I don't remember DS1 having them (but then again, we weren't ECing him at this age). If the foamy poos go in a diaper or I wipe them, they just look like a stain.

I'm just curious, anyone else's little one making lots of foam?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2006, 04:36 PM

I can't offer much help on the foam - but I have an EC question. I think we could manage to detect her poos in time to get DD on the pot, but how does that work with weewee? I tried EC with DS and gave up after two weeks. Just wondering.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
Old 11-11-2006, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I have always had a fairly relaxed attitude about EC -- it is not all or nothing for me. I have always just "caught" when I can. With DS1 (started at 3 months), I just spent an hour or so a day with him naked and caught and cued as possible. He was in cloth diapers at other times and as time went on, he went naked more and more at home and in undies, etc. From six months on, catching poos was really easy and he stopped poo-ing in his diapers around 6 or 8 months old.

With DS2 (2 wks old right now), I just use cloth dipes and at each wake up, I nurse him a bit, then put him on the potty. He is almost always pooping in the pot right now. I think it's easier for him when I hold him upright. I am not worried about pees right now -- they mostly go in the diaper for now.

Sorry if this is scattered -- I've got to run, but feel free to ask more questions or send me email. There are lots of great resources out there.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:38 AM

I haven't started putting DS2 (2.5 weeks) on the potty yet - still recoving from section, busy chasing a 2 yr old and he seems to poop better laying down. I have been laying him naked on some prefolds a few times a day though. His poops are as you describe - the right color, but foamy and runny. I think whatever is making them foamy is also giving him a rash Wondering if it is something I am eating.

I didn't start EC with DS1 until 6 months. Kind of nervous about starting so young with DS2. Are you cueing your DS? I have been trying to find a pattern or signal he is giving and haven't been able to.

User Tag List