Do you count kicks etc? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2006, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering if this is something I 'should' be doing? I know that a friend of mine does it every single night - counting 10 movements within a space of time - but I'm not clear on what the reasoning is...I can totally understand being aware of whether and how much babe is moving, but don't really understand the counting thing. Am I just being : ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2006, 11:08 PM

My Lamaze teacher told us that we should count movements if we are concerned that they have decreased.... drink a cold glass of water, lie down without any distractions and tick off each time that you feel a movement. It should be 10 in one hour. If that doesn't happen, drink a cold glass of orange juice and do the same time. If you don't count 10 this time, call your midwife or go to the hospital.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:43 AM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't do it. I just make sure I feel the baby often throughout the day. If I didn't feel him I would probably do the kick count.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

Old 08-21-2006, 01:02 AM

I never have.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Old 08-21-2006, 01:27 AM

He's active enough that I don't feel the need to. The only time I have is when I would have anxiety relating to pain or another weird feeling. It eased my mind to lie down and have a glass of water and count.

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
Old 08-21-2006, 03:23 AM

I never have. If I'm worried about a lack of movement, I drink some juice or eat something and wait a few minutes. Only time I did was during a non-stress test last pregnancy at 41 weeks... and I'll NEVER do that test again!
Old 08-21-2006, 08:43 AM

Our mw told us to do it only if it seems like he's not moving as much as usual but there's no need to start doing it otherwise.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:54 AM

I feel so much movement that i don't count... but if i noticed it went down i would!!

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_here
I never have. If I'm worried about a lack of movement, I drink some juice or eat something and wait a few minutes. Only time I did was during a non-stress test last pregnancy at 41 weeks... and I'll NEVER do that test again!
we have the same due date

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:05 AM

No... I never did either... Before going to bed I usually lay down on the couch and often have a little snack and babe usually wakes up and I love feeling kicks so I pay attention to them but only for my own enjoyment more then to "count"...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
Old 08-21-2006, 10:40 AM

My midwife told me to just be aware of any decrease in movement, and if that happens, do what the pps suggested (water, etc).

She said the "minimum of 10 kicks" rule is just another rigid thing developed by those who practice under the "medical model" of care, and it causes more anxiety than good. Babies differ a great deal and you probably know what is normal for your baby in terms of active times and how she/he moves, so just go with your instinct and not some arbitrarily-picked number.

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
Old 08-21-2006, 11:46 AM

Is it normal to not feel a lot of movement during the day (like for several hours at a time)? Sometimes when I am on the go (doing laundry, running errands, etc.) it seems like I don't feel him move for quite some time. I'm new at this so I don't have any idea

Mom to son M (11/06), and twin daughters L & A (6/10).

Old 08-21-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyAnn
Is it normal to not feel a lot of movement during the day (like for several hours at a time)? Sometimes when I am on the go (doing laundry, running errands, etc.) it seems like I don't feel him move for quite some time. I'm new at this so I don't have any idea
Very normal IMO... when we move around they seem to be rocked to sleep and then wake up when we slow down...
Often in the day when I am running around I don't feel much movement but I may feel hiccups a bit more... when I start to slow down baby wakes up and gets busy kicking...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
Old 08-21-2006, 12:01 PM

I've never counted kicks with any of my pregnancies. If I notice baby hasn't moved for a while I eat something/drink something and lie down for a while and that has always put my mind at ease.

Yes, it is normal to not feel baby much when you are busy and on the go a lot.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 08-21-2006, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the reassurance, Sheacoby and Paxye. I am naturally a worrier, and sometimes it freaks me out when I don't feel him for a while. It sounds like that is pretty normal, so I will try not to panic! It didn't help that at our last ultrasound the report said there might be a problem with my placenta (placental lakes) that means there is a 5-10% chance the baby would have growing issues. Now I am just paranoid!

Mom to son M (11/06), and twin daughters L & A (6/10).

Old 08-21-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxye
Very normal IMO... when we move around they seem to be rocked to sleep and then wake up when we slow down...
Often in the day when I am running around I don't feel much movement but I may feel hiccups a bit more... when I start to slow down baby wakes up and gets busy kicking...
Yes! And you know, this is why babywearing just make so much sense intuitively for newborns. Being carried is what they are used to! And our movement just conks them out. She sleeps the whole time we're on our boat, even if I am napping -- a point I am keeping in mind if we have sleep issues down the road.

I don't count kicks, but I have a pretty good sense of her routine at this point. I'm drinking my daily ration of a half a cup of coffee, so we're about to have a kick-o-rama! Her daddy's voice will also get her riled up, even if she's otherwise sleeping. (And amusingly, only daddy will do. Other deep male voices seem to have no effect.)
Old 08-21-2006, 07:04 PM

If I counted kicks.... I'd be counting all day throughout the day! He never stops kicking. I was told to count if there is concern of decreased movement like the PP mentioned. If your babe moves on a pretty regular basis, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've never counted either. I don't feel movement ALL the time or anything, but I'm also chasing a 2 year old around all day! Last pregnancy, I felt alot more when I had a desk job.

When I was reading about this last preg, the general midwife consensus was that kick counts just cause more worry for mom and don't really help anything. Obviously, if you notice a decrease in movement, doing what PPs said (eat/drink, lay down, and count kicks) is a good idea. I always feel movements when I sit down and start eating.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 08-22-2006, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2toomany
we have the same due date
Yay for a due date buddy!!!!

(I keep thinking it would be cool to sit down and organize the edds in order - but when I get a chance, I'm just so freaking tired!)
Old 08-22-2006, 11:11 PM

sometimes I won't feel him ten times in one hour and sometimes I'll feel him quadruple that in an hour...so I guess it all evens out.
I think I only did kick counts a very few times with my first just because they told me to do them...I don't know that I'll really bother to do it with this one.
Sometimes if we hadn't communicated in a while, I'd push on my belly to see if I could get a little hello :-)
erica

User Tag List