alternatives to the glucose test? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-06-2006, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last pregnancy I developed gestational diabetes relatively early in the pregnancy-I doubled my pregnancy weight gain during month four. : Just started month four and I'm a bit nervous it will happen again. Last time I wasn't able to control the diabetes with diet alone and I ended up on four insulin injections a day for the last 6-8 weeks (memory full of holes) and I don't want that again.

My midwife said we can do a glucose test if we feel that it is a good idea. So far she has been testing my sugars at every visit and they are fantastic. I know there are alternatives to the lovely orange sugar drink....what are they? Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to get the information now in case I need it later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-06-2006, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My OB and I discussed it at our last appt, and we agreed that I would use my dad's glucometer (he's diabetic) to test my sugars at some different times of day (ie, 2 hours after a meal, etc.), and the OB will give me a list of times to check and what range the numbers should be for each of those times. He'll just have me do this around 28 weeks when you'd normally have the GTT anyway.

Using this method, you know what your sugars are doing on the diet you're currently eating. In your case, I'd be eating a diabetic diet just in case, and if you are still having sugar problems, you'd obviously need insulin again. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything you can really do to prevent it. But I would get it checked in some manner, as it is important for you and baby to keep everything under control.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#3 of 6 Old 06-06-2006, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
so you are looking for an alternative for the glucola nastinesss?! my midwife does a single serve size of organic grape juice. glendale farms 16 oz, i think. it is really yummy.

i just checked aand the glucola has 50 mg of sugar and some drs. / midwives use 18 jelly beans instead. but they need to be eaten in 2 minutes?...

hopefully someone will have more helpful info for you!

wendy- blessed mama of 9  
#4 of 6 Old 06-06-2006, 06:14 PM

Any drink or food with the same amount of carbs and protien as the glucose drink would be fine (ie, OJ might be a bad idea, because the bulk will slow down absorption).
#5 of 6 Old 06-06-2006, 07:08 PM

I just gave this info to my doc yesterday and she's okay with me doing it if that's what I want... I got this from a friend using a midwife (again) for her second birth...

Hi Gen!

First, here are some abstracts and their conclusions for both breakfast and jelly bean testing in case your doctor would like to see some research documentation.

Breakfast alternative...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Jelly bean alternative...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=10561636

This is the guide Michelle sent me for breakfast ideas...

McDonald's for breakfast:
Egg McMuffin is 30 g carb
12 oz. OJ is 33 g carb
TOTAL: 63 g

OR

Hot Cakes with 2 pats of margarine and 1 pkt of syrup is 26 g carb
12 oz. OJ is 33 g carb
TOTAL: 59 g.

OR

one cup of orange juice is 20g carb
1 and 1/2 cups of corn flakes is 30g carb
one slice of toast is 15g carb
1 teaspoon of jelly is 5g carb
4 ounces of milk is 5g carb
TOTAL: 75 g.

Now, this was just a guide for me to follow. Since I can't do Mc D's Michelle said I could go to any restaurant and order an equivalent or create it at home. Just make sure that the meal meets the minimum carb requirement of 59 grams. If I remember correctly, I had a veggie omelet with 3 side pancakes (came as a combo) and a large OJ for my breakfast. I went with a veggie omelet because a meat omelet would have increased the fat content and having too much fat would skew the results since fats slow down carb metabolism.

I had to fast 12 hours before...go in for a blood draw...eat and then 2 hours after eating I went for the second blood draw.

Here's something I found regarding one woman's reason for not taking the test. She says some compelling things but since this kind of testing isn't invasive or abusive, I have no problem taking it.
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gdnegmom.html

So, that's it. I hope your doctor is open to the alternative. It's not just new age/hippy hooey and I think she'll see that. If not, I hope that she'll at least honor your desires based on how YOU feel about the research to let you do what you feel to be the best method for you.
#6 of 6 Old 06-09-2006, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

I have an "alternative" midwife so it should be no problem to suggest something other than the drink-I don't even know if she would do it that way. But I think it would be a good idea to have other suggestions if it is how she wants to do it.

I asked her at my last visit if she thought I should purchase my own glucose meter so I can check myself. She said that there is no reason to worry about it too much now and if I had my own I would be checking all the time.

Sticking to a diabetic diet in Sweden is.....difficult. I'm trying to keep an eye on carbs and eat whole wheat and brown rice and pasta. The nutritional information here on packages is listed (if at all) not by serving size but by 100g. Forget the handy diabetic symbols I had to go by in Canada. I never got the hang of reading the label and figuring out on my own how many servings of starch, protein, or others were involved. The diabetic symbols saved me!

I'm really really unsure how they will treat the gd if I do develop it again. I'm a bit worried they will just put me directly on insulin. : I'm pretty sure my midwife would not do that but I don't know at what point things need me to see a doctor as well.

Having a baby in a foreign country is one hell of an adventure! :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page