Anyone planning to knit anything for the new babe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-29-2006, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just learned to knit not long ago, and am SO excited to do some knitting for this babe. November is such the perfect time of year to dress a new baby head to toe in wool!

I've knit some sweaters and hats for friends' babies before, but have pretty much just used the same two patterns over and over again. Does anyone have any pattern suggestions? Now that I am feeling pretty good, I can't wait to get started on this baby's wardrobe!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-29-2006, 05:02 PM

I'm not so great with the knitting. I got the hacky-sack like ball pattern from Little Turtle Knits to try and work my way into knitting faster (I also bought one of the wool cover patterns there, but I'm nowhere near ready to attempt that!). Yeah... the stinking little balls take me like 3 hours to do! They aren't complicated at all - I'm just so used to crochet instead.

So I'm working on a crocheted blanket for the babe. Just like with my son, I let my husband pick out the colors and pattern and I'm doing the work. I have to admit that I'm not overly thrilled with the way I think this will go... and I fell in love with some yarn at Hobby Lobby that I **really** want to make a blanket from... but I'm going to see this pattern through and go from there.

This is a mock-up of what it will look like - Most likely with either the darkest green or the off white as the border and attaching color between the blocks... and the upper left corner would also be the dark green.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...eofschoice.jpg
#3 of 9 Old 06-29-2006, 05:44 PM

Sorry, not in you DDC, but if youre a beginner wanting to knit baby stuff I recommend Debbie Bliss's book Baby Knits for Beginners. Its super easy-and gives lots of helpful directions should you get stuck.

Good Luck-baby stuff is fun to knit because they are so small and it knits up really fast. Besides its great playing such an active part in what your child wears.
#4 of 9 Old 06-30-2006, 01:24 PM

Hi Lex...I am acutally knitting from that Debbie Bliss book ashtree suggested. I am pretty much a beginner. So far I've knit 2 sweaters...one a little better than the other. Heres a link of a pic of the good one, and a little bear I knitted.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3...ysweater.0.jpg

I see that you're from Goshen, MA! I just moved from Northampton up to Burlington, VT and I miss Webs so much. Webs is were I bought the Debbie Bliss book and they carry Debbie Bliss yarn as well, I LOVE the Cashmerino (though not cheap). But if you want to PM me perhaps I can email you some patterns. Also, knitty.com has good free patterns.

Good luck and happy knitting!!!
#5 of 9 Old 06-30-2006, 03:09 PM

I had the same thought as you about November babies and wool. Especially since, if something's a little too big, the baby can probably wear it in January or February.

I'm taking Pamelamama's class in knitting a diaper soaker over at Wooly Wonder. We're just getting started with dyeing our yarn. I'm pretty new to knitting, but the pace of the class is slow. Also I figured if I took a class, I would be more likely to complete the project than if I was doing it on my own. I'm *hoping* to make three small soakers for this babe, so that I can make them a good part of my stash when the baby is a certain size. Having only one soaker in a given size didn't work well for us with dd.
#6 of 9 Old 06-30-2006, 03:56 PM

Oooooh, you mamas are obviously better knitters that I am -I am the *queen* of blanket squares, but daren't attempt anything like a sweater! I will look out for that book though - I really love the thought of being able to snuggle my babe in a home-knit sweater.

I am working on a blanket though (surprise, surprise) - it's very sweet, with little duckies swiss darned on the corners : My goal is to make one for me, and one for my gf who's due the same day

My dearest friend in the UK made a blanket from wool that she'd spun herself for dd; it's already tucked away with the lavender and cedar in dd's keepsake box, but I think she'll let us use it!
#7 of 9 Old 07-03-2006, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I am acutally knitting from that Debbie Bliss book ashtree suggested. I am pretty much a beginner. So far I've knit 2 sweaters...one a little better than the other. Heres a link of a pic of the good one, and a little bear I knitted.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3...ysweater.0.jpg
Me too, that sweater was the first thing I knitted beyond squares and it turned out pretty well and not as hard as I thought it would be.
#8 of 9 Old 07-04-2006, 11:01 AM

I found a pattern in a old knitting magazine digest I have.
I want to get started soon--I'm going to knit it in alpaca. Should be fun.
My only fear being a beginning knitter is if the pattern has any problems I won't be able to work them out or even notice till it is too late. It seems so many of those magazine patterns end up with corrections later on. I'll have to find if they have a website for that mag and see if any corrections were added before I start.

Maybe I worry too much! LOL
Erica
#9 of 9 Old 07-04-2006, 11:07 AM

Oooooh, alpaca is so gorgeous : That will be a beautiful project.

Some friends have an alpaca farm, and I have some Alpaca felt from them that I'm going to use as a pad in the cradle...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page