Anyone NOT spreading the word? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-23-2006, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We haven't told anyone that we're expecting yet. My parents are coming to visit at the end of next month, so I thought it would be nice to tell them in person this time rather than over the phone.

Of course, if anything goes wrong, it will be nice to not have to un-inform everyone. I've never had to go through that, and I certainly wouldn't want to.

But still, on one hand, I would love to be sharing all the excitement with them. At the same time, though, I must admit that I am kind of enjoying the last few weeks and days of being the mother of only one child. It's like a little secret I'm enjoying keeping tucked close to my heart for a few more days.

Anyone else keeping the news to themselves for a bit?

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#2 of 24 Old 02-23-2006, 10:13 PM

We're not telling anyone yet, either, for exactly the same reasons!

We'll tell everyone at the end of March (my dad's bday is Mar 28 - we'll start then) except for my best friend.

I'm going to visit her Mar. 4, and I'll tell her then, 'cause I want to do it in person, and if (god forbid) something happens, it'll just be her and DH that know.

Writer, wife to a great DH, AP mama to one sweet boy 6/07 and expecting a girl in October!
#3 of 24 Old 02-23-2006, 11:28 PM

I've told friends, but not family. We're planning to tell family with a photo of DS wearing a "big brother" shirt. DH wants to wait until the end of the 1st trimester, but I don't think I can wait that long! Especially since I show early!

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#4 of 24 Old 02-24-2006, 12:47 AM

I already e-mailed close friends and family a picture of the positive digital test (with the "pregnant" reading in the results window).

I am actually pretty worried about something going wrong, but I guess I don't feel like I would want to keep a pregnancy loss from any of these people. I'd want their support. So I might as well have my fun and let them share in the excitement.

Mother of three and strong advocate of being KIND to each other. (No one is going to learn how to be a better mother by your telling her she makes you want to throw up.)
#5 of 24 Old 02-24-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I am actually pretty worried about something going wrong, but I guess I don't feel like I would want to keep a pregnancy loss from any of these people. I'd want their support. So I might as well have my fun and let them share in the excitement.
My thoughts are the same, Helen.

I have already told all family and a few close friends.

mama to 35 m/o Oscar and Matilda + 3 Harper, Quinn, & Averill
and a hopeful
#6 of 24 Old 02-24-2006, 10:10 AM

I'm hopping over from October.

I've selectively told a couple of people--mainly my support people who know my history and know I need support right now. We've had two losses and I'm not sure this one is going to stick. I woke up today and panicked because I wasn't feeling nauseous anymore. I've been feeling crummy all week with m/s.

I have not told my parents or any family (they'd think we were nuts anyway ). Honestly, the past couple of kids, we haven't told my family till I was at least 6 months along. I have this luxury because we live in another state, so I don't see them often. My mom is really judgemental (thinks everyone should only have 2 kids like she did : ) and my dad worries a lot about me . Better for both of them not to know for a while. Actually, dh is the one who always tells them, cuz I can't take the stress of it . Maybe we should just wait till the baby's born this time.

Wow, don't know how I got on that rant

Bottom line is that I'm not planning on telling people until I feel I'm somewhat safe.
#7 of 24 Old 02-24-2006, 10:44 AM

Another one hopping over from October. We've only told a few close friends. We're hoping to avoid telling family until we're well into the second trimester. That should be easy since most of them live out of state.

FIL and SMIL will be happy about the news, but they tend to hover and drive us nuts.

MIL won't care because my husband is her least favorite child and can do nothing right in her eyes.

My family thinks we're the worst parents ever, simply because we don't do things their way. I expect they will be outright hostile when they find out. When our daughter was born, they constantly interfered and made our lives miserable. My mother and sister called daily to scold me about what a terrible mother I was. When I stopped answering the phone, they showed up on my doorstep and yelled at me in person. They made false accusations of abuse against my husband. So for now, we're quite happy to keep the news to ourselves.
#8 of 24 Old 02-24-2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayathomecristi
I've selectively told a couple of people--mainly my support people who know my history and know I need support right now. We've had two losses and I'm not sure this one is going to stick. I woke up today and panicked because I wasn't feeling nauseous anymore. I've been feeling crummy all week with m/s.
I'm so sorry for your losses and hope soooo much that everything turns out well for you with this pregnancy. Please let us know how you're doing.

Mother of three and strong advocate of being KIND to each other. (No one is going to learn how to be a better mother by your telling her she makes you want to throw up.)
#9 of 24 Old 02-24-2006, 04:51 PM

We haven't told anyone (besides our kids) and we will probably tell friends soon but wait a bit on the family. I told feel like telling anyone who won't be happy hence why waitng on telling family (sad but true).

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#10 of 24 Old 02-24-2006, 05:53 PM

We got pregnant through IUI, so close friends and famliy knew were doing that and have been asking about results, so I have told my mom, step-mom (not my dad yet, ironically) and best friend - but that's it and probably will be it at least until I see a . I just miscarried in Dec. so that wound is still raw from having to un-inform everyone. I am super excited and super nervous and I just don't want to have to go throught it all again (and hopefully won't have to!)
#11 of 24 Old 02-25-2006, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We haven't told anyone yet, I will tell a good friend this weekend, but that's it for now. With dd, I wasn't comfortable telling anyone until 15 weeks, and DH and I were living with my parents while our house was being built. I won't go that long this time, I know I'll show alot earlier, but I'll wait a month or two depending on how long I can get away with it.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#12 of 24 Old 02-27-2006, 04:02 PM

I've told a few close friends (wasn't planning on it, but then when i found out i realzed that one of my good freinds and I are now due together, so i was ecited about that and had to tell her, LOL!)

We're not telling family till easter, hopefully we'll be able to keep it a secret that long. Considering this is my 4th, I dn't think my belly will be able to keep the secret that long, LOL. I couldn't get my jeans buttoned this morning!!! But, with all the preterm and bedrest issues we have, I really just want to avoid hearing "ow could you do that again?" a hundred times. besides the fact that my mom now tells me almost every time we talk that "you're done, right? You're nuts if you have more kids!" So she'll be thrilled (NOT!) We told early with the others, so I'm relishing the idea of keeing this to ourselves for a while. it's going to be hard keeping it a secret for the boys, especially my oldest cause he's very observant and will notice when I'm in teh bathroom vomiting every day, LOL But we want to keep it from there for two reasons, first becuase they'll blab to everyone else and second becuase the older two will talk incessantly about it and ask a gazillion questions, and honestly, I don't wnat to be thinking about it all that much yet, I want to stay low key about it all for a while.
#13 of 24 Old 02-27-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade
second becuase the older two will talk incessantly about it and ask a gazillion questions
This is soooo true. My dd (almost 9) ask questions about the baby all day long. I have to keep reminding her we aren't telling anyone yet so she needs to remember to keep it a surprise. I really hope she doesn't slip say something around her Nana (my mom) because I am just not ready for her negativity yet.

Oh and Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#14 of 24 Old 02-28-2006, 09:12 PM

So I'm 5 weeks today, and I had 2 people ask me today if I was pg! None of my pants fit, somehow I don't think I'm going to get away with not telling people.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#15 of 24 Old 03-02-2006, 04:34 PM

I've called my friends but am hesitant to tell mom as I am an only and it is doubtful that she will "get it". I love being a mama and DH and I are thrilled. How can I get over my worry about telling family?
#16 of 24 Old 03-02-2006, 05:12 PM

within ten min. of knowing I had told 3 people, DH, and two best friends. Heck i even told my dogs and cats to expect a little brother or sister.

I found out yesterday, after two tests that said no and being like 2 weeks late form my period the third test finally panned out. I have a confirmation appt tomorrow with DR.)

I was planning to keep secret form my wonderful sister so I could surprise her with something in the mail, BUT I called her this morning and told her. I am not going to tell my Parents until April. I will be about 11 weeks when my mom comes to visit me I cant wait to tell her in person. We will call my dad that day and DH mom also. His dad passed away in April. We are giving the baby his dads name for a middle name.

We had been trying since September. I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!

First baby for me.

I am so happy to have you all to talk to.

Kim, mama to Anna Blair 11/23/07
#17 of 24 Old 03-03-2006, 09:58 PM

ive told my df (were getting married in 3 months..eeek) my cousin, and a few friends.. we havent even told people were getting married yet (we got engaged a few weeks ago).. so now we get to tell them both. LOL

im waiting to tell my kids for a month i think... i think..

i have loose lips though, and want to tell everyone.. now!
#18 of 24 Old 03-04-2006, 12:18 AM

Well, DH was the one who confirmed that there were two lines on the test, so he knows! I told two girlfriends (one of them told her husband, which is fine), and DH told his office mate.

Then tonight, we told DD. It was like she *knew* - for the past two weeks she's been talking about "my baby" - "I'll hold my baby and rock my baby" and one of her preschool teachers even asked me if I was pregnant because of the way DD had been talking - I told her no, because at that time I didn't think I was! We told DD that she couldn't tell anyone, but we'll see how long that lasts, she's so excited. Of course, I might regret having told her if I end up with bruises on my belly from her pokey little finger looking for "her" baby!

Mama to DD : (7/23/03) & DS : (10/27/06) married to DH 7/20/01
and yet 90% more mainstream than the rest of MDC
#19 of 24 Old 03-04-2006, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen White
I'm so sorry for your losses and hope soooo much that everything turns out well for you with this pregnancy. Please let us know how you're doing.
Thanks, Helen. So far, so good. I think I *may* have to tell my parents as I'm going for a visit soon (they live in another state). Usually dh tells them when I'm about 6 months, but I'm already popping out and I'm not sure I can hide it. Oh well, they'll have to get over it, won't they?
#20 of 24 Old 03-06-2006, 03:41 AM

We haven't told anyone yet (of course I know a few people on this site so they might find out... ). Dh's family will be thrilled, I think, but I am in no rush to tell anyone 'til I pass the 12 week mark. My Mom will be upset, as she was last time. Especially since she has been trying to get me to space my kids way further apart than we want to. She thinks I am going to rob my daughter of her babyhood if we have another baby while she is this young...
#21 of 24 Old 03-06-2006, 11:37 AM

we spent the weekend with df's parents (his mom works as a nurse in the baby/mother center in another state) and we just told them we are getting married (we actually had the place booked before we even got PG!) .. and he didnt want to break two big pieces of news in with them at once. LOL

I dont see the point in waiting with them, but eh.

I will prolly tell my sister and dad this week as they seem to think im hiding it if i dont tell them ASAP.
#22 of 24 Old 03-07-2006, 07:38 PM

We told our parents and my best friend. My husband is a pastor, though, and we're not telling his congregations for a couple months. Last time around, I was SOOOO SICK that we ended up telling them at about 9 weeks... this time, so far so good... so I'd like to hold off sometime second trimester.
#23 of 24 Old 03-08-2006, 12:12 PM

I'm waiting. I've told one good friend, she's due within a month of me, and lives on the other side of the continent now, so we felt safe in telling each other, knowing that it wouldn't get around I haven't told dh yet, though I have been telling him I think I might be (I just tested yesterday).

Luckily, we just moved, and so even though I think I'm popping already, I don't think most people we will meet will realize that it isn't my normal figure

We'll probably wait until at least the end of the first tri. to tell anyone. My SIL is due late in June. I'm trying to figure out if it would be better to announce it before or after her baby is born... she's such a sweetheart, I'm sure she wouldn't feel like we were "stealing her thunder," but still. Besides, this is baby #4 for us, and we have both genders already, so there's very little excitement left, right? ILs will be happy for us -- my dh is kid #6 of 7 kids; one of his sister just had #4, and his other sister will have 5 soon -- but I'm *terrified* of telling my family. One set of my grandparents had 6 kids... everyone else since then has had three at most, and most of them had 2. I will probably tell a couple of more close friends. My problem, as others have said, will be my older kids. My oldest is 6, and they came with me to midwife appointments before... I'm pretty sure he would remember them, and if he's in the room with me while I'm talking to the mw... it wasn't an issue with the last pregnancy, because dh was working a shift that let him take me to the appointment and go for a walk with the boys for the first half of the pregnancy But now, he's got a regular old 9-5 job, and I'm not sure what to do. He has just started, I don't know how easy it would be for him to schedule a morning off.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#24 of 24 Old 03-08-2006, 12:30 PM

I have told one friend so far and my baby's father was there when I did two pregnancy tests. On Friday, I am getting together with another friend and sharing the news. I have decided to wait to tell anyone else based on what I have read. I would find it so hard to 'un-tell'.

My parents are going to be very upset with the news so I want to know for sure that everything will be okay. (I am scared to tell them too.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page