cloth question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're using CD, except for at night and on longer outings. I've got the Bummi system. And I've found that they are very prone to leaking. Is that just the downside of cloth or are some brands better than others or are there special tricks I am not aware of? It's not a big deal, but I was just curious if I can save myself from doing quite as much laundry!
#2 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 09:13 PM

Can't help you with the bummis, but wanted to let you know that we use prefolds with wool or fleece covers and have never had a problem, even at night or long outings. Some of his blowouts cause a problem, but not yet with leaking.
#3 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 09:36 PM

Interesting because I'm thrilled with Bummis as it is the only one I can pretty much guarantee won't leak. However, that's if I'm doing the diapers - my husband hasn't quite mastered how to do it w/o leaking. I have to make sure that the prefolds are tight around the legs and then make sure that they are contained by the super whisper wrap (the only one I really like...I don't like the regular wraps by Bummis) - if even a little bit of the CPF is peeking out, then I get leaks.

I use them at night too, although it took a lot of courage to go from disposables to CDs at night. I change them only once, at about 2 am and then again at 5 am when we're up for the day. She doesn't seem to poop as much at night although she is fairly wet at 2...I feel badly but she sleeps until then so I'm not going to wake me and her up to just change a diaper.

Keep trying different ways to fold them in order to avoid leaks - and good luck! I use the newspaper fold (I think it's called?).
#4 of 11 Old 12-11-2006, 11:52 PM

We use a mixture of CD's, he's outgrown the Bummis we had and we haven't gotten anymore. We prefer Proraps with either a PF or a fitted. I have made my own fitted for him and they work pretty well with the Proraps. You may just need to try different ways to help prevent leaking.
#5 of 11 Old 12-12-2006, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab80 View Post
We use a mixture of CD's, he's outgrown the Bummis we had and we haven't gotten anymore. We prefer Proraps with either a PF or a fitted. I have made my own fitted for him and they work pretty well with the Proraps. You may just need to try different ways to help prevent leaking.
:

as cheap as they are, proraps have been the most leak free wraps we have ever used. plus it is an inexpensive way to do cloth...

I've put them over PFs and fitteds.

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

#6 of 11 Old 12-18-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomweaver View Post
:

as cheap as they are, proraps have been the most leak free wraps we have ever used. plus it is an inexpensive way to do cloth...

I've put them over PFs and fitteds.
i agree!!! proraps have worked the best for preventing leaks and i have a supersoaker
#7 of 11 Old 12-18-2006, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

I do have a couple hand-me-down proraps and they do work better than the bummis I got new! Figures, right? I better get some more proraps!
#8 of 11 Old 12-19-2006, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Bummis always leak with a prefold, but really do when I use a fitted. I prefer my other covers, a collection of WAHM made, and I also like the JamTots berry plush covers, never had a leak with them. I use fitted for our rare outing, and at night sometimes since I don't have to change them as often.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 11 Old 12-19-2006, 07:39 PM

Question: Are you tucking the prefold under that fromt flap on the Bummis covers? If so STOP! The flap is there to cover the stitching around the velcro and moisture wicks through if you tuck the diaper.

Also, I have used Bummis before with my daughter and NEVER had a leak. Now with the boys I find they sometimes leak in the front. I am pretty sure this is because of the way boys pee all in front. The pee doesn't have a chance to disperse very much before it starts to wick through any fabric that is not totally contained. I don't use them at night anymore, but they don't recommend the SWW for night use anyway.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#10 of 11 Old 12-20-2006, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

I do know not to tuck the prefolds into the flap. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I can't quite figure out what makes it leak sometimes, and not other times. But I think using more proraps might be the answer for me.
#11 of 11 Old 12-20-2006, 04:20 PM

It's funny, I always thought Bummis were AWFUL because mine leaked everywhere, they were absolute crap and I was s frustrated with them.
Then just recently I received two brand NEW bummis as a gift - and now I see what the problem was! Mine were old. So old they were completely obsolete. Were your bummis second hand? If they are, buy brand new ones - the difference is amazing. Now I love Bummis!!

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page