What is this? should i be worried? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
about a week ago i was sleeping in bed and around 2 am i was woken up by the most horrible paralizing leg cramp in my left leg.. it last a few minutes but in those minutes i could literally not move.

Then it just stoped but when i woke up my calf was sore for 2 days.. not horrible but sore.

then it was fine... well it happened the exact same way last night.

anyone else have this? is it normal?

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006, 07:38 PM

Yep they are very common! I get them so often I have actually figure out how to stop them before the cramp really gets going! I pull my toes back toward my shin.

I'm sorry your getting them, even if those type of leg cramps are normal!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
Old 06-30-2006, 07:51 PM

I have been getting them too, and like bathrobe goddess, if i flex my foot up it tends to relax faster. But I think it's from a deficiency of some sort. Potassium maybe. I've been told to eat a banana a day, but I haven't tried it yet.

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

Old 06-30-2006, 08:18 PM

extra bananas worked for me

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 06-30-2006, 08:36 PM

Yeah... I had them often in my first pregnancy and a few times in the last... I have been eating more bananas this time and it hasn't happened yet this time

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
Old 06-30-2006, 09:02 PM

I get those charlie horses too and they hurt so bad!!! Sometimes I use them as practice for labor, try to relax and breathe. My MW has me taking extra mag/cal suppliments and I think they are helping. My chiropractor says that as much as it hurts, try to stretch it out, that will help with the soreness tomorrow. Ouch! Good luck!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:26 PM

i actually got one of those last night....

i think i need to work some more calcium into my diet...and i might just have to try the extra bananas too, which won't be hard because when i buy them, i have to eat them all since dp is allergic to them.....
Old 06-30-2006, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Had horrible leg cramps with my last pregnancy (just like you described). Felt like someone had taken a sledge hammer to my calf while I was sleeping. Started taking calcium and they went away almost immediately. I stated taking calcium with my prenatals and folic acid before I started TTC and so far no leg cramps.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:23 PM

They were terrible for me last time too. Whatever you do, DON'T point your foot when it's happening. It makes it much, much worse. Flexing your foot usually makes them stop. I've had a couple of little ones with this pregnancy, but I've caught them early by flexing and stopped them before they got to the excrutiating stage. I've also heard that not drinking enough water causes them. I never found anything that helped, other than the foot flexing in the moment.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas it happened again last night and I flexed on and off and it was easier to deal with for sure!!!

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:56 AM

:
Old 07-02-2006, 09:44 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have gotten those too. I can't remember if it's potassium or clcium that does it. SO I usually add alittle more milk and bananas to my diet and it does the trick.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

Old 07-03-2006, 04:44 PM

I get them and it's so horrible!!! sometimes they say eating more bananas can help
Old 07-03-2006, 05:45 PM

I've been getting them a lot lately too. The worst is when I get a leg cramp in both legs at the same time! Sometimes I have to slowly stand on the leg that is cramping in order for it to stretch out and for the cramp to go away. I have started to add some extra potassium and calcium to my diet. I have heard that being low on either can cause the cramps and it probably can't hurt to add a banana or a little extra daily anyway.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
Old 07-03-2006, 06:05 PM

I had horrible foot and leg cramps with my first pregnancy. Toward the end, I was waking up several times a night with them. I've gotten them a few times last pregnancy and this pregnancy, but they've been much easier to deal with since I learned to flex my foot up as others have mentioned. I think extra bananas do help, too.

Mother of three and strong advocate of being KIND to each other. (No one is going to learn how to be a better mother by your telling her she makes you want to throw up.)
Old 07-05-2006, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I get them as well. I don't get them on days that I walk or ride my bike, only on the days where I don't get extra physical activity. I also have been having DH massage my calves before bed.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:02 PM

yup. they're horrid, aren't they? I find I get them if I've been getting a bit dehydrated - and that having some juice and a slightly salty snack before bed seems to help. I've also started taking extra Cal-Mag before bed too, 'cos I've been getting the twitches again :

User Tag List