Bedtime - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-22-2006, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok ladies, DS has no problem sleeping during the day, he will cry when he is hungry and then fall back asleep after a few minutes. But as soon as DH and I climb into bed and lie him next to us he cries off and on for up to 2 hours. It doesn't matter what time we go to bed...8pm, 10pm, 2am it kicks in whenever we try to go to bed. He will doze off and wake up crying until he falls asleep again. He eventually falls asleep for the night, but it has been happening every night without fail. I sit up and hold him/rock him, I see if he's hungry...I caress his face, pat his back but nothing helps at bedtime. But it all works during the day. We keep a light on so it isn't a darkness thing. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2006, 10:12 PM

Is he sleeping upright or slightly upright during the day? Sorry to say but he might have reflux and laying down can exacerbate it. Just a thought!

He may still be working out the difference between night and day as well -- and may just be more awake then. I'd continue to do what you are doing. Nurse hime, comfort him, hold him, etc. It may also just be a phase and he'll out grow it. But do check into the reflux thing to make sure there isn't a physical cause.

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
Old 11-23-2006, 04:17 AM

Hey there,

Omama is right - reflux is an issue with newborns. We put DD to sleep on her side on an incline so that she doesn't have this. Occasionally, if we are going to be sitting right next to her (watching TV or something), we put her to sleep on her belly and inclined too. Neither of mine did good on their backs. Also - have you tried swaddling? Strange things can set off a baby - I even read about one baby who cried at every feeding until the mother figured out that he hated being next to the strong smell of her deodorant. Check out the texture of the sheets, smells in the bed, whether the light is too bright, etc. You'll only be able to figure it out by trying things and seeing what makes a difference. Two hours of crying is a lot - I hope that things get easier soon!

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
Old 11-23-2006, 12:35 PM

I second the swaddling idea. There is a great book that has been our bible for the first four weeks - "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Carp. It talks about the five "S'" - swaddling, shushing, swinging, sucking, and side/stomach. It kind of gets repetitive but the information is great and Caleigh really did well when we followed the five S'.

(On a side note, I was so envious to read that once your little one is asleep, he stays asleep! I actually said to my DH last night "when do you think Caleigh will stay asleep through the night?" and he said "six months" as he rolled over for a solid eight hours [he doesn't get up with me at night for feedings]. But lo and behold, she slept a solid seven hours last night! So, I'm sorry that you're having troubles but apparently your post led to my daughter sleeping through the night for the first time!)
Old 11-23-2006, 01:42 PM

Jackson and I still sleep in a recliner in the livingroom due to reflux. If he lies down flat for too long he ends up having some pain. However, it does make for a full night's sleep for both of us, so I really don't mind in the slightest.

During the day he does doze here and there out flat, but long stretches are too much for him. We have Declan's old infant carseat in the house that keeps him more upright - he sleeps best there if not in my arms. We also use an upright snugli for thoes really fussy moments.

I hope it passes soon for you
Old 11-23-2006, 02:15 PM

We found The Happiest Baby on the Block book by Karp to be very helpful last time around too and use many of the techniques we learned. Even if your babe doesn't take to swaddling immediately, don't give up. Sometimes they protest at first, but then like the secure feeling, especially when being held and moving around.

And chaibaby, as hard as it is, I'd try not to think too much about when Caleigh will "regularly" sleep through the night. All babes are very different. With DD she didn't sleep through the night until she was about 15 months old and night weaned. That is just how it worked for us. Right now DS (who is 6 weeks tomorrow) has never gone for a stretch longer than 3.5 hours and that has happened only once so far. Normally he wakes about every 2 hours. I am pretty much assuming it will be this way for a long time. Another good book to look at to learn more about baby's sleep patterns is The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley.

Anyway, I am glad that many babes are sleeping so well! Things are definitely harder for mamas when they are lacking sleep.

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
Old 11-23-2006, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the great advice. I didn't think of reflux. My poor baby I hope that isn't it. He does sleep inclined all day long on my chest. At night he sleeps on his side snuggled against the boobs. We will look into the reflux thing for sure. He loved being swaddles at the begining, and he might still like it, we 'll give that a try too. I'm very lucky that he sleeps through the night. He usually wakes up around 6:30am to eat, which is about the time DH gets up for work. He occasionally will wake up around 3am and eat so I wake up DH to burp him and to change his diaper. I have some over supply issues so I have to stop to burp him 2 or 3 times each time he eats. Anyways...thanks again. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-24-2006, 12:34 AM

Not from your DDC but I am having the same problem.
My baby will sleep tonnes in the day. Eating in between naps. Then @ about 10 pm she is up until about 2:30 am. She will only sleep snuggled up to my boobs and me sitting in the recliner. The second we put her in the bassinette she is awake within 5 mins. It never fails. But if the only way for us to both get sleep @ nite is to sit up in a chair then I guess it works.

But some of things your posts say about reflux and swaddling are very helpful. Thanks!
Old 11-24-2006, 05:11 AM

If your baby doesn't have reflux (fingers crossed!) may I suggest that bub is sleeping too much during the day. I don't let my babies sleep more than 2 hours at a time and have this one on a feed, play, sleep routine. When he starts getting jerky movements or grizzles, yawns or rubs eyes - it's time for bed. It takes a couple of days before the baby figures out what's going on but then you'll notice your nights getting easier!

Good luck!
Old 11-24-2006, 01:20 PM

I have found that my daughter does pretty well in the bouncy seat at night. She sleeps in it during the day and it makes sense that she likes it better than the bassinette. soon2be3 how do you keep your baby awake. My DD sleeps when she is tired, even if we are playing.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

i'm not sure how i feel about keeping my baby up when he's sleepy...its not really a problem for me to stay up all night with him since i'm a sahm...he is starting to be awake on his own during the day a little bit more, if it isnt reflux and is a sleeping thing i think he will get it worked out in time
Old 11-25-2006, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliarose View Post
soon2be3 how do you keep your baby awake. My DD sleeps when she is tired, even if we are playing.
I don'[t keep him awake in a forceful way, if he's due for a feed and a nappy change I feed him first then change him and talk to him the whole time. At night I change first then feed and avoid eye contact but still give a quick cuddle before putting him down. After a few days he figured out which time was more fun to be awake. He's seven weeks now and rarely he'll want to sleep from feed to feed during the day, if the nappy change and interaction doesn't wake him I figure he must need some extra sleep that day and leave him.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

He went to bed last night without fussing! He was awake a little more during the day. He did wake a few times to nurse but hey, I can deal with that, no problem. I hope tonight goes as well.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:55 PM

Also not from your DDC (I'm from Nov). But exactly the same thing w/ my DD! We just assume it'll be a 3 hour breastfest when we want to go to sleep and have given up putting her down in her sidecar...at all! DH says she only recognizes OUR bed as HER bed! We swaddle at night (but not during the day) and whatever we do during the day does NOT help at night! Oh, well...

The other interesting thing is that she chooses her nights to projectile vomit - over me, DH, my pillows, our bed, the floor - well - anywhere! Anyone else experience this? Naturopathic Dr. and MW say it's probably sensitivity to cow milk (which I've cut from my diet)...
Old 12-02-2006, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

The vomiting may be an oversupply of milk. I had that problem with my DS and I was told that if I burped him ocassionally during feeding that it would help. It totally helped. We haven't been vomited on in weeks! Does it sound like he's gulping when he nurses?

DS has been getting a little better about bedtime, we did some reading online and DH found a site that said extra iron in mothers diet may cause "colicy babies" and I'm still on iron supplements due to my massive blood loss a few days after he was born (leading to my D&C). I'm supposed to take them for 2 more months...if that is the culprit...what to do?
Old 12-02-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab80 View Post
The vomiting may be an oversupply of milk. I had that problem with my DS and I was told that if I burped him ocassionally during feeding that it would help. It totally helped. We haven't been vomited on in weeks! Does it sound like he's gulping when he nurses?
I'm not sure if she's gulping or not...I do try to burp her, but sometimes she holds out on me!!! If I don't burp her, or the burp doesn't come up, she seems to spit up a bit...No biggy - especially compared to those projectile vomits! How often are you burping baby? Do you take baby off of breast to burp baby?
Old 12-03-2006, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

I do take DS off the breast to burp him. The timing depends on how long it takes for him to start getting too much. It will start to pour out of his mouth eventually. Sometimes when he loses his latch I just start spraying everywhere
Old 12-09-2006, 04:28 AM

The first couple weeks Sage slept on his belly right on top of me alllll night long ( boy my back wasnt ready for that yet ) then a few weeks later he laid next to me.

Maybe try sleeping with pillows propped so you yourself are inclined and then have him resting on you.

Is it possibly to quiet in the room?

Michele
Old 12-09-2006, 04:33 AM

OH LAB

sounds like overactive letdown which effected DS1 Alot. As soon as i thought i was feelinga let down i had to take him home. i still have it with sage however he is good about knowing and will take his face and literally rub it all over my boob ( after a couple times i figured out he was doing that to stop the flow) I was spraying everywhere

I also feed him one side each nurse session and sometimes the next time he wants to nurse whether 5 min after or 2 hrs after i start on the same side and then continue on the next ( THIS IS WHAT worked great with Ds1 too.) It made sure he would receive the foremilk and hindmilk. I found out froma wonderful lactation consultant that many moms with overactive letdown are actually dx with having babies with reflux when really it can be they are not receiving enough hindmilk, getting to much air..

and as for people saying BF babies dont need to burp.. tell that to a mom with an overactive let down and a baby boy that has to burp 3 xs after nursing
however i noticed the last week or so he is not needing to burp so much..

google 'colic in the breastfed baby' and it should come up alot about overactive letdown

HTH

Michele
Old 12-10-2006, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

When he cries when DH and I are in bed the first thing I try is to sleep inclined with him on my chest, sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't. He has been better about eating and not needing to burp so much, but he does spit up a little bit after he does burp. I learned the hard way after having spit up right down my cleavage a few times, unpleasant! We had our 6 week checkup the other day and my midwife suggested the same thing about the foremilk and hindmilk, I'm trying as best I can to change sides when needed but sometimes I just forget or don't realize until he's latched on and almost asleep that he should be on the other side.

User Tag List