Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   October 2006 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/357-october-2006/)
-   -   back from the hospital (http://www.mothering.com/forum/357-october-2006/577160-back-hospital.html)

Peony 12-14-2006 07:04 PM

X-posted to Nov DDC

So as I've posted before my entire family has been battiling pertussis since DD2 was born. DH was one the one who brought it home, he was sick when Gabrielle was born, despite going to urgent care several times it wasn't dxed until dd1 got sick, and the rest of us followed. I knew DD2 was heading down hill last week, I spent the entire week nursing her nonstop trying to keep her hydrated because she would cough and throw up almost half of her feedings. She started getting lethargic over the weekend, followed by a fever, and then she stopped nursing all together. Poor thing is so tiny, she has been sick most of her life. Gabrielle was 6lbs 11ozs when born, and is barely 8.5 lbs now at 7 wks despite practically living at my breasts.

Anyway, DD2 was on an IV for 2 days to get her rehydrated, plus we discovered her O2 levels were really low. I had been taking her in the pedi office frequently to get her levels checked since we do live at 7,000 ft, they had always been fine there, but at the hospital she was hooked to sensors all the time. We found that her levels would drop way down, then come back up, repeat constantly, I think that at the pedi office we always checked her when her levels were ok not when they were dropping, I feel in hindsight that she could of used oxgen for at least that week before. Gabrielle came home on O2, I'm expecting that she will need it for a couple weeks.

So we got to come home last night because there is nothing else the hospital can do for her. We can't do anything for her cough, and it sounds awful. She just coughs, and coughs, and coughs until you are starting to get really worried, finally she'll be able to take one breath, and then starts coughing again. It's really nerve racking, I feel so bad for her, she gets so upset, it is just heartbreaking to watch.

The hospital stay wasn't that bad, it could of been worse. My pedi is really great and made sure I was able to co-sleep with DD2, which is against hopsital policy of course. : I had to sign all kinds of waivers, and deal with a few nurses who felt that I shouldn't be doing it in spite of it being" doctor's orders". The hospital couldn't give me a food tray since DD2 was the patient, but I couldn't leave her, which meant I had to beg people to bring me food. : My sister works across the medical complex so she was able to bring me carry-out on her way into work, DH would drop dinner off on his way home to DD1. DH has taken so much time off work with everyone being sick that he had to work while Gabrielle was in the hospital. My mom watched DD1 during the day, and DH would pick her up at night. It was just me sitting there holding DD2 the entire time with people dropping off food a couple times a day, that part really sucked.

I just feel so bad that I couldn't protect her. DD2 ws born at home, a beautiful water birth, then just a few short weeks later we are in the hospital with IV's and several blood draws every day. DD1 is taking it hard, she isn't upset at DD2, she blames me, which is better I guess but it's hard to hear your child say that she doesn't care if you come home or not.

soccermominsd 12-14-2006 07:56 PM

I am so sorry for all your are going through right now.

I can't imagine seeing your sweet babe suffer...Prayers & thoughts for your family & little one that you all will be healthy soon.

LavenderMae 12-14-2006 08:14 PM

I'm so sorry she has gotten so sick. I was so hoping it wouldn't get bad for her. Many healthy, healing vibes to her. And a huge hug to you.

deleria 12-14-2006 08:46 PM

Aww, mama, that really sucks. I hope your little one starts to feel a lot better soon. My little guy has just started 10 days of antibiotics at 9 weeks old due to suspected pneumonia. Normally I would give medication for suspected anything, but I don't like to take chances when they're this young.

I hate it when babies get sick. It just breaks your heart, doesn't it?

Lots of love

jule924 12-15-2006 06:18 PM

My little one spent his first week in NICU so I understand that part of it. I was still in-patient the first 2 days so it was a little easier on me. I'm glad to hear you're both home now and I hope the O2 along with mama's milk helps her heal fast and get stonger soon.

littleteapot 12-15-2006 10:03 PM

I'm so sorry.
I came down with pertussis as a baby (was vax'd, caught it from another vax'd kid while we were in the hospital at the same time). It resulted in pretty much exactly wh at you're describing with your babe, but I pulled through it just fine and so did the other child of the same age.

Hugs to you and yours.

Peony 12-16-2006 03:11 PM

Thanks for the support everyone. She has stopped nursing again so I'm attempting everything to get her to eat so we don't end up back in the hospital with another IV.

OMama 12-16-2006 11:30 PM

Wow -- what a difficult thing to be dealing with. My heart goes out to you. I hope all are very well soon. We were only in the hospital for a few hours when DS came down with his coughing and breathing problems. They think at this point it is just a really nasty cold virus and bronchiolitis, but last night was the 10th night and it was only slightly better. I felt the same way -- that we had had this beautiful homebirth and then there we were at the hospital. I wish you all the best. Hang in there. It is so difficult when they are seriously ill when they are so little. Having a sick child must be one of the worst things in the world -- that's what I've come to think at least.

ladybugchild77 12-17-2006 03:35 AM

Mama! So sorry you and your babe are dealing with this - sending healing vibes your way!!!

mamaverdi 12-17-2006 03:43 AM

Finding Serenity 12-17-2006 11:57 PM

I hope everything's going to work itself out for you all soon!! Lots of healing vibes to your sweet baby.

Momtezuma Tuatara 12-18-2006 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
DD1 is taking it hard, she isn't upset at DD2, she blames me, which is better I guess but it's hard to hear your child say that she doesn't care if you come home or not.
Funny that. Why isn't she blaming her father, since he's the one who brought it home?

I've posted again, to your other thread here,

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...91#post6785591

but I'm assuming you're in hospital again?

If not, let us know...

Peony 12-18-2006 12:40 PM

DD2 keeps refusing to nurse for hours and hours about every other day, it's been working out ok. She just nurses an insane amount on the other days.

I think that DD1 was upset because I took DD2 away, or that's how she sees it. She is really attached to her baby sister. The other day when DH and I were discussing the possibility of having to go back to the hospital, DD1 walked in and heard us, she started crying that she didn't want me to take DD2 away again.

Thanks MT, I updated the other thread.

swampwitch 12-18-2006 01:39 PM

Being in the hospital sucks and I hope you don't have to go back. I know how awful it is...my ds was in NICU for a week and those nurses really didn't know what to do with dh and me! I hope your little one pulls through. We'll be watching for a happy update and sending lots of healing, healthy vibes your way!