Early glucose tolerance test? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2006, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I've switched to a different practice than the one I used for my last two pgs, and I was surprised that they're already wanting me to take a glucose tolerance test at not quite 7 weeks. I've never been diagnosed with gestational diabetes (or any other form of diabetes!), but apparently this practice automatically gives very early tests to all overweight moms and moms who've previously given birth to large babies (mine were 10lbs 10oz and 9lbs 4oz). How common is this?

Mother of three and strong advocate of being KIND to each other. (No one is going to learn how to be a better mother by your telling her she makes you want to throw up.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2006, 02:43 PM

Wow, that sounds just crazy to me!! I don't think I would take it (I just don't see how putting a big sugar load on yourself can be good for your body). I was diagnosed GD with my first pregnancy. Rather than having me take any GT test at all I just monitored myself throughout my last pregnancy (and will do the same this time). I never had to go for the test that I (probably) would have failed miserably anyways, and it had the added bonus of never getting me officially labeled GD (saved my little girl some heel sticks immediately after birth). If they're concerned (and YOU are concerned) maybe you should offer to monitor yourself for a few days or a week to see what your blood sugar is REALLY doing.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleOne03
Wow, that sounds just crazy to me!! I don't think I would take it (I just don't see how putting a big sugar load on yourself can be good for your body). I was diagnosed GD with my first pregnancy. Rather than having me take any GT test at all I just monitored myself throughout my last pregnancy (and will do the same this time). I never had to go for the test that I (probably) would have failed miserably anyways, and it had the added bonus of never getting me officially labeled GD (saved my little girl some heel sticks immediately after birth). If they're concerned (and YOU are concerned) maybe you should offer to monitor yourself for a few days or a week to see what your blood sugar is REALLY doing.
They cant make you take any kind of test if you refuse.

One of the luckiest woman in the world! luxlove.gif

Old 03-12-2006, 06:47 PM

ask instead for a monitor and just monitor your own blood sugar. that's what I am going to do this time. I "supposedly" had gd last time ( I testd 166 after 2 hours and they wanted 160 - sent me to a dietician and all such nonsense - I never did what they told me, but I did monitor my sugars for the rest of the pregnancy and they were normal. The GTT isn't very accurate as no one ever takes in that much glucose at once!) That way you'll know if you need to go on a diabetic diet without the GTT.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:47 PM

ask instead for a monitor and just monitor your own blood sugar. that's what I am going to do this time. I "supposedly" had gd last time ( I testd 166 after 2 hours and they wanted 160 - sent me to a dietician and all such nonsense - I never did what they told me, but I did monitor my sugars for the rest of the pregnancy and they were normal. The GTT isn't very accurate as no one ever takes in that much glucose at once!) That way you'll know if you need to go on a diabetic diet without the GTT.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:47 AM

I had a small baby and am not hugely overweight, but I do believe that glucose levels is something they check in the initial bloodtest in order to get a baseline. I was supposed to go to the lab to get my blood drawn Friday but I didn't feel up to it so I will be doing it today. I just eat normal and they get baselines on everything, including iron, pregnancy hormones, etc.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)

User Tag List