gift for homebirth midwife? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-19-2006, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
CDS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to figure what is a good gift to thank her and her assistant after the birth??

any ideas?

My inlaws brough Krispy Kreme Donuts (I know!!) to the awesome hospital where I gave birth 2 yrs ago and the nurses went crazy over those and spoiled me rest of my stay there

TIA
#2 of 8 Old 08-19-2006, 08:24 PM

With my hospital birth of my dd, I brought lots and lots of chocolate for the nurses...
This time I'm also having a home birth and my birth attendants are all friends of mine who are volunteering their time to help me. I am 'donating' some of the supplies I buy to them...an Allen 10 Series fetoscope, a birth tub, and a scale!
#3 of 8 Old 08-19-2006, 08:34 PM

I couldn't think of anything in particular for my doctor (who, by her own admission, practices very much like a midwife - non-interventive, can't to epis under state law, etc... I love her). I didn't want to do flowers, I thought about a gift certificate for a local eatery... but didn't know what she/dh liked.

So on my son's first birthday, I made and brought cupcakes to the two offices she works at (and that I was seen at) and the LDR floor. I also included a thank you note for her and for the nurse who was my main contact through pregnancy. I did bring my son and flowers to my LDR nurse a few weeks after he was born - her shift ended about 2 hours before my labor did, and she even hung around an extra hour in hopes he would appear!
#4 of 8 Old 08-20-2006, 09:30 AM

I am into making homemade bath stuff, so I was thinking of making gift baskets full of goodies for my midwife, her assistant, and doula. I make soaps, candles, lip balm, lotion, bath salts, and shower scrubs. I have fairly easy recipes if anyone wants them (except for the soap, which is more complicated)!

Mom to son M (11/06), and twin daughters L & A (6/10).

#5 of 8 Old 08-20-2006, 10:32 AM

I am trying to think of something for my midwife too. I am mostly stuck because she is also my dd best friends mom so I *really* want it to be meaningful for her. She did just set up her own practice (she took her boards right before I got pregnant...like literally the day before!) and was an intern midwife when I contracted her...so not only is she delivering me she also became certified and licensed during my pregnancy!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#6 of 8 Old 08-20-2006, 09:58 PM

Hmmmmm. I think something home-made would be a really really great gift; maybe rolling some beeswax candles, or making muffins, or, when the babe arrives, a print of his/her feet mounted on card - something that could go in the office!
#7 of 8 Old 08-22-2006, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter
CDS

i like the idea of gift certificates as I can prepare it in advance.. i'm not so good with handmade items so will have to get something but heck I love gift certificates! hmmm will ask friends of MW and find their favorite places

thanks mamas!
#8 of 8 Old 08-22-2006, 10:54 AM

At my last birth I gave my midwife some lovely bath stuff. She loved it, and I was able to get it early and then forget about it.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page