Loose Herbs for Teas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-25-2006, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought a ton of RRL for my last pregnancy and did the infusion thing (let it steep overnight, drink it throughout the next day).

While I was picking some up today, I saw they had an herbal morning sickness relief capsule, so I looked at the ingredients (RRL, nettles, and milk thistle). So I picked up some of each in the loose herbs and figure I'll just make my own tea blend and stick with that throughout pregnancy (I know that nettles are supposed to be good for vitamin K, and since we choose to waive the shot, I'd like to try upping my own intake toward the end of pregnancy).

Anyway, I'm getting long winded and do actually have a question. I had never seen milk thistle before today. Unlike the "leafy mulch" of RRL and nettles, it's more a cross between rice and unpopped popcorn. Do I just put a spoon of that into the jar to steep, or do I have to break/grind it first? Does anyone know?

Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 03-25-2006, 10:53 AM

i dont knwo if they steep well whole or not. i have never actually checked that one out. my DW is usually the one to make our teas and she just puts them in a tea towel and gives them a bit of a bang with a meat mallet to break them up abit before putting them in.

would you like a good recipie for a pregnancy tea? i have two good ones ones for the am and ones for the pm they are really yummy if you want to try something different one day. i'd be more than happy to post them. its really great to meet someone who makes their own teas. so many people look at me like i am a freak and say "you do know there is this little invention called a tea bag" makes me want to punch them somedays.

well let me know if you want the recipie

peace out
Dimity
#3 of 6 Old 03-25-2006, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

I would love a recipe! I only did loose RRL last time, but I'm very interested in the health benefits of other herbs. Thank you!

I had a feeling they wouldn't steep well whole - thanks!
#4 of 6 Old 03-26-2006, 10:12 AM

here are the recipies for you.

i got these recipies from my midwife whos also a homeopath. i have added what good things they have in them for you. we drink this tea in place of any prenatal vitamins so if your taking a prenatal you may get to many vitamins which can be just as harmful as too little. so it would be best to either drink the tea or take the prenatal but not both (this is what our midwife has told us)

A.M. pregnancy tea

2 cup red raspberry leaf (uterine tonic, iron, calcium, potassium, b, c, + e)
2 cup china white spring blossom white tea (anti-oxidants + a wee bit of caffeine)
1 1/2 cup nettle (supports kidney function, prevents hemorrhoids, high in iron, potassium, vit k)
1 cup dandelion (rich in sodium, vitamin a, b, + c, potassium , and calcium, diuretic, digestive aid)
1 cup lemongrass (calming, indigestion)
1 cup lemon balm ( relaxant, antispasmodic, increases sweating, carminative, anti-viral, nerve tonic)
1/2 cup marsh mallow (soothing, anti-inflammatory)

P.M. Pregnancy tea

4 cups chamomile (normalizes appetite, and eliminates insomnia. calms nerves, relieves headaches, soothes the digestive system and women's cramps)
2 cup red raspberry leaf ( uterine tonic, iron, calcium, potassium, b, c, + e)
2 cup lemon balm ( relaxant, antispasmodic, increases sweating, carminative, anti-viral, nerve tonic)
2 cup lemongrass (calming, indigestion))
1 1/2 cup nettle (supports kidney function, prevents hemorrhoids, high in iron, potassium, vitamin k)
1 cup marsh mallow (soothing, anti-inflammatory, and laxative)
1 cup dandelion (rich in sodium, vitamin a, b, + c, potassium , and calcium, diuretic, digestive aid)

i will also sometimes add fresh ginger(stimulant, aids digestion, calms stomach) which really helps my morning sickness. i dont add the ginger when i steep i usually add it grated just as i am about to drink it, make sure its grated really finely. but i have made the tea where i have added hunks of ginger in to steep with everything else i just prefer to add it at the last minute to add abit of freshness to the tea and a good kick when i add too much

our midwife recommends drinking at least 1-2 cups of the am tea every morning. and the same of the pm tea in the evening.

i steep these tea's at the least overnight but we both often forget about them and sometimes they can sit there for close to 24hours before we remember. i usually just drink the tea heated up and sometimes i will add a little raw organic honey to sweeten if i feel like a sweet drink. but my DW does some different things with her tea. when its cold my DW warms it up and adds some organic rice milk (or any milk that you prefer) and when its warm weather she will add a few ice cubes and make it like an iced tea

hope you enjoy them

Dimity
#5 of 6 Old 03-26-2006, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Dimity! I'm going to pull bits and pieces from the "recipe" and make my own blend (because I am taking a prenatal vitamin that works well for me - I've been on it since before my son was conceived).

Also, can you give me the "definition" of milk thistle? Like, you have RRL (uterine tonic, iron, calcium, potassium, b, c, + e) - what would be in the () for milk thistle? Or do you know where I can look that information up myself?

Again, thanks so much!
#6 of 6 Old 03-26-2006, 11:07 PM

yep i do know the answer to that one
it helps supports good liver function during pregnancy or any stage of life and it has tons of antioxidants to help keep the body healthy. it is also been known to help reduce symptoms of exzema and psoriasis if taken regularly. it also can be helpful for jaundice so if you are going to be breastfeeding it can help to drink tea with alot of milk thistle in it as it can pass through the breastmilk and help prevent jaundice in your baby.
so its little () would be (supports liver function, antioxidants, anti-psoriasis,helps prevent jaundice) thats taken directly from the notes my midwife has given me.

here is another extract i managed to find online.
________

Milk thistle is believed to have protective effects on the liver and improve its function. It is typically used to treat liver cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis (liver inflammation), and gallbladder disorders. Treatment claims also include:

* Lowering cholesterol levels
* Reducing insulin resistance in people with type 2 diabetes who also have cirrhosis
* Reducing the growth of cancer cells in breast, cervical, and prostate cancers

i called my midwife and asked and she said that it can really help lower cholesterol as well as the things in the notes she gave me, but she hasnt hear of the reducing growth of cancer cells so she is going to look it up and let me know.

hope this helps
dimity

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page