Anyone else going unassisted? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-18-2006, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found out that I was preggo a few days ago and called the birthing center where I gave birth to my ds's.... There are only a few birthing centers in Quebec and the demand is way more then they can handle. Though I moved when I was pregnant with ds#2 I still gave birth there.. However, this time they can't take me (if I was closer I would have been taken imediately seeing I have already given birth there)
I was given the number for an equally far birthing center with a smaller waiting list but I won't find out until after 20 weeks and was told not to get my hopes up.:

Because birthing with a doctor is completly out of the question and I already loved the idea of an unassisted pregancy and birth. I decided that unassisted is my best option and the option that will be the less worrisom and best for me and the baby.

Anyone else going unassisted throughout the pregnancy?

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#2 of 12 Old 03-18-2006, 07:34 PM

I would like too. DH is not comfortable with that right now since finding out that I am pregnant.

He wants a hospital birth. I want an UC. I am trying to compromise with an unhindered midwife homebirth.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#3 of 12 Old 03-18-2006, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am very much ok with a UP, DH is ok with a UP but not when it comes time for the actual birth. I'm one of those that say, "it's my body and I will birth where I want to." however I'm not sure if I'm up for giving birth while walking DH during the entire process. DH is well, he's is one of those those very highly stressed people who freak about about everything. He drives me completely nuts when dd is sick because he is having a panic attack every 2 seconds. He is fine with a homebirth, I'm looking at going that route, but my area only has only option and contacting her has proven to be impossible. If I am unable to find a MW that fits my needs then UP it is, and maybe I just won't tell DH when I go into labor, and send him and DD out.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 12 Old 03-18-2006, 09:11 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've thought about it. Honestly, I'll plan for one anyways cause my midwife lives far enough away and my last birth was so fast, she may not make it here.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#5 of 12 Old 03-18-2006, 11:38 PM

Hugs, paxye. That must have been rough to be turned away. No fun. When I complain about how we need more midwives in our area, my dh always says I should become one. I, however am not sure about that.... although I LOVE birth.

We'll do our birth at the same center we had dd. The midwife has backup by all the dr's there and she's lovely. The corner of the little hospital (this is small town mn) where the birthing rooms are is very nice. Big tubs for water birth and room for family. I know the homebirth midwife and I like her, too, but our insurance will cover the birth with the other midwife, so I'll go for that.

Goodness, I'm still getting used to the idea of being pg. Do you all go in right away to your midwife/dr? I waited until 10-12 weeks or so w/dd.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#6 of 12 Old 03-18-2006, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I plan to use a midwife if I go full term (last preg completed at 29 weeks 4 days), but since my last birth was only 2.5 hours as a first time mom, I do plan to be prepared for the possibility of being unassisted just because the midwife lives 1 hour from the birth house (I'm only 15 minutes from it, so plan to go up at first contraction!). I don't think I'll be quicker than 2.5 hours this time, but you never know! My mom had me in 1.5 hours, but I was a third chld.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#7 of 12 Old 03-19-2006, 03:26 AM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
midwestmeg- I don't plan on going in till 10-12 weeks either. I just don't see the point. Last pg, I went in at 12 weeks.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#8 of 12 Old 03-19-2006, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

We have to call the midwife the minute we find out... they get 1600 applications a year and can only take about 300 so you have to be quick....
but the first appt is only at 12 weeks, (8 weeks for a first child)...

Anyways... besides for maybe at birth is anyone going unassisted throughout the pregnancy also?

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#9 of 12 Old 03-19-2006, 02:08 PM

I would love to go unassisted, but dh is completley against it (I feel like I am banging my head on a wall talking to him about it - trying to convince him birth is naturally and a lot older than the AMA)....but I feel that without his support I won't be able to comfortably do it, so we are trying to come to a compromise - but having a step mom who is an OB makes that decision even harder! For those who go unassisted, i can't wait to hear the birth stories!!
#10 of 12 Old 03-19-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxye
Anyways... besides for maybe at birth is anyone going unassisted throughout the pregnancy also?
I may be.

I went unassisted until 32 weeks last pregnancy.

A friend of mine did do un ultrasound at 20 weeks to calm my nerves, everyone started getting me worked up about going unassisted pregnancy. I delivered in a hospital with a midwife though.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#11 of 12 Old 03-19-2006, 07:42 PM

We are planning on having an UC. I will get prenatal care with a midwife but I won't start that until the second trimester.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#12 of 12 Old 03-20-2006, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad
midwestmeg- I don't plan on going in till 10-12 weeks either. I just don't see the point. Last pg, I went in at 12 weeks.
That's what I think! Thanks for the reply. meg

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page