Congested-Sounding Babies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-16-2007, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone else have a baby who is NOT sick but sometimes sounds sniffly and congested? If so, does it seem to be worse at certain times of the day, like night and early morning? Anything you do for them or do you think it is just "normal"? DS often sounds fine and then other times he seems really congested, but there isn't any mucous there. It just "sounds" like it. He's pretty happy otherwise! But he's not the world's best sleeper and I'm wondering if this is waking him up. I'm still just trying to figure out if anything is wrong . . . Thanks!

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
#2 of 13 Old 01-16-2007, 05:36 PM

Hi! Caleigh went through a week of congestion a few weeks ago. She sounded like a pug when she was breathing...poor thing. Anyhow, nothing else was wrong - no fever, red ears, runny eyes, etc. She was eating, pooping, urinating, and sleeping normally too.

I went to Kmart and bought "Little Noses". It's basically a sailne spray for kids that works for both congestion or for dry noses. It helps with congestion by making the baby's nose run. And then we just used the nasal aspirator to get whatever gunk was in her nose.

And, as a chiropractor, I was making sure she was adjusted regularly to help with clearing her nervous system. That always helps too!
#3 of 13 Old 01-16-2007, 08:51 PM

From what I have read, that could be a sign of a dairy allergy.
#4 of 13 Old 01-16-2007, 11:27 PM

Our whole family has had nasal problems since mid-December. We have a cool air and a warm air humidifier in our room running at night (seems to help quite a bit). We have tried sitting in the bathroom witih him letting the shower run on hot to steam up the room, that kind of helped. We stopped using the humidifiers for a about a week and all of the same problems came back, I think this cold weather is just drying us out!
#5 of 13 Old 01-17-2007, 12:06 AM

mica has had that very same congestion for a couple of weeks now, and at night it was difficult to breathe...
until his papa learned to roll him onto his side and hold him while sleeping, and all was well.
during the day i elevate his head while on his back and on his belly so that all miserable stuff can drain - unfortunately this adds to the spit up... but hey, as long as he can breathe, aye?
#6 of 13 Old 01-17-2007, 01:04 AM

Xan had that from birth for about two weeks, and then it came back recently. I noticed that it comes back when he has a growth spurt. It's related to my overactive letdown and his reflux. Milk goes way up into his nose. When he falls asleep on the breast sometimes I see milk drip out his nostril. Then it dries and gets goobery.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#7 of 13 Old 01-18-2007, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses!

We were supposed to go see the ENT again today but I guess she is "injured" or something and will be out until next week. I have another appointment with our ND this weekend for myself and Finn and hopefully she'll shed light on this. He was just so darn congested again today, but now he is sleeping like "a baby."

Our ped suggested a while back that it may have something to do with how big he is -- that he's got extra layers of fat on his air passages as well . . . hmmmm . . . I was kind of skeptical of that, but maybe . . . what do others think? For those of you who have congested babies, are they especially large? He is at least 17 lbs. if not more now and he is 3 months and 5 days old now.

I also have a very active let down and I know he gets A LOT of milk . . . I was sort of wondering if it could get "converted" to snot too as litttleteapot suggested. There is never much snot now and it is always white or clear.

#8 of 13 Old 01-20-2007, 05:47 PM

hi,
Nate's like this too most of the time. I thought it was because our place is dry but after running the humdifier for weeks with no change I think it's due to teething. He's cutting four teeth right now and is always a little stuffy. Any chance your guy has some teeth coming? Just throwing an idea out there. It definetely sounds like he's healthy and happy though!!!

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#9 of 13 Old 01-20-2007, 10:18 PM

Quentin has had that 5-6 times since his birth. He's never actually had cold symptoms except for that. I have been able to get out some snot with saline drops and a bulb syringe the times it really seemed to bother him and interrupt his sleep. I run the humidifier (sp?) every night, but I can't tell if it makes a difference. At the moment he does seem to have something in the back of his nose/throat, but it's not snot this time. ???

Oh - he's about 17 pounds, too, and is 3 mths adjusted age.
#10 of 13 Old 01-21-2007, 05:58 PM

I forgot to add that Nate is 15lbs and 4 months now (he came a month early) just for the weight factor that you're considering.

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#11 of 13 Old 01-22-2007, 11:16 PM

Hello! Sage had a little cold right before Christmas however he was totally happy , never had a runny nose and would sound fine UNTIL he would nurse then for a couple hours after he sounded all wet and mucousy and would cough. He sounded worse then he was. I also have a hard let down. I would also say possible milk that you are drinking is bothering him or a slight cold and the overactive letdown.

Is he tongue tied? That can make babies sound congestion because they sorta keep there tongue curled up.

take lots of omega 3s too.

Michele
#12 of 13 Old 01-30-2007, 09:57 PM

Hi my ds has had this congested sounding issue too, we had a wbv today and i asked the MW about it, she said sometimes larger babies (15 # 8 oz today) are being affected by too much sugar in mom's diet. She said of her many clients who elim sugar for a month even hidden sugars in breads and fruits saw the problem go away
#13 of 13 Old 01-31-2007, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeem View Post
Hi my ds has had this congested sounding issue too, we had a wbv today and i asked the MW about it, she said sometimes larger babies (15 # 8 oz today) are being affected by too much sugar in mom's diet. She said of her many clients who elim sugar for a month even hidden sugars in breads and fruits saw the problem go away
This is a new one. I hadn't heard that before but it is definitely worth giving it a shot. I eat little refined sugar but definitely have my fair share of "natural" sugars, especially with having eliminated so many other things. I'll give it a try -- thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page