Wearing baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to rave about my 2 fav baby carriers! We LOVE the Ergo carrier, it saves my body and little Neva loves being in there. Within 2 minutes she is asleep and we can easily take her out, still asleep and put her in our bed. I also love the snuggle wrap! When I first put her in it I cried because she felt so close and save in there, like when I was pregnant. This takes a bit to get on, but I am getting better at it. We were at a cocktail party the other night and I felt kind of stylish with it on.

I love wearing her, she is on me most of the time. I am ready to get my abs back though because I think it will help with the back pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 04:04 PM

I also love to wear my babe...so does DH. I use the Baby Bjorn and DH uses a sling. He is quickly outgrowing both of them though. :
#3 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 04:58 PM

I love wearing my little guy, too. However, I only own two hand-made ring slings and a Graco carrier. He only likes the Graco so far and the thing is a pain to get on and take off. I wish we had a better alternative. I may have to look into it. I'll check out what you've been using, Kat
#4 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 09:32 PM

I also enjoy wearing my babies. I have used a woven wrap, a mei-tei, a ring sl;ing, and a pouch so far. DH only uses a pouch. Owen definitely prefers the ring sling or the wrap. Kieran doesn't care. I have also worn both in the Maya wrap at the same time, and on 2 occasions worn one twin in the wrap and the other twin on top of the first in the maya. very funny. A friend tried double slinging them, and said she thought she knew what it must have felt like to carry them during pregnancy. She sure looked big enough!

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#5 of 27 Old 11-28-2006, 01:40 AM

2 faves: Moby and ring sling.

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

#6 of 27 Old 11-28-2006, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have many carriers, my fav so far for this babe have been my moby, LOVE it, i can't believe it took me this long to get one, and my Kozy Kangaroo fleece pouch. I get so many comments on both of them the few times we have ventured out. I have several different ring slings that I am not enjoying right now, maybe later.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 27 Old 11-28-2006, 12:25 PM

My Moby is my favorite right now. But I also turn to my ring sling when I'm in a real hurry. DH prefers the sling. DS also gets to ride around in the Bjorn and Ergo when we are out and about. My only complaint is that try as I may I can never nurse in any of my carriers. I have tried and tried. It would be really nice to do this so I can attend to my 2.5YO at the same time.

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
#8 of 27 Old 11-28-2006, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

RING SLING MAMA's.... how do you get your babe in there with out feeling like they are going to fall out. I don't feel hands free with mine, maybe I am doing it wrong. Thanks!!!!!
#9 of 27 Old 11-28-2006, 01:33 PM

There are several websites that may give you more info. Sorry I don't have the time to look them up. There are probably some links or a sticky under the baby wearing forum here at MDC too. But basically make sure the "inner wall" or piece of fabric closest to you is tucked up and around baby. And then tighten by pulling on the tail as much as is comfortable. You'll need to pull on each side of the tail to get the right fit since one side works the outer wall and other the inner wall. It just takes some practice too. I can only wear mine for shorter period of times since baby's weight is mainly on one shoulder, but it is very handy when you need to put baby on quickly and you don't have to set him/her down to put it on, unlike a wrap (moby, ellaroo, etc.) or most constructed carriers (bjorn, ergo, etc.). Good luck!

#10 of 27 Old 11-28-2006, 01:58 PM

Try this link for wearing instructions.
#11 of 27 Old 11-28-2006, 02:57 PM

In my experience with ring slings, you generally need to keep a hand on/near the baby, depending on how they're positioned.

For this reason, I definitely prefer wraps (Moby or Didymos, etc.). They are truly hands free, as the baby is more upright against the center of your body, and the straps go over both shoulders. I can get a lot more done this way -- reaching things from cupboards, etc.

Hope this helps!
#12 of 27 Old 11-28-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_o View Post
In my experience with ring slings, you generally need to keep a hand on/near the baby, depending on how they're positioned.

For this reason, I definitely prefer wraps (Moby or Didymos, etc.). They are truly hands free, as the baby is more upright against the center of your body, and the straps go over both shoulders. I can get a lot more done this way -- reaching things from cupboards, etc.

Hope this helps!

I agree. I never felt hands free with my ring sling, that's why this time I use my moby and my pouch sling...although she's mostly "worn" by my arms...

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#13 of 27 Old 11-28-2006, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Good to know it wasn't just that I didn't know how to use the ring sling. I have only been using my moby and Ergo..Love EM!!!
#14 of 27 Old 11-28-2006, 08:58 PM

I HATE ring slings. LOL I LOVE my Moby. This is the first baby I have successfully worn and it's all because of my Moby.

BUT... I still find I don't wear him all that much because I can't ever think of things to do while wearing him around the house. He doesn't like for me to wear it sitting down. I find unloading the dishwasher kind of annoying. Bending over is still obnoxious in it. So I just end up walking around the house looking bored and stupid. lol So we still end up just sitting here a lot.
#15 of 27 Old 11-28-2006, 09:59 PM

Lovin our mama's milk sling and our moby. He prefers the vmoby but the sling issed more as it fits better in the diaperbag
#16 of 27 Old 11-29-2006, 11:54 AM

May sound kinda goofy, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem. I wore Zane a couple of times when he was about two weeks old, including when we took our girls trick-or-treating on Halloween. I've also worn him in the Moby a couple of times to take the girls to the park, and around the house once or twice. The last few times I had him in the wrap he fussed so much I took him out. But I digress... every time I have worn him in the Moby, my chest has felt like it was bruised the next day! I mean OUCH. By chest I mean just above my breasts, although I wouldn't be surprised if there's technically breast tissue there (I'm a DD). Zane does like to have his hands by his face (I'm certain he did in utero too, and his face was bruised at birth we're guessing from his hands being up there by his cheeks) so when he's in the Moby he usually rests his face on his fists, so I'm thinking maybe it's his elbows that are causing the bruised feeling.

Anyone else experience anything like this?
#17 of 27 Old 11-29-2006, 04:58 PM

I"m totalln unfamilair with the Moby carrier. I'll have to look into that one.

I am currently using a ring sling - Over The Shoulder and a SlingEz by Parenting Concepts. I like the SlingEz best. The rings just hold firmer.

I can get dd in the sling and slide her behind be above my butt - in the small of my back, and get things done like wash dishes. It's not the most comfortable for me but it works. This baby likes to be held so I have to do what I have to do, especially with dh out of town.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#18 of 27 Old 11-29-2006, 05:19 PM

I have a mei tei, ringsling, a hotsling pouch and a moby. Hate the moby, mine is natural colored and I could have used it for halloween because I look mummified in it. The mei tei and hotsling are my favs. They hotsling wins out a bit more for ease of use. I can just plop him in and take him out. I think it's a slimming design as far as slings go, especially compared to my moby. I think dh is buying me a babyhawk mei tei for christmas. Oh and the hotsling is also his fave.
#19 of 27 Old 11-30-2006, 01:54 PM

I'd like to try another carrier; I'm thinking the Moby will be great once Zane can face front... I can't do the one-shouldered slings because of my back problems though.

My Moby is black so it doesn't seem to be mummifying
#20 of 27 Old 12-01-2006, 05:42 PM

Hotsling and ultimate baby wrap. DH prefers the Kozy, though.

How do you use your Ergo with a newborn? I have an Ergo and I love it but I don't want to risk putting a newbie in it.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#21 of 27 Old 12-01-2006, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

You can buy an infant insert for the Ergo on their website. It is reallly great, they lay in it facing you on an angle, my dh loves using it.
My Moby is black too and I wear a lot of black tops, people ask me if it's a shirt with a built in carrier.
#22 of 27 Old 12-01-2006, 08:01 PM

We never got the insert for the Ergo. I spoke to several people who said you can just fold up a cloth diaper or something similar and save the $25. DH has worn DS (who is 7 weeks today) in it several times. DS is about 13 lbs. now. We just put him in facing in and then put the hood up. Seems to have worked out okay -- well at least he hasn't fallen out yet.

#23 of 27 Old 12-02-2006, 10:51 AM

I have lots of slings but my favorite right now is a fleece pouch that fits me perfect and Maytal simply adores. Maytal needs to be held all the time and I wouldn't be able to do anything at all without that pouch. My arms and back get really tired if I just hold her all day without the pouch so I consider it my personal lifesaver right now. I'll have to dust off my Moby and see how she likes that too since it seems to be a hit with some of the other Oct babies!
#24 of 27 Old 12-04-2006, 01:20 AM

For us:
Didymos
Fleece Hotsling

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

#25 of 27 Old 12-04-2006, 04:01 PM

How did we live 4 weeks without the moby? I had been wearing Aislyn in a Bjorn, which was working fine but my problem is that in the cold weather her feet seemed to get chilly and it is not really made to wear her around the house when doing housework - I felt like every time I bent over she was going to fall out. Well, my moby arrived in this morning's mail - I LOVE IT!!!!! I have been wearing her all morning and we are both so happy. My wrapping job looks a bit sloppy but I'm sure I'll get better in time.

Five thumbs up for the moby!

For what its worth, I got it on ebay for $35, shipping included (the seller I bought from was lightning fast!- I ordered it on Friday)

\m/

#26 of 27 Old 12-05-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMama View Post
We never got the insert for the Ergo. I spoke to several people who said you can just fold up a cloth diaper or something similar and save the $25. DH has worn DS (who is 7 weeks today) in it several times. DS is about 13 lbs. now. We just put him in facing in and then put the hood up. Seems to have worked out okay -- well at least he hasn't fallen out yet.
How does it work to use a cloth diaper? I've never seen the infant insert so I am pretty clueless. I do have an Ergo but it is the older style, does that make a difference?

As far as other slings...I use my homemade mei tai on a pretty regular basis. When it's not stinking hot (I'm in Australia) I use my cheapy, no sew wrap...i.e. a piece of stretchy-ish fabric. It's orange and I look like some sort of monk wearing it but it really is the thing my daughter likes to be in best and it is amazingly comfortable. I have a ring sling and my daughter hates it.
#27 of 27 Old 12-11-2006, 11:08 AM

Ruthieroo - I'm thinking of ordering a Hugabug wrap from Sydney. Apparantly they are extremely comfy and never cause back or shoulder pain. I saw a lady wearing one the other day and it looked very secure - I approached her to ask about it ( I never usually do things like that!)

At the moment I have a snuggler pouch but it hurts my shoulders, gives me headaches. Isaac will sleep in it but I get the impression that he's not as comfortable as he could be.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page