Has anyone done a 3d or 4d sonogram? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-05-2006, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(cross posting to Dec ddc)

Okay, I went in for a sonogram on the 29th of June and everything looked good with the baby. The sonographer had trouble determining sex, but eventually she said she was 97% sure it was a girl. Well, here's my problem: I don't think it is a girl (feels just like my boys) so I reacted pretty badly to the news (I actually felt like I almost mourned the loss of my baby boy), my DH doesn't think it is a girl, my family is refusing to buy any girl things because none of them feel it is a girl, my friends are all sceptical. Why, might you ask? Well, when I was pg with my second child the sonographer was almost positive it was a girl so everyone went hog-wild buying girl stuff. Well, I had to go back 8 weeks later for another sonogram (had a mild previa so they wanted to make sure it had moved) and the sonographer informed me that my "daughter" had miraculously grown a penis and testicles. Needless to say there was a lot "returning of gifts" being done.

So, I am very leary of believing it is a girl and it is a very unsettling feeling...almost more so than not knowing at all. I have no medical reason (knock on wood) to need to go back for another sono. But, here is why I specifically asked about 3d or 4d: my dad's wife is a professor of early childhood development and the last time I was pg she asked if I was going to get one and when I said "no" she let it drop. This time she told me that she really wanted one to be able to use as a teaching tool, but really wanted it to be mine (made it feel less invasive for her and she could tell the class it was her step-grandchild). So, it seems like a relatively harmless thing to do for the woman who has finally made my dad happy after so many years of him being miserable while he was with my mother, but I've been hearing disturning things about the effects of mulitple sonos.

So, any opinions on the whole 3d/4d thing? What about intution about sex? I've always been right before and this feels wrong.

Very conflicted.....Jennifer
#2 of 10 Old 07-05-2006, 11:15 PM

I've always been right w/ my kids too, 2 boys and then a girl. IT's still hard to believe sometimes I'm having a girl even though I knew she was one from the very beginning. lol I have had the 3D u/s done, but my DR does them so I feel 'safe' there. IME the 3D/4D u/s have never come out very well for us, especially this time b/c I have an anterior placenta. It's up to you and I'm not sure one extra u/s will harm anything. I get 3 w/ each pgcy and so far all my kids are great. Good luck!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#3 of 10 Old 07-05-2006, 11:37 PM

How far along are you? How sophisticated is the machine they're using?

My first pg, I had one sonogram at 23 weeks--regular and 3D. A friend who is an ultrasound tech told me that 3D really doesn't help them diagnose anything, it is just fun for the parents. I don't know if that's true. As far as gender goes, dd's labia were extremely easy to see. So if you have a good machine, a not-shy baby, and you're fairly far along, I think you should be able to trust what the tech says.

Anyway, this time, I had one at 12.5 weeks. They saw what we say. A speck between the legs. The doc and tech said 80% boy and "Don't buy anything yet." Several people we know are "sure" we are having a boy, but I am not till I see something clear. We're going to have another u/s Friday, and I'm hoping we will *know*. Yes, I feel a bit guilty about having any u/s and having two, but this is a decision that we've made. I've also taken Tylenol this pg and drank coffee--and some people would choose not to do those things.
#4 of 10 Old 07-06-2006, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have my 20 week u/s today, so I'll let you know if he sticks it in 3D or 4D mode for anything and if it makes it easier to see the "parts". I've heard that 4D is pretty useless in the 2nd trimester because baby has no fat.

My OB put it in 3D mode for a brief moment during my dating u/s (I was 7w1d at the time), and honestly, I could tell more from the 2D. Although looking at the pic he printed out in 3D mode, it's blurry, but I *can* kind of make out the shape of the baby, which you couldn't really see in 2D mode. So I guess you can see something, and that might be useful for seeing gender better. I dunno.

I personally, after reading the u/s research, am not worried about the effects of 2 u/s. I don't want to do weekly u/s (I had PROM last time, and many moms with previous PROM will get weekly vaginal u/s to check length of cervix - I chose not to). So if I were you, I'd probably go with the u/s that your family member is wanting to do. But that's just me, and I know many here would completely disagree and say you're taking a huge health risk, etc. So I'm sure you'll hear both sides.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#5 of 10 Old 07-06-2006, 12:29 PM

I am a big fan of knowing the sex (not that I think people who don't want to know should find out or anything like that!), and I'm not super paranoid about u/s (I don't like them, I don't think babies like them, but I don't think they cause harm when done in moderation), so I wouldn't be opposed to a second u/s just on principle. However, I would probably trust the first u/s you had. Usually, technicians say that the sex determination is only 90% accurate (especially for girls), so having someone say that they were 97% sure sounds pretty sure to me! They had trouble seeing our babe's sex this time too (feet tucked under butt), but eventually did get a good shot (we have the pic on our fridge) of his definitely-there penis. I thought we were having a girl--I was wrong!

So, I think, it's very likely that you ARE having a girl, but if you think having another u/s would greatly enhance your experience of this pregnancy, I would go for it.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#6 of 10 Old 07-06-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenr
(cross posting to Dec ddc)

This time she told me that she really wanted one to be able to use as a teaching tool, but really wanted it to be mine (made it feel less invasive for her and she could tell the class it was her step-grandchild). So, it seems like a relatively harmless thing to do for the woman who has finally made my dad happy after so many years of him being miserable while he was with my mother, but I've been hearing disturning things about the effects of mulitple sonos.

Very conflicted.....Jennifer
Just wanted to say.... this is so sweet. : You are being so thoughtful.

I don't blame you for being conflicted, but lots of folks do u/s (most, really) so I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world if you did. The pp's gave you good feedback.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#7 of 10 Old 07-06-2006, 03:10 PM

I have a good friend who's training to be an u/s tech right now & we were just talking about this. They always use 2D to determine the sex & there's no difference in the amount of exposure the baby gets from 2D to 3D/4D. And the only difference from 3D to 4D is one is seen in more "real time" than the other. The image quality is the same.

I know there's a lot of scary info out there about u/s waves being harmful. I'm not sure what I believe, being as there's conflicting info. I've had one this pg & will have one more.

As for you questioning the sex I've never been right yet so I'm no help. Hope you're able to find out for certain! I had a 20 week u/s with my oldest & was told he was a girl only to find out he was, in fact, a boy at my 42 week appt. Not cool.

Shannon
#8 of 10 Old 07-06-2006, 03:14 PM

I had 3D/4D at my 17w appointment and was floored when told I was having a girl. Honestly, I'm still (3 weeks later) having a difficult time understanding how that's possible - my previous three children are all boys and while I rationally understand it's possible to have a daughter this time that makes it no easier to understand emotionally. It's great and I'm really excited to have a girl but if I had the nearly $200 it would cost for an additional ultrasound just to quickly confirm I'd do it.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#9 of 10 Old 07-06-2006, 04:04 PM

I wouldn't get an another ultrasound beyond my 20-week (which is tmw! woo hoo!) without a good medical reason. Needing to know the gender doesn't rise to that for me, but it sounds like this is really getting to you. If it's making you depressing and anxious, and you don't think you can come to terms with it and enjoy this pregnancy with this uncertainty, I'd say do it anyway, maybe just waiting a few more weeks.

As for the gift buying, tell those people to either hold off or stick to gender neutral things. Surely that isn't hard to do for a newborn? :

The truth is, even when we think we "know" things about our babies, they have all sorts of ways of confounding us. It keeps us on our toes! My instinct is that I am having a girl, despite the fact that DP's family only seems to produce boys. The ultrasound will likely clue us in. But we won't *really* know until some random day in late November, which as it turns out, I also have little control over!

Oh, my youngest sibling was supposed to be a girl. My mother was so sure of it, and so were the u/s techs. My mom went into labor thinking she was getting a third daughter when she got little Joshua instead! We decided to keep him anyway.
#10 of 10 Old 07-06-2006, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Well, my OB did put it in 3D mode today, but we didn't look at the genital area with it. He was trying to get a facial profile, but baby was facing my back (and is very much head down... way down low on my bladder! ). He also had his hand up by his face, making it even harder to see it. Guess he didn't want his picture taken, after we'd spent so much time looking at his well endowedness. But in 2D mode, it was super obvious that mine was a BOY. The doctor even said he was a "big boy".

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page