she won't stop crying **UPDATE BELOW!!** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-15-2007, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
soooooo tired. Don't know what to do. About to lose it. My hubby is away so I've been on my own for two days now (I give props to any moms doing it on their own out there full time....I am in AWE of you right now) and have two days to go. Caleigh started crying last night at 8 pm and she cried straight for two hours. She would slowly peter off and then start right back up again. She finally just fell asleep from exhaustion, I'm sure. I tried rocking, shushing, changing diapers, changing clothes, bathing her, feeding her...all attempts would just increase her wails.

She woke up multiple times last night and would feed but she was fussy and she would cry when frustrated.

Then this morning, after a half hour of blissful happiness she started to wail again.

Based on the "teething" post, I looked but I can't see anything so I don't think that is it. She is eating when she's hungry but when she's not, she is just soooo unhappy.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 01-15-2007, 12:36 PM

My first thought is gas. Have you tried rotating her legs? Or rubbing her back in circles? Warm bath with momma? Car ride? Sometimes just a change of scenery helps.

I have so been there.
#3 of 12 Old 01-15-2007, 12:51 PM

Does she seem sick at all? Have you taken her temperature? Any strange rashes or changes in her diapers? Sometimes (at least this is what I've heard) a hair can be wrapped around a finger or toe causing a baby to cry for extended periods so you might want to check out all her digits. Seems unlikely to me but you never know. Also is she overheated? Both my babes have cried a lot when they are too hot.

I was thinking it might be gas too. Does she stop crying after she poops or farts? Is she happier in one position or the other (i.e. upright vs. laying down)? Sometimes giving them a bath may help too. Most babies like it and it is a good distraction.

If she is literally crying non-stop I'd probably call my doctor too and talk to them. Most likely everything is fine and it is probably gas, but I'd check with the nurse over the phone.

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
#4 of 12 Old 01-15-2007, 02:14 PM

hugs to you! i am sure you will do everything to figure this out and try every trick, but my advise is to remind you that you need to take care of your well being too. remember to breathe, remember that you are a great mom, and i don't see an issue with having a glass of wine with breakfast..
#5 of 12 Old 01-15-2007, 02:52 PM

Sometimes DS cries for no apparent reason and it's because he is tired. When that's the case I get him either in a specific hold in my arms that helps him sleep or I wrap him in a blanket and keep the light low and he'll usually sleep within 20 min or so. Also I would check with your doctoer on this one but in case it's teething or some sort of pain, I don't think it's harmful to try giving Tylenol to see if that helps. If it does you'll have a better idea of what's going on.
#6 of 12 Old 01-15-2007, 02:58 PM

This might sound funny, but it has worked with all my little ones. When they would get fussy for no apparent reason and nothing else seemed to work I would turn on the vacuum and clean the rug. most of the time they would stop fussing within 15 minutes.
#7 of 12 Old 01-15-2007, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies for your advice. I think (I hope) I figured out what was wrong...read on if interested!

(C&P'D THE FOLLOWING FROM MY BLOG....)

This morning, I put her into a bath as that will sometimes calm her down. She cried through that. And then as I moved her from the bathroom to her changing table I heard the worst sound in the world. I thought that nothing could top the last 11 hours of crying but alas I was wrong. Suddenly the sound of explosive diarrhea could be heard, and felt as it ran down my arm and leg. It even splattered as it hit the floor. I literally stopped and just stared at the wall in front of me as it slowly sunk in that I was now covered in baby poop.

Luckily I hadn’t had my shower yet so once I cleaned her and the floor up, I was able to clean myself up too. Amazingly, she seemed to be a bit calmer at that point and she nursed for a solid 20 minutes. Fell asleep and then napped for a half hour. When she woke up, just to be on the safe side I figured I should change her diaper.

Off came the wet diaper. As I reached for the next diaper with my left hand, I lifted her legs up with my right hand. It was as though I had pulled a trigger. The explosion could once again be heard echoing throughout the room. She managed to squirt diarrhea three feet across the room and it splattered all over the wall and onto the carpet. It soaked her clothes, diaper cover, and changing table.

I didn’t think it was possible to have that much poop in such a little being. I’ve been proven wrong.

Tom, please come home.
#8 of 12 Old 01-15-2007, 05:46 PM

been there, just 2 days ago actually! But I was able to 'catch' it before it could splatter
#9 of 12 Old 01-15-2007, 05:49 PM

Hilarious!! I think I need a link to your blog, too. I'm a bit of a blogaholic.
#10 of 12 Old 01-15-2007, 07:53 PM

Oh dear, chaibaby! What a scene! Sounds like something has upset her tummy. Hope all the explosive poop is now done with. Way to go handling it all. You definitely need a little mini vacation when daddy returns home. You have certainly earned it!

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
#11 of 12 Old 01-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaibaby View Post
Thanks ladies for your advice. I think (I hope) I figured out what was wrong...read on if interested!

(C&P'D THE FOLLOWING FROM MY BLOG....)

This morning, I put her into a bath as that will sometimes calm her down. She cried through that. And then as I moved her from the bathroom to her changing table I heard the worst sound in the world. I thought that nothing could top the last 11 hours of crying but alas I was wrong. Suddenly the sound of explosive diarrhea could be heard, and felt as it ran down my arm and leg. It even splattered as it hit the floor. I literally stopped and just stared at the wall in front of me as it slowly sunk in that I was now covered in baby poop.

Luckily I hadn’t had my shower yet so once I cleaned her and the floor up, I was able to clean myself up too. Amazingly, she seemed to be a bit calmer at that point and she nursed for a solid 20 minutes. Fell asleep and then napped for a half hour. When she woke up, just to be on the safe side I figured I should change her diaper.

Off came the wet diaper. As I reached for the next diaper with my left hand, I lifted her legs up with my right hand. It was as though I had pulled a trigger. The explosion could once again be heard echoing throughout the room. She managed to squirt diarrhea three feet across the room and it splattered all over the wall and onto the carpet. It soaked her clothes, diaper cover, and changing table.

I didn’t think it was possible to have that much poop in such a little being. I’ve been proven wrong.

Tom, please come home.
I guess it's safe to say that you had a shitty day !
I'm glad that your little one is "out of gas" (as we joke about ours) and feels much better now .
#12 of 12 Old 01-16-2007, 02:44 PM

Yes, that was me last week - though he didn't shoot it across the room, mearly dropped onto the carpet!! I hope she's feeling better. It sounds like she may have had a little bug? Quentin has bad days, too sometimes and then he just snaps out of it

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page