Any other VBACers due in November? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 06-29-2006, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious to know if there are any others here going for a VBAC.
#2 of 26 Old 06-29-2006, 01:12 AM

I'm not sure if I am or not...
I have a pelvic issue plus technically 2 c-sections with a crazy internal scar, but my doctor is thinking about making an attempt. I'm really, REALLY scared. I need to think about it a little more before makign a choice, but I've got time.
#3 of 26 Old 06-29-2006, 02:53 AM

I'm going to try. Last time I got pregnant just 9 months (nice time frame) after a near fatal car accident where one of my many injuries was a broken pelvis. During the pregnancy I developed high blood pressure and gestational diabetes. So it was a planned section and I didn't have all the information I do now. Because I broke some transverse processes (bits of the spine) in the accident having the spinal administered was hellish. I had seen the anethitist (spelling is horrid) the day before the section and he said all should go well. He was wrong. But he was a wonderful doctor and I can't fault him for the problems.

This time I am going to pay extra money to have my regular midwife at the birth. I'm also going to a hospital where I can have a "homebirth experience in a hospital setting". I feel that with the support of my midwife and partner I can do this! And really, when it comes right down to it even if I end up with another section I will know that I at least tried to do it my way.
#4 of 26 Old 06-29-2006, 07:55 AM

I am due in mid-Nov and I will be going for a vbac.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#5 of 26 Old 06-29-2006, 09:35 AM

This will be my 2ndHBAC so last babe was a VBAC at home.
I would love to answer any questions you have. It was a wonderful experience for me.

Amanda, wife to Ed mama to Logan, Phoenix, Indigo and snuggle bunny EZRA RAIN has arrived
#6 of 26 Old 06-29-2006, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm hoping to but for me it's very much wait and see.

I have a fibriod growing very close to my cervix, last time I was told providing it wasn't covering the cervix there shouldn't be any problems with vagainal birth. In the end I had placenta previa as well hence the C/S.

I have my 20 week scan tommorow and I've got my fingers crosssed that everything will be out of the way. I don't think we will really be able to tell till much closer to the date though.

DH and have talked about homebirth but haven't decided anything yet.
#7 of 26 Old 06-29-2006, 12:39 PM

This will be my 2nd VBAC. I had a placental abruption that required an emergency c-section. Let me tell you, I would rather have 100 natural births than 1 c-section. That surgery hurt!
#8 of 26 Old 06-29-2006, 01:54 PM

I am planning a vbac.

I have a bit of a dilemna though. I am currently seeing a hospital affiliated cnm. The hospital has banned vbacs. The cnm is supportive of letting me try for one, but I don't want to have to fight for my rights when I am in labor.

Sooooo, I had a consult with a homebirth midwife and we think we are going to go with her. I can't lie though. I am scared of all the "what if's".

Anyone else feel the same?
#9 of 26 Old 06-29-2006, 02:25 PM

I would lovelovelove to have a homebirth but dh is terrified. One of the big reasons we are going out of our way to birth at the hospital we will be going to...I call it the "hippy hospital". Also, in Sweden VBACs are not covered under the gov't medical plan and we just cannot afford the 12-15,000 SEK (approx. 1,600-2,000 USD) for a homebirth.

When dh and I talked about it I realized I'm also a bit nervous about homebirth....but at the same time we would have a midwife present. And they have been present at hundreds of births and would be able to tell relatively quickly if things aren't going as they should. And would not waste time getting you to the hospital if need be.

I think if you are going for a VBAC there is a certain degree of worry no matter where you plan on giving birth.
#10 of 26 Old 06-29-2006, 03:44 PM

I am most definitely vbac'ing!!! No holds barred! I've had a previous vaginal birth with no complications whatsoever. My last c-section was due to the baby being breech and several other medical problems she had. I checked with the doctor who performed my c-sec and he said I had a low transverse incision on my uterus with double stitching so there's no reason I shouldn't have a successful vbac. Now I'm just hoping little man cooperates and gets into position like he's supposed to.
#11 of 26 Old 06-29-2006, 04:07 PM

I am planning a HBAC too! My c-section was due to breech twins, and was scheduled. My midwives are really great and supportive, and haven't voiced any concerns about possible uterine rupture or anything like that. Of course, I keep coming across horror stories, and it is hard not to be a little afraid of the possible bad outcomes. But statistically, the chances of anything bad happening are very small, and I am getting better and better at trusting my body and not letting fear take over.

If, at the end of the pregnancy, I still am having any fear about the hbac, I will probably choose to vbac at the hospital instead, but I'm hoping that by that point I will have total confidence in my body's ability.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#12 of 26 Old 06-29-2006, 06:06 PM

You know, if nothing else coming here really makes me appreciate my midwife! I had my section in Canada and my midwife never really asked me any questions about it. She told me that there's no point talking about what happened last time because this is a new pregnancy and we'll take things as they come.

I'm a bit worried about labor....since my section was planned I have never experienced any labor at all. Dh seems to think I'll have problems dealing with pain. Honestly. Men sometimes. After what I've been through in the last 4 years you think he would have faith in my strength and willpower.

If you are planning a VBAC read the Silent Knife. I read it early in the pregnancy and although there wasn't really any new information in there for me it was very reaffirming and empowering.
#13 of 26 Old 06-29-2006, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing, mamas! As for me, my cesarean was a result of the classic cascade of interventions/"failure to wait". I am overjoyed to have a beautiful, healthy child, BUT wish I'd gone with a midwife the first time around. *sigh* at least there is this supportive group this time around! It is good to know some fellow VBACers due the same month.

Sunshine-girl, honestly, I don't think pain is the issue. If there is any "enemy", I think it is exhaustion. Of course, if you are not hooked up to machines and in a hospital that makes you forgo food and drink, then I think you can deal with that, too! In the end, it is whether you have the right people with you and since you are on this board, then I'm sure you do!!
#14 of 26 Old 06-30-2006, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citymama
Sunshine-girl, honestly, I don't think pain is the issue. If there is any "enemy", I think it is exhaustion. Of course, if you are not hooked up to machines and in a hospital that makes you forgo food and drink, then I think you can deal with that, too! In the end, it is whether you have the right people with you and since you are on this board, then I'm sure you do!!
I'm not too worried about pain, just labor in general iykwim. I will be able to eat if I want to, my midwife told me to wait as long as possible at home, and I can't imagine being hooked up to machines unless there is a very very good reason for it. My midwife knows that I want to avoid another section and/or spinal/epidural at all costs.

So far this pregancy things are going well...sugars and blood pressure are fine. I'm hoping things stay that way or at the very least the gd waits until much later in the pregnancy and is controllable with the diet. I don't want to go back to insulin shots!

One of the great things about Sweden is that you automatically have a midwife and doctors are only added if necessary. Bad part is that when you go into labor you get whichever midwife is working and it might be a total stranger. Unless you are like me and are able and willing to pay cash to "block off" four weeks of your midwife's time.
#15 of 26 Old 06-30-2006, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine*girl
I'm not too worried about pain, just labor in general
Have you read "Birthing from Within"? Great book about letting go and letting the natural process take its course.

Also, someone shared this website about positioning on the VBAC board

www.spinningbabies.com

PRetty neat.
#16 of 26 Old 06-30-2006, 11:24 AM

I have been to spinning babies quite a few times and I've been directing my friends there.

I'm planning on getting the Sears Birth Book. I wanted to wait until after the ultrasound before I bought it....I didn't want to jinx myself and get it earlier. I am worried a bit about labor but I know that it's what I am designed for, more or less, and no matter how bad it seems at the moment I will get through it. Today my therapist told me to get going with yoga, it will help things immensely. She also told me (she's also a non practicing gyno) that it is possible that my pelvis might not be very elastic since the break. I have considered that but if I'm going to have a section this time it will be an emergency one, not planned.

I'll post on other boards I go to and see if anyone has the "Birthing from Within" book to lend me.
#17 of 26 Old 06-30-2006, 12:18 PM

well, I'm hoping for a VBAC here; will have to see when I meet with the (new) OB next week. Dd was born via section as she was a frank breech, but got 'wedged' under my pubic bone

I feel really mad with myself actually, as I made the mistake of reading a friend's hospital consent form (don't even go there : ), and it had the odds of rupture/death on it and I got scared I wish I hadn't even seen it; I'm not sure where the information came from, and all it did was make me question whether I was being stupid and taking too much of a risk by wanting to VBAC.

And y'know, then I read a lot more about VBACs, and I still really 'believe' in it, so we'll see what this dr thinks too. I *know* my body can do this...I went into labour spontaneously with dd, and it progressed really fast, and I just trust so profoundly that my body was made to do this.

Also, I just don't want to be out of comission after an abdominal surgery; dd is going to have to cope with a lot of changes anyway without her mama being unable to be active with her.
#18 of 26 Old 06-30-2006, 04:02 PM

I am hoping for a VBAC
#19 of 26 Old 07-03-2006, 04:49 PM

This will hopefully be my 2nd VBAC. Evan was almost a c/s too b/c of placental abruption, but thanks to a great DR, we avoided that.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#20 of 26 Old 07-03-2006, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBumblebee
I feel really mad with myself actually, as I made the mistake of reading a friend's hospital consent form (don't even go there : ), and it had the odds of rupture/death on it and I got scared I wish I hadn't even seen it; I'm not sure where the information came from, and all it did was make me question whether I was being stupid and taking too much of a risk by wanting to VBAC.
This is the problem of insurance companies and why some OBs are shying away from and even denying VBACs. If you start delving into the numbers, the risks of VBAC are no greater than other risks in a normal vaginal delivery and in some cases even greater than some of the risks involved in cesarean delivery. There is some good discussion of these issues on the VBAC board. See:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=475188

Quote:
Also, I just don't want to be out of comission after an abdominal surgery; dd is going to have to cope with a lot of changes anyway without her mama being unable to be active with her.
I hear you!!! THis is a big reason for me as well. I also feel that my body can do it, given the chance. Let's keep rooting for one another!
#21 of 26 Old 07-04-2006, 10:58 AM

but haven't even had a chance to discuss it with the doctor yet. And I'd like to do some further research on it also, I don't want to just listen to what one doctors says though I will certainly give his opinion lots of thought.
I'm a little nervous about it, but from what I understand a VBAC is usually not a problem at all. I guess there are certain situations where it might not be a great idea but I just have to figure out if I am in one of those :-)

good luck ladies ! Is there anywhere online I can find some articles about VBAC's or does anyone know a good book I can read?
thanks!
Erica
#22 of 26 Old 07-04-2006, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, Erica! Yes, you can start right here on MDC - the VBAC board has some great resources and there are some great articles on the main mothering.com site. Also, Henci's Goer's "A Thinking Woman's Guide to Childbirth" has some information on VBAC and you can also do a search for her articles online. There are some other books recommended on the VBAC board, too.

I must admit that I am a conservative/cautious person- hence, I feel more comfortable with a hospital VBAC than a HBAC (homebirth after cesarean), but there seem to be a quite a few women going for HBACs and one of the midwives I met even suggested this to me. I would talk with your OB just to find out what her/his protocol for VBAC might be. Try not to get caught up in conversations about UR - one mom on the VBAC board made a good point that cord prolapse in a normal vaginal birth is about as a common as UR in a VBAC, but that doesn't mean all women should have cesareans. I am going to clarify my OB's protocol this week - I heard that one of her preferred ground rules is an epidural and if that is the case, I am switching to a midwife even though I'll have to come up with $3k to cover out-of-network fees.
#23 of 26 Old 07-05-2006, 12:34 AM

Hi there I'm also planning a vbac. I've had 2 c-sections and am DETERMINED to have a VBAC with this birth. I'm also working on letting go of the "what if" fear and trusting my body knows how to work. Good luck to you!
#24 of 26 Old 07-06-2006, 08:11 PM

I am attempting a hospital VBAC. I have a midwife and this time I'm hiring a Doula as well. I'm in the process now of interviewing them. My biggest fear is exhaustion and never dilating (which is the reason for the csec last time). I can handle the contractions, already done that. Surgery was horrible, I don't want to be in the hospital any more time than i have too kwim?
#25 of 26 Old 07-07-2006, 09:10 AM

hospital vbac with a midwife here...
#26 of 26 Old 07-07-2006, 03:20 PM

I'm planning my second VBAC at home. The first one went really smoothly. I'd had one vaginal birth before my c/s so I was pretty confidant I wouldn't have any problems, so I'm very fortunate for that.

Good luck to all you momma's planning your VBAC's!

Shannon

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page