anyone else NOT huge??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-02-2006, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I know it's my first baby and that means that my belly will be growing at a different rate than you ol' timers. But even so I feel like I'm growing REALLY slowly. It's only about within the last two weeks (I'm 19 weeks today) that you could even barely tell that I'm pregnant at all. And now even though I feel like I'm huge, I'm really not growing much at all. My size 6 pre-pregnancy jeans still fit me ... how's that for weird?

I don't know ... I guess I just feel like I'm almost halfway done with this pregnancy, shouldn't there be some sign of it?

I have an appointment with my midwife and my first (and probably only) ultrasound this Friday though, so I'll know if everything is going ok. It just feels really strange to want to be getting big but instead still pretty much be the same size.

unbelievably proud mother to Darwin 11-22-2006
#2 of 14 Old 07-02-2006, 01:35 PM

Me! I am going to be 22 weeks tomorrow and I only started to have an obvious bump between 19 and 20 weeks along! It just happened one night and I noticed the difference in the morning. However, I kept looking at the belly pictures in this group and comparing (and worrying)! When I went to my OB this past week, everything was fine and she commented that the baby is growing nicely... so I am not as concerned now. I am glad to not have popped out too much but I also feel pretty big already.
#3 of 14 Old 07-02-2006, 11:15 PM

When I saw the thread title I was like, "yeah, I'm not really huge..." but still fitting into your pre-preg jeans, wow, I can only wish For me the expanding behind and hips necessitated some bigger clothes but otherwise my baby belly is not that big really. FWIW I have a friend who started out really skinny and never needed any maternity stuff or even larger sizes till she was past 25 weeks and everything was ok.

Then again, I just realized that I'm now in week 22 and I'd say that I grew a bit in the last few weeks...I was so impatient to "show" already but since I wear really loose clothes even now you need to look at just the right angle to know I'm pregnant
#4 of 14 Old 07-02-2006, 11:31 PM

I know exactly what you mean. I'm no longer expecting, but my dd was my 2nd and I showed early with my first and didn't show untill the beginning of my eighth month just barely and didn't really look pg until 9 months. I promise I ate healthy and everything! I gained almost 40 lbs in 2 mths! I didn't eat anything different so it was really freaky. Btw I was really healthy and so was my baby. I just gained all over those last 2 mths and am just now in a size 10 (if I suck in---------my hips and butt and arms are huge ) I wore my sz 3 and 5's untill I started getting big at 8/9 mths. It's really depressing to be pg and want to show it to the world and to try to arch your back and stick out your belly and still not look preg. I was like "No, really I'm really 6 months preg.!" and people would look at me like I was crazy. LoL : Now I look like I'm pregnant:
#5 of 14 Old 07-02-2006, 11:58 PM

This is my first too and I haven't gotten very big yet either. I'm heavier to begin with, but I can still fit into most of my regular clothes. All of my pants still fit, but my shirts seem shorter. I know how you feel, though. I want people to know I'm pregnant.
#6 of 14 Old 07-03-2006, 02:37 AM

I'm pregnant with my second, and I swear I looked more pregnant with my first at this point than I do now. I'm getting to the point where some underware (the smaller of the two sizes I bounced between after my son) are getting too small. But I'm having the same clothing dilemas that I have for the last 7 weeks (I'm 21 weeks now)... too big for my pre-preg jeans/khakis, but too small for my maternity pants - the expand-o-belly just falls right down.

However, I can feel that my uterus is where it's supposed to be, I can find baby's heartbeat with my fetoscope every now and then and it's good and strong, and s/he's moving around. So everything is fine... but I was really expecting to look more, well, expecting by this time. I don't - I just look like I'm getting a bigger (non-pregnant) belly.
#7 of 14 Old 07-03-2006, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I popped out a bit a week ago, but if I'm wearing a T-shirt, you still can't tell that easily. Totally depends on what I'm wearing. In some stuff I look definitively pregnant, and in and stuff, I just look fat. :

I think with my first, I didn't really start "showing" until early-mid 20s. Of course, I grew out of my jeans *right away* with that pregnancy, and was in maternity pants at 8 weeks. I just didn't look preg. It was the sides of my waist expanding, not my belly. Same thing happened this time, and I was in maternity pants at 5 weeks. I just expand in the waist early, but don't get actual preggo belly until baby moves up past my belly button (which it's right at my belly button now, I think). Everyone is different, and it's totally normal to not show until 6, 7, even 8 months!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#8 of 14 Old 07-03-2006, 08:31 AM

I'm about 21 weeks with baby #2 and can still fit into most of my pre-prego pants and shirts. A few of them are too small, but I can probably get another couple weeks out of them. I have bought a few maternity tops and pants in case I pop out overnight and nothing fits. I've only gained about 6lbs so far, but I can tell my belly is bigger.

Kathy

ETA: I should say that I started out a, ahem, little bit larger than a size six so maybe my baby is just taking up the extra space I had in my belly to begin with.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#9 of 14 Old 07-03-2006, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Alright, well then I don't feel so bad. I've just so badly wanted to look pregnant for just about my entire life. And now here I am, cooking this baby, and nothing.

Well soon enough.

And trust me, I do love the fact that I still fit into my pre-preggo jeans ... makes everything in life so much easier!

unbelievably proud mother to Darwin 11-22-2006
#10 of 14 Old 07-03-2006, 09:51 AM

I am 21 weeks pregnant with my second. Definitely not huge. Wearing a non maternity tshirt. I do have a bump, but many people don't realize I am pregnant.
#11 of 14 Old 07-03-2006, 04:15 PM

I still don't look pregnant either (22/23 weeks). I can't fit into my pants that have buttons but the elastic waist ones are fine. People can't tell yet...many of my friends haven't noticed, my job hasn't noticed, etc. I did have an ultrasound a couple of weeks ago and at that time the baby was measuring a little bit big for my EDD (which has been estimated anywhere from 10/26-10/31 but I think/hope it will be Nov.) My other two kids didn't show for 7-8 months so I am not tripping at all!! I have gained about 4 lbs which I attribute to not drinking beer!!!
#12 of 14 Old 07-03-2006, 04:37 PM

We're due within days from each other. Technically we're in our fifth month. I had a woman ask me the other day, if I was only about two or three months pregnant... when I told her I was in my fifth month, she said, "OMG... you must have been really tiny when you got pregnant. And this is my third child. So, to answer your question, it's perfectly normal to be as small as you are still.... especially with your first baby. The uterus doesn't distend as easily the first time around. Plus, your little one could be more towards your back side which will also cause you to have less of a bump. Don't worry, you'll get there soon enough... and when you do, you'll be dying to get back into your size 6 jeans.
#13 of 14 Old 07-04-2006, 01:09 AM

I tend to stay regular sized until about the 8th month and then I get a huge belly all at once. You couldn't even tell I was pregnant with my first until the month she was born!
#14 of 14 Old 07-04-2006, 02:18 PM

I was still wearing my jeans at this point with my 1st and am still pretty small this time around, too. Don't worry, even 'small' pg people feel pretty pregnant and sick of it by the 9th month; trust me!

I don't mind being able to 'hide' it; I'm not a big attention person and I've discovered I don't always like hearing everyone else's pregnancy horror stories! I love being pregnant; I feel great and can do everything I always have (with the exception of that 2nd drink at happy hour).

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page