I need help w/ social/work situation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-02-2006, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so i'm 5 wks preg. and am keeping mum about it except for close close family (parents and sister). I am especially keeping mum about it at work (I'm a lawyer and if you watched Sex & the City you recall that being pregnant at a law firm is like having the plague)...Any how, my firm is having a happy hour soon and I don't know what to do. If I don't drink I'll be grilled about it (especially given the drinking tendencies of my lush boss and coworkers). I always go to the happy hours so if I don't go that would also be strange and elicit a lot of questions. What should I do!?! HELP.
#2 of 8 Old 03-02-2006, 07:51 PM

Hopping in from the June DDC.

DH and I went to a family wedding before we were ready to tell anyone. He has a lot of cousins our age, all pretty into partying. I made sure to order my drinks at the bar when no one else was in ear-shot (or to "graciously" be last in line), and everything I ordered looked like it could be alcoholic -- Shirley Temples, Rob Roys, non-alcoholic beer, etc. (For the record, if you're queasy, Shirley Temples sit much better on the stomach than fake beer!!!)
#3 of 8 Old 03-02-2006, 08:01 PM

yep, I'd say either do virgin drinks, or tell anyone who is rude enough to ask that you're on antibiotics and can't drink while you take them.
#4 of 8 Old 03-02-2006, 08:16 PM

If you are really stuck order an alcholic drink and "accidently" spill it a few min later. I have used this trick when I was TTC and not sure if I was prego yet. Then you have to go to bar alone to get another. Waste of money, but avoids questions

Kim, mama to Anna Blair 11/23/07
#5 of 8 Old 03-02-2006, 09:21 PM

LOL, could you tell them you are still drunk from lunch? Seriously though, I would just respond with something kind... I"m not feeling so well, On medication, My new diet doesn't allow it (most low carbies don't, and that is kinda true, right?) whatever. IF that doesn't work, I'd get snarky and be like "what's it to ya? Why do you care what I drink? I'm not grilling you about your diet!"

hh2.gif

#6 of 8 Old 03-03-2006, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Now I have a whole arsenal of excuses to choose from.
#7 of 8 Old 03-03-2006, 12:46 PM

Well, since I'm Catholic, I'm using the "I gave up booze for Lent" excuse. No one ever questions that! But yeah, tonic water and lime looks a lot like a vodka tonic. You could also use "I'm driving" as a reason.

Mama to DD : (7/23/03) & DS : (10/27/06) married to DH 7/20/01
and yet 90% more mainstream than the rest of MDC
#8 of 8 Old 03-03-2006, 09:40 PM

thanks! this will help me also as we arent telling anyone yet, and going to spend saturday night at my soon to be BIL's.. where we always drink quite a bit.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page