Mothering Forum banner

Homebirth after 3 hospital/epidural births?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Mrs_Hos 
#1 ·
Hi,

I was looking forward to having a home birth this time around. I called some midwifes and they came out for a consultation. The one thing that is keeping me from calling them to schedule and appointment is the fact that I was kind of made to feel that since I had epidurals in the past that I didn't know what I was getting myself into by choosing a home birth this time. I even told them that I am pretty sure with my last DD they turned the epidural off when it came time for delivery (because I felt that delivery, but not the other two.)

I mean they didn't really come right out and say it, but that was the impression I was getting. When I asked about a water birth I was told that it was just a coping mechanism for the pain. Then they suggested classes they have that help you "cope" with the pain. It has really made me sit back and think, "is this really what I want?"

My reasons for wanting a home birth:

I hate hospitals, I can't stand they way they tell me how to take care of my children, (hello I have had a few before!)
I don't want to be pressured/forced into any vaccines
They cost an arm and a leg for all that bossing around they do.
With my other children, because my water broke, I was not allowed to do anything but lay in bed the whole time.
After my last DD was born I was IMMEDIATELY whisked to another room (they needed the birthing room for someone else, no time was given to recoup AT ALL) I was forced to share that room with someone else and was unable to get ANY SLEEP at all.
Showers were down the hall and you had to share with the entire ward. (ewww.)

Anyway the most stressful part of my last birth was the hospital stay afterwords. Granted I did leave 12 hours after the birth, (the wouldn't allow me to leave any sooner.
: ) but I just don't think I could take that again.

There is also the fact that we don't have any insurance and a home birth would cost a lot less. But now I am doubting my ability to be able to handle it without pain medication. (Even though I now know it's not good for the baby and don't want any.)

So, has anyone had an epidural previously and gone on to home birth, or even just have a natural birth the next time? I guess I just need some reassurance that I can do this since everyone else is making me feel like I can't.

Thanks for your advice,

See less See more
#2 ·
My first 4 children were epidural / hospital births and my next two deliveries were homebirths. I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to handle the pain, but I took Bradley and Hypnobirthing to prepare, and had a water birth, and honestly, the thought of an epidural never once entered my mind. Women have been doing this for centuries; you certainly can do it!

#3 ·
I had two induced/epidural births.

With #3, I had a midwife at the hospital and NO interventions!

You can do it! Read alot. Be educated about positions and relaxation techniques. Trust your body.

I will be having a homebirth this time either UC or unhindered with a midwife.

#4 ·
You can so do it!! Having a baby in the hospital environment is so different than being in your own home. Your body works better in your own environment. I feel strongly that because of your comfort level at home the pain isn't as intense, at least this is my experience. I think being only around people you know makes a huge difference too. Again you can do it, you were designed to do it!!!!!!!!!!
My biggest advice to you is listen to your intuition and TRUST your body!!!

Heather

#5 ·
While I haven't had an epidural birth (just a drug-free hospital birth), I will say YOU CAN DO IT.
With a midwife there to support you and give you ideas on how to "cope" (and yes we all have to "cope", whether we've had an epi in the past or not!), I think you'll be more likely to be successful than if you were in a hospital with the drugs being pushed on you. Also, I think it is a good idea to take a class in natural childbirth "coping" methods so you are somewhat prepared. Bradley is great. I only had 1 class, then a crash course the afternoon that I went into labor, since my boy was coming very very early. But even the one class was helpful! And when the nurse asked me if I wanted drugs, my husband said no for me, and that helped me as well - it was harder for me to change my mind, since I was in transition and at the question stage of "Can I do it?". Next time, if I'm in the hospital, I plan to have it stated up front that they are NOT to ask me if I want drugs - if I wanted them, I'd ask for them! And I think alot of women would go much longer without drugs if the nurses weren't there asking them if they wanted drugs, KWIM?

But yes, you absolutely can do it.

#6 ·
Thanks for the peptalk everyone.
I knew I could do it, I just kinda started doupting myself when I felt like they thought I didn't know what I was getting into.. Ya know? Maybe I should call a different midwife for a consultation. It's not that I didn't like these ones, I just kinda got a "you dont know what your getting into vibe." I dunno. Maybe I am just imagining the whole thing.
Thanks again

#8 ·
I did call another midwife last night. Not only is she only 15 minutes away verse 45 (which could be 1.5 in bad rush hour traffic) but I got such better vibes with just a short phone call. She is coming out Sat. for a consultation.

We will see how things go this time. Thanks again everyone.

#9 ·
That's great! It's really important that you feel comfortable with your care provider - midwife or OB. Good for you following your instincts on the others and holding out for what might be the right one for you!

#10 ·
The bottom line is believe in yourself!

And think of this...at home, you can labor on the floor and get into all kinds of positions...at the hospital, I would never get on the floor...and I can't imagine some of these positions on that tiny bed with plastic under the sheets...hated that plastic...I was sweating and slipping...ugh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.