Mothering Forum banner

Morning Sickness Relief?

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  sehbub 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I think I posted a little over a week ago concerned because I wasn't sick yet. Apparently a lot can change in one week because I now feel quite ill. I am thinking of ordering some preggie pops to see if that helps. Is anyone else feeling sick? Any advice?

#2 ·
Not yet (thankfully), but it was awful last time. The best thing for me was peppermint (the candies and the tea) - even just the smell of it.

My best friend is due in a couple weeks, and I sent her the preggie pop drops when hers was bad - she said they worked great for her! If I have to try something this time, I'm going to try them myself - they weren't sold anywhere in my state last time.

#3 ·
I'm not pregnant right now (knock wood) but saw your thread and wanted to share. I was sick for nine months with all three kids and the only thing that helped was Earth Mama Angel Baby Morning Wellness tea. I would sip it all day, hot or cold, and also make ice cubes from it to suck. You can find here (among other places):
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp143166_3...llness_tea.htm

Hope you feel better soon!

#4 ·
it ahsn't hit me terribly this go round (yet) but with my three boys it was terrible! Seabands (the accupressure braceletes) worked decently, as did peppermint. I've heard fabulous things about ume plum balls, so maybe try them, too. This time, I've been taking Premesis prenatal vitamins and they have extra vitamin b6. With my first, I got b6 injections in my fanny once a week, and for the first 3 days after that, I was totally fine, then the sickness would creep back. The vitamins seem to be doing a decent job of holding back the tide now

#5 ·
Oh good luck! Hopfully you can stick it out and it will let up when the second trimester starts! Unfortunately I waited for that to happen this time (it did with my first 2), but it hasn't, and I was so sick I was basically bedridden for 6 weeks. At 15 weeks I finally gave in and started taking a drug for it. Not that I recommend doing that, but if it doesn't let up, there are options.

- krista

#6 ·
I had it really bad last time, and it looks like that's where I'm headed this time as well. For the most part, I'm still experiencing just the "reassuring carsickness" feeling, but yesterday afternoon it moved towards "debilitating pukiness" for a couple of hours. Eating small meals frequently does help. Last time, I realized that if I waited too long to eat (too long could sometimes mean 1/2 an hour from the last time I ate), then when I *did* eat, I would throw up. Then I'd have to very quickly eat something else because after each time I puked, I'd have about a 15-minute window of feeling okay, and I'd need to eat in that window or else I'd throw up again. Discover which foods are easiest for you to eat without gagging, and quickly. Legend has it that crackers work well, but I find it makes more sense to eat a little protein if you can. Maybe a piece of cheese, or meat, or some protein smoothie.

What ultimately saved me last time was acupuncture. It didn't make me stop puking, but it got rid of the 24-hour nausea, which was acutally more debilitating than the throwing up. I'm having my first session tomorrow, I'll be 5 weeks pregnant.

Remember that "morning" sickness is a very good sign of a healthy pregnancy and a sticky baby. It helped me to remind myself of that each time I'd be hanging over the toilet. I was so sick that I could kind of forget what the point of all of it was, but picturing the little babies inside of me made it all feel worth it.

Hang in there!

Lex

#7 ·
protein, protein, protein! atleast 80 to 100 grams a day really helps me. if i don't get enough protein i can't keep anything down, not even water. so start your day out with a lot of protein and keep it coming.

keeping something in my mouth helps too (mints or whatever) as does just eating constantly. i lost 25+ pounds with my first, and only 12 with my second after starting to eat a lot of protein, and if i didn't get enough one day it really showed. it didn't make me 100% better but it really helps a lot.

#9 ·
Wow, it looks like I am not alone. I just had a steak, potato, and spinach salad dinner tonight and so far it seems to have helped. I also bought some organic lollipops at Whole Foods today. They didn't really work. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

#11 ·
I'm in the June due date club, but I just saw the thread and wanted to add my two cents.

The only thing that helped me (and I tried it ALL) was to keep a tin of Altoids beside my bed, and before I even sat up in the morning, I would suck on one. That at least helped for a while. Chewing minty gum (again, Altoids) helped as well. "Normal" peppermint didn't work for me..I had to have the strong stuff!

Good luck, mama! Hope it's over soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.