Belly anxiety - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-09-2006, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I don't visit this board as often as I would like, but just popped in to visit. I have been looking at all your belly pics and am very jealous of your beautiful bellies! My belly is still not very big and it is kind of freaking me out. I am still wearing regular clothes for the most part (pants one size bigger) and have only gained 8 pounds. Many people tell me that they can't even tell I'm pregnant yet (I am 20 weeks 3 days). This is my first pregnancy. I am slightly taller than average, had a somewhat slender frame before pregnancy and exercise moderately.

My uterus is at about the level of my belly button and my midwife tells me that my weight gain is within the normal range. But it gives me anxiety sometimes looking at the pictures when I can't find any bellies that look like mine I'm probably just being silly and should stop complaining about having a belly that is too small, but I just want to make sure that everything is going OK with the baby and that he/she is getting enough nutrition. I eat when I'm hungry but am not counting calories. I am getting an ultrasound the first week of August.

Anybody else with a small belly or I am the only one?

Stacy

Mom to son M (11/06), and twin daughters L & A (6/10).

#2 of 11 Old 07-09-2006, 01:46 PM

No worries, you are totally not the only one. Just a week ago I finally stopped being able to fit into my regular jeans. I hadn't even had to go up a size or anything! I've only gained three pounds, which for me is actually a big deal considering how much I lost in the first trimester. And my midwife says three pounds is totally awesome!

Is this your first baby? Because that seems to have a LOT to do with how fast you get big.

So really, don't worry at all. I swear you'll just wake up one morning and all of a sudden you'll look pregnant. It's totally surreal.

unbelievably proud mother to Darwin 11-22-2006
#3 of 11 Old 07-09-2006, 01:53 PM

I'm also 20 weeks, with my first. I have also only gained 3 pounds from my pre-preg weight, and that was all in the past 2 weeks. I didn't really start to look pregnant to people other than DP until about a week ago. Even now, I imagine that to most passersby, I just look vaguely chubby. But you know what? My ultrasound a couple of days ago revealed a completely perfect adorable little girl in there! So I wouldn't worry about it. Bellies just don't pop as soon for first-time mamas.
#4 of 11 Old 07-09-2006, 02:26 PM

With my first...I didn't show FOREVER!!! I think it wasn't till the seventh month where I really had a belly.

Now, at the 3rd baby...I showed right away because of the muscle memory....and I have only gained 3 lbs back of the 10 I lost in the first trimester.

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#5 of 11 Old 07-09-2006, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reassurance... I'm glad to hear that I am not only one with a little belly! This is my first and it was hard for us to get pregnant (we conceived through IVF), so I think I am just really nervous that everything is going OK.

I can't wait to start wearing maternity clothes

Stacy

#6 of 11 Old 07-09-2006, 04:44 PM
rad

It takes awhile for those first babies to pop out. I didn't need maternity clothes till I was baout 18-19 weeks along. Being my 4th, I've been in maternity clothes for what feels like forever.

If your uterus is where it should be and your gaining some weight, I'd say you baby is doing great.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#7 of 11 Old 07-11-2006, 11:19 AM

Think of it this way...

You have very good stomach muscles!! They are holding that growing uterus in very well! When you are pg with baby #2 your muscles (and skin) has already been stretched out, so it 'pops out' much more quickly!! MUCH more quickly!
So enjoy your nice tummy now...you may miss it later! hahahaha

Oh...and I've only gained about 8 lbs also...but I look about 7mo pg! I may be carrying extra water, or I may just have my uterus sitting way out there...but it is all 'normal!'
#8 of 11 Old 07-11-2006, 03:49 PM

Stacy,
I am going to post a pic of my belly, just for you. I am a size 14, and I am still wearing my pre-preggo clothes and have lost a total of 8lbs this pregnancy, not unusual for my pregnancies. I don't usually pop until 8 months then it is really noticeable. Baby is measuring fine and that's all that matters! I'll be back this week with a photo.

In peace
#9 of 11 Old 07-11-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Hos
Think of it this way...

You have very good stomach muscles!! They are holding that growing uterus in very well! When you are pg with baby #2 your muscles (and skin) has already been stretched out, so it 'pops out' much more quickly!! MUCH more quickly!
So enjoy your nice tummy now...you may miss it later! hahahaha
Ack! I'm being the exact opposite of what I should be doing in my second pregnancy. I think I've been sitting at 21 weeks for the last month. : Anyway...I'm just now starting to look pregnant and not like a fat girl that can't dress properly. This time last pregnancy was roughly when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and had gained a healthy 24lbs-I doubled my pregnancy weight in 4 weeks. So this time last pregnancy people were asking me if I was having twins. Now people are wondering if I just really really like ice cream.
#10 of 11 Old 07-11-2006, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine*girl
Ack! I'm being the exact opposite of what I should be doing in my second pregnancy. I think I've been sitting at 21 weeks for the last month. : Anyway...I'm just now starting to look pregnant and not like a fat girl that can't dress properly. This time last pregnancy was roughly when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and had gained a healthy 24lbs-I doubled my pregnancy weight in 4 weeks. So this time last pregnancy people were asking me if I was having twins. Now people are wondering if I just really really like ice cream.
This made me laugh I think I am at the stage where people can't tell whether I'm pregnant or just really like ice cream too! It's an easy mistake to make because I do really really like ice cream.

Stacy

#11 of 11 Old 07-12-2006, 05:57 AM

Well since I started the pregnancy as a fluffy gal it's just natural for people to think I've just gotten bigger. Dh tells me that I do look pregnant but I don't know how much to believe him. I'll have to wait a little longer for my brutally honest friend to come back from vacation so she can tell me if I look fat or pregnant.

Last time I weighed myself, about 2 weeks ago, I had only gained approximately 3 kg. Which is fantastic! I seriously think all those kilos have been gained by my chest.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page