'fess up ladies--who else can't stay away from - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2006, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
birth shows on tv?

I can't stand to watch the medicalized hospital births, so I screen the episodes before watching, but I can't get enough of births! I just saw "House of Babies" (which wasn't on during my last pregnancy) and I cried.

So, who else here is a "birth junkie?"

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2006, 07:23 PM

Totally! In fact, one of the things I had to do last pregnancy was give up on A Baby Story because I was having blood pressure issues in the last couple weeks

I still watch them from time to time (if my hubby isn't watching Star Trek) - I like watching Bringing Home Baby... just to see how many moms who "really want to try breastfeeding" quit - and then I get pissed

I've never heard of the show you mentioned... what channel is that on? The only ones I know are the ones on TLC (and Discovery Health, but we don't get that channel).
Old 04-03-2006, 09:02 PM

I confess. I had been watching a lot of those medical miracle shows - like conjoined twins or premature babies - but they made me get too paranoid, so it s birth only for me now
Old 04-03-2006, 10:46 PM

I will only watch the ones that are natural and have bfing moms...if I get a whif of a mom who has to 'get there early enough to get my epidural' or who 'have to wear makeup so my baby sees me pretty' I just turn it off...it ticks me off too much.
When I was pg with my dd I was addicted to Labor and Delivery and Maternity Ward on Discovery...can't watch those anymore...its like, heres your epidural, oh can't push baby out, emergency c-section. Now it ticks me off....
Maybe I'm just oversensitive with pg hormones!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Genevieve, it's on Discovery Health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Hos
...its like, heres your epidural, oh can't push baby out, emergency c-section. Now it ticks me off....
Maybe I'm just oversensitive with pg hormones!
Oh, me too! I figure, if I feel the need to yell at the screen, it's not a good thing! But, it can't *just* be preg. hormones---during my last preg., ds was watching a show with me--the mom was on her back, for HOURS and "nothing" was happening, so they went for the c-section. Ds said, "Well, duh, she's laying on her BACK! Maybe if she got up it would help." LOL

Old 04-03-2006, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Yeah, I was into watching those birth shows for a couple days, then I decided I needed to stop yelling at the TV over unnecessary C-sections, giving breastfed babies a bottle of formula, etc... I think it was the bf'ing ones that really got me... I kept yelling at the TV "Call your local LLL leader!!!!!!!" UGH... I wish I could just shout that out to the world so everyone would know of that wonderful resource. I'm bf'ing today because two wonderful LLL leaders came to my house (FOR FREE) on two separate occasions and helped me with my preemie baby who was started on a bottle in the hospital. It was hard work, but I perservered and NEVER gave him formula. In fact, I didn't even bring home the can of formula from the hospital, and I had none in my house. I figured if I didn't have it, I wouldn't use it! The only time he ever got formula was that first week when he was in the NICU and my milk didn't come in until about day 5. The mixed my few drops of pumped colustrum with the formula he needed, then I caught up pretty quick once my milk came in.

I need to set the Tivo to record House of Babies, since I've seen that in the past, and those are good births. Bringing Home Baby seems to be the WORST show, because it always shows the mom giving up on bf'ing after the 1st night home. : The first night is always the worst, but IT GETS BETTER. I know I didn't sleep the entire first night home, and my baby had apnea while feeding in the middle of the night (thankfully, he didn't do it again, but it freaked me out, since this time I didn't have monitors there to tell me it was about to happen!). That suck/swallow/breathe reflex was still a bit immature, as he was only 33w3d gestation.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 04-04-2006, 01:09 AM

There was one of those BHB on last week that really got me. The mom called the baby "It" constantly - like 5 times in the first 12 hours home! And she was told she had to give the baby formula by some nurse because her milk was taking too long to come in, so someone showed them how to have dad finger feed the baby with a syringe. He was doing just fine, but she told him to put the nipple back on the bottle and just give the baby the bottle **BECAUSE IT WAS TOO MESSY**!!!!! I was so furious! She kept giving the baby to the dad to bottle feed while she went to pump because "I have to get my milk to come in."

Thankfully, she did stick with breastfeeding and, when they did the 6 week follow-up, she was breastfeeding then. But I got so ticked at her about that whole just give the nipple thing because of the mess. I was SURE she would quit in a few days to a week.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've watched them in the past... no tv now, which is probably a good thing.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 04-04-2006, 08:00 PM

the only time i can stand to see these shows is when pregnant but i don't watch a lot of television either way. i certainly don't watch these shows to be judgemental, self righteous or whatever - i don't think it's a productive form of either sisterhood or empathetically educating those who need it.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefight
i certainly don't watch these shows to be judgemental, self righteous or whatever - i don't think it's a productive form of either sisterhood or empathetically educating those who need it.
I don't feel judgemental of the mothers at all--I DO feel judgemental of a medical system that does not educate mothers about childbirth, and of a system that imposes a medical model for a non-medical life event. I am judgemental of medical personnel who micro-manage birth to fit their schedules and who undermine a woman's confidence in her own body's ability to birth.

I'm really enjoying "House of Births" because it follows a midwife-run birth center and these woman are so empowered by the care given and by their own experiences. It's really wonderful to hear woman talk about their birth experiences so positively.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:38 PM

I was hooked on birth shows with my last pregnancy i used to go over to my best friends house and watch them.
my best friends got hooked on them when she was over in america visiting her sister. we dont get them in australia so her sister tapes them for her and sends them over.
I am so annoyed i wont be able to watch them this time around.(my friend moved interstate) i loved yelling at the doctors it was a good stress relief.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan
I don't feel judgemental of the mothers at all--I DO feel judgemental of a medical system that does not educate mothers about childbirth, and of a system that imposes a medical model for a non-medical life event. I am judgemental of medical personnel who micro-manage birth to fit their schedules and who undermine a woman's confidence in her own body's ability to birth.

I'm really enjoying "House of Births" because it follows a midwife-run birth center and these woman are so empowered by the care given and by their own experiences. It's really wonderful to hear woman talk about their birth experiences so positively.

Peeking in from Dec. ddc (hi Joan!). I just wanted to say that I saw that show for the first time a couple of days ago and it was so nice to see something more natural compared to the other shows. It made me cry! (ok so I cry easily now but it was a breath of fresh air as far as tv birth shows go).
Old 04-05-2006, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

HI Mother Sunshine!!! How are you feeling?

Old 04-05-2006, 05:13 PM

Hi Joan , my breasts are super sore and my stomach is already soft. Just as I was getting it stronger and flatter, all the muscles loosened and now it doesn't feel natural to hold it in. I love big round pregnant bellies but not this beginning stage when I just feel fat.
But not much nausea yet. Just a little bit this morning after seeing the :Puke smiley in another thread. ( sorry mamas, probably not the best forum to do that smiley, now you're gonna kick me out huh).

How are you feeling Joan?
Old 04-05-2006, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_sunshine
How are you feeling Joan?
You ask very complicated questions!

I'm feeling....excited, scared, thrilled, ecstatic, nervous, happy, worried, impatient, settled, nauseous, tired, and fat (in that, not-yet-obviously-pregnant-but-can't-fit-into-my-normal-clothes sort of way.)

I'm glad for the sore breasts, because it's evidence that I'm still pregnant. (Had a m/c between this baby and my 6 y/o.) Although, I'm glad that ds weaned a few months back because I can't imagine nursing and being this sore!!

I'm sooooo looking forward to having a big, round belly again, and to nursing again, and smeling that baby smell, and I'm psyched that I get to labor and give birth one last time---which is why I'm enjoying this tv show so much. (How's THAT for a blatent attempt to bring this back on topic? )

Old 04-05-2006, 10:47 PM

User Tag List